Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2024, 11:46 AM   #1
TheBlueBa06
Starter Motor

Default Territory Struts into RTV

Just curious how it works and what needs to be done to make them fit comfortably. I've seen plenty of RTV's that say they have territory front struts and custom rear leaves to lift them an extra x amount and they look great but I don't know if the front struts just drop straight it or not and if they do, is the suspension geometry still close enough to the RTV struts that its not gonna completely destroy the bushes and ball joints in half the amount of time it should.
TheBlueBa06 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2024, 11:51 PM   #2
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Territory Struts into RTV

If you want more height, put bigger wheels on it.
E-series 16s, 235/70 tyres will give you 30mm extra.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-05-2024, 02:37 AM   #3
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlueBa06 View Post
is the suspension geometry still close enough to the RTV struts that its not gonna completely destroy the bushes and ball joints in half the amount of time it should.
struts arent going to change ANY of the front end geometry, its no different to the people hell bent on using strut spacers or longer springs, its still pushing the angular movement of the ball joints past their working limit, especially under full suspension droop.
Old 08-05-2024, 11:18 AM   #4
TheBlueBa06
Starter Motor

Well yes they aren't going to "change" the geometry but if with the struts fitted, it would be forcing the ball joints past its working range half the time then they would be forcing the rest of the suspension components past where they want to be and it would all get worn out and stuffed too quickly, no?. That's why I asked because I assumed the strut would be too long for it to fit properly but I've seen people say they have them fitted and I'm curious on how to do it properly without destroying the front end.
Old 08-05-2024, 09:12 PM   #5
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

..... why use a territory front strut? The correct struts are readily available for B series RTV's, and will push the suspension to what is, unfortunately, past the angular limit of the stock ball joints, any further than stock RTV ride height is compromising the lifespan of the ball joints.
I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to achieve by using a strut thats designed for a different vehicle.
Old 09-05-2024, 03:45 PM   #6
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

I don't believe anyone has fitted them and not ruined the car, they are way too long.

Territory at top of pic, Falcon below. RTV is somewhere in between.
Old 10-05-2024, 10:48 AM   #7
TheBlueBa06
Starter Motor

Yeah, right fair enough. I'm a young bloke and I'm just going off the stuff I've read, that why I figured I'd ask the question. And to answer why I would want to fit a strut from a different car. For the lift, I do a lot of driving in places Falcons don't exactly belong and its cheaper to buy some struts and tyres than to buy a 4wd.
Old 10-05-2024, 11:42 AM   #8
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An RTV with bigger wheels has near 4" more ground clearance than a Prado or Hilux.
My RTV wagon has about 330mm to the front crossmember. Sway bar hangs a bit low, but if you're real worried on the rough stuff undo the links and swing it out of the way.
Not sure how a Territory has a longer strut when it has less clearance than an RTV anyway.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2024, 01:26 PM   #9
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Not sure how a Territory has a longer strut when it has less clearance than an RTV anyway.
The Territory strut is so long because the Territory stub axle (knuckle) extends way below the centre of the wheel. Meaning the lower suspension arm and front crossmember are much lower than in the Falcon. That's why Territory have less ground clearance than an RTV, AWD's Territory's (pictured) have a driveshaft where the Falcon/RTV lower suspension arm is.

Last edited by Raptor; 10-05-2024 at 01:31 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post