Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 12-09-2005, 06:52 PM   #1
yo_stock

Default Diff Question

Hey, i have a EAII, and if i was to change the diff ratio, how do i make the speedo correct on the new ratio?

It is a GL, and im puttin in a fairmont ghia (89 model) diff.

What is there to change, and where is it?

Thanx alot.

yo_stock is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 07:22 PM   #2
Damo
Banned

an 89' Ghia diff is most likely going to be a 2.77 ratio lsd, you'd be going backwards..?
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 07:34 PM   #3
niko
likes falcon's

apparently series 2 has 3.08lsd! what ive heard no clue but.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

It would want to be September (or thereabouts) '89 model or later in order to be the 3.08 LSD.

To correct the speedo, the speedo sender gear in the transmission will need to be changed. This small part is inexpensive and widely available even at wreckers.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
EDXR6T

ill prob sell my 3.27 gears if i get my 3.47 diff soon if u wunt that give us a pm
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Damo
Banned

EA2 Ghias actually had a 3.23 lsd, sphell has one in his car which he has upgraded the gears to 3.9's. No such thing as a factory 3.08 LSD boys. :P
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2005, 10:29 PM   #7
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
EA2 Ghias actually had a 3.23 lsd, sphell has one in his car which he has upgraded the gears to 3.9's. No such thing as a factory 3.08 LSD boys. :P

Yeah i had an EA Fairmont diff which was 3.23LSD and also had 28 spline axles! If you go for a more wild diff ratio (non-factory ratio) you can also correct the speedo with a digital speedo corrector kit from jaycar electronics.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2005, 09:45 PM   #8
yo_stock

Thanx alot, does any one no off hand if i could get them from like super cheap auto, or autobarn?

Cheers, I'm pritty sure it has 3.23 on it, maybe it has been changed?? or it could even be a series two.. wasnt too sure on that..

Thanx alot.
Old 14-09-2005, 09:57 PM   #9
MrQuan
Social Disaster

I recently went from a 3.23 free wheeler to a 3.73 LSD. To correct the speed I built a "Speedo corrector kit" from Jaycar and patched it in at the guage cluster (before the speedo and ECU - direct from the speed transducer). Then I just select the % error, and it works fine! Fixed all the shift point problems I was having too

Edit: Here's the Jaycar kit details...

"Digital Speedo Corrector"
Cat Number: KC-5380
$44.95

...and then just wack it in the HB-6016 jiffy-box ($3.25).

3.73 LSD | Darkest legal tint | tinted back lights | Sprayed Dash | Custom Trims
Sound System:
Fusion front splits, rear 3-ways, and 2 x 12" subs with ctrl, 3 x Fusion amps | Clarion HU | 1F Cap | 60GB Zen Xtra | 800W RMS output!

Last edited by MrQuan; 14-09-2005 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Jaycar kit details
MrQuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2005, 02:11 PM   #10
yo_stock

Hey MrQuan,

So u put this unit, were abouts is it mounted physically? Was it directly behind the dash cluster?

Just a bit confused about the wire that goes to the computer?? And were is the original one located?

Thanx alot.