Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default And now my next question - Flip Keys!

Looking on eBay again (it will be the death of me no doubt!) I've come across various flip keys that look like they will suit the focus.

In particular, http://cgi.ebay.com.au/FORD-FLIP-KEY...item4aa6a3c69e

What I need to know is: Is it a simple case of once it arrives, take it down the local Mister Minit with one of my originals and get them to cut to match, then program the remote to the car? If so, is it difficult to program it? In the Falcon it was a case of hit the demister button a few times until the car was in "program" mode, then hit a button on the remote to train it. If the whole process is going to be as simple as this, I think it shall be my next purchase.

If people have tried these remotes with no luck, please let me know as I am keen on one, but obviously at ~$80 its not something I'm going to jump into as quickly and easily as the aluminum pedals which were only $35.

So, once again, any feedback/experiences/troubles etc you guys have had in the past with these would be much appreciated.

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

I've looked into these too. I have asked one ebay seller and they said the flip-key cannot be used with any Focus that does not originally use one. I'm still not 100% convinced though, would be damn handy to have a more compact key. Although if you google (image) search, you'll notice the internals of the two key types are a different shape. The research continues...
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for that information.

Maybe they run a different frequency or something to our original keys?

I thought I read one of the descriptions say something like "upgrade your key", but I could be mistaken.

If you do find out further information I would gladly hear it, even if it is negative news. Maybe even in the new year (after all the Christmas expenses and the like) I'll just lash and buy one if we haven't got any definitive answer, and give us all an answer, we'll see.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 03-12-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also suspect they have a security chip in them that needs to be programmed to the car which requires dealer visit. Check if you need the chip and its compatability as I doubt they come with the key fob.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys,

I have to say I've been down this path before with my LS. I can say quit now.

I have spent some $ on ebay with the flip keys, getting them cut was no problem. Getting the keyfobs to lock/unlock the car is also no problems, can be done yourself.

Getting the car to start is another main issue(if you think its important to start your cars!) LOL

the pats chips screw you bigtime, and I have even taken my LS down to the dealers who say they can code the flip keys pats chip into the car pcu, and no luck!

Its a complete waste of time. The LS's just dont work with the flip pats chip I think. The LT's on the other hand do come with the flip keys, and can be coded into the car's PCU if you bought additional flip keys from ebay etc.

I ended up selling one of my flip keys on ebay and kept the other as spare for me xr6.

Trying to get these to work is time consuming, and waste of $. Getting them cut is another thing.

Sad but true. There is one alternate and that is to cut away the pats chip from the flip key fob. Cut up one of your original keyfobs pats chip(becareful as its a fragile glass), and stick tape it near your ignition key switch. Defeats the purporse of anti-theft tho.

just my two cents worth of experience. If you guys have some luck, let me know. Even tho I am over the flip key thing

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.

Last edited by imaz; 03-12-2010 at 03:06 PM.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #6
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Imaz - thanks for both your answer that it won't work and detailed reasoning behind.

As per your advise, I'll (unfortunately!) forget the whole idea, and save myself the time and money.

Appreciate it.
Quote:
Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

No key FTW
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2010, 07:35 PM   #8
rand0mn00b

I can second the above. You can cut the keys to unlock your doors/bonnet easily, and you can program the radio code for the remote unlock etc. yourself (instructions in your car's book)

As for the immobiliser, that's where it will cost $$$ for a dealer to re-programme it. I have an LT so it was possible but costly.

The main benefit for me is when my existing flip key's casing becomes damaged so I can replace it with the enclosure from the one I bought. That is all.
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 03:21 AM   #9
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
I can second the above. You can cut the keys to unlock your doors/bonnet easily, and you can program the radio code for the remote unlock etc. yourself (instructions in your car's book)

As for the immobiliser, that's where it will cost $$$ for a dealer to re-programme it. I have an LT so it was possible but costly.

The main benefit for me is when my existing flip key's casing becomes damaged so I can replace it with the enclosure from the one I bought. That is all.
My I add, the LT's and those models with the flip keys. All you need to do to add additional pats key to the system is you need is two original keys. Then with the instructions you can add your additional keys withouts getting a dealer to do it.

But with the LS, you needed the dealer to attach their computer to your car to physically code in the pats key number. But for me, it did not work.

Having said that, it maybe possible my keyfob I got from ebay may of been a dud?

I gave up.

Imaz

Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM   #10
sailaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz
My I add, the LT's and those models with the flip keys. All you need to do to add additional pats key to the system is you need is two original keys. Then with the instructions you can add your additional keys withouts getting a dealer to do it.

But with the LS, you needed the dealer to attach their computer to your car to physically code in the pats key number. But for me, it did not work.

Having said that, it maybe possible my keyfob I got from ebay may of been a dud?

I gave up.
Damn shame needing the original two keys as I have lost the original flip key.

I was thinking about this one from DealExtreme
Focus 3-Button Remote and 4D Transponder Smart Flip Key *
USDPrice: $66.74 free shipping
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16665
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #11
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Then with the instructions you can add your additional keys withouts getting a dealer to do it.
orly? from memory the manual says I need to see my dealer about that... it only has instructions on programming the remote central locking.

Also, my LT came with 1 flip key and 1 normal one. Not sure about other owners...
Old 05-12-2010, 11:02 PM   #12
sailaway

Quote:
Also, my LT came with 1 flip key and 1 normal one. Not sure about other owners...
Ditto! Same here.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #13
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
orly? from memory the manual says I need to see my dealer about that... it only has instructions on programming the remote central locking.

Thats fine. That is two original sets. ie, with the two original keys you just need to add a third, no problems. The manuals wont say how to do it! Of course it wont.

Instructions below:-(UK ford forum has more info if you are stuck. Its a european design car so their a bit more indepth with their cars). But the below is the only thing you need to know.

Insert your existing key into the vehicle's ignition and turn it to the "On" position then back to the "Off" position. Remove the key from the ignition.

Insert a second working key, if you have it, into the ignition. Cycle the second key to "On" then back to "Off." Remove this key from the ignition.

Insert a new replacement key into the ignition. Cycle the key to the "On" position and leave it there for one second before returning it to the "Off" position.

Wait for the security light to turn on to indicate that the programming sequence has started.

Leave the replacement key in the ignition for 10 minutes before removing it. After 10 minutes, the key will be programmed and ready for use immediately.

Repeat Steps 3 through 5 to program any additional replacement keys.

Yes, the manuals only show how to add additional remotes for key lock and unlock.

The dealer will do the above steps firsts. Lock smiths, who cut ford keys also use the above method of programming too. And the final way to do it, is have the dealer attach their computer to your pcu and doing it the hard coding method if all else fails.

Imaz

Last edited by imaz; 06-12-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 02:06 PM   #14
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway
Damn shame needing the original two keys as I have lost the original flip key.

I was thinking about this one from DealExtreme
Focus 3-Button Remote and 4D Transponder Smart Flip Key *
USDPrice: $66.74 free shipping
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16665
Thats cheap, and I didnt know dealx sell such things.

Imaz

Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #15
rand0mn00b

awesome post, thanks imaz!
Old 08-12-2010, 03:03 PM   #16
SpasticBus
Indifferent

Quote:
Insert your existing key into the vehicle's ignition and turn it to the "On" position then back to the "Off" position. Remove the key from the ignition.

Insert a second working key, if you have it, into the ignition. Cycle the second key to "On" then back to "Off." Remove this key from the ignition.

Insert a new replacement key into the ignition. Cycle the key to the "On" position and leave it there for one second before returning it to the "Off" position.

Wait for the security light to turn on to indicate that the programming sequence has started.

Leave the replacement key in the ignition for 10 minutes before removing it. After 10 minutes, the key will be programmed and ready for use immediately.

Repeat Steps 3 through 5 to program any additional replacement keys.
I only have the one flip key for my 08 LT Focus. Can you still follow this procedure (anyone)? Step two indicated "if you have it".
SpasticBus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2010, 03:54 PM   #17
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
No key FTW
AMEN!

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #18
sadams
Starter Motor

I have an LS and for me it was a case of buy the remote section from dealer, buy the key section from dealer ($200), have key cut ($50), have dealer program key($50).
This was in 2007, prices may have come down since these keys were issued as standard...
sadams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2010, 12:28 PM   #19
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams
I have an LS and for me it was a case of buy the remote section from dealer, buy the key section from dealer ($200), have key cut ($50), have dealer program key($50).
This was in 2007, prices may have come down since these keys were issued as standard...
So, did this work for you?

Which dealer, because Lynford(osborne park, wa) couldnt get it working for me.

Imaz

Old 16-12-2010, 08:10 PM   #20
sadams
Starter Motor

Yeah, works just fine.

It was Mid Coast Ford up in Forster NSW. Took a lot of convincing to get them to order the flip key, as they initially said is was XR5-only.

Once they did, though... no problem.
sadams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2010, 06:12 PM   #21
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadams
Yeah, works just fine.

It was Mid Coast Ford up in Forster NSW. Took a lot of convincing to get them to order the flip key, as they initially said is was XR5-only.

Once they did, though... no problem.
Well there you have it folks, it may work for you too...

Hows the flip key going for you? I had given up the idea for my focus and by the time I would get it working, the car would be 4 years old and hardly worth the flip key

I ended up getting an fg xr6 as a second car which has the flip keys

Imaz