Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-12-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

Default Transferring rego from VIC to NSW

Ive just bought a ute from Melbourne, private sale.

With regards to rego, can I transfer the remaining rego, or do I have to pay for another 12 months?

Old 18-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
Werd.
nou

I think the rego still applys in another state, but when you get it renewed it will have to pass a pink slip and a NSW registration slip. Unless you go down to melbourne and update rego.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2007, 02:29 PM   #3
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

been told by RTA that I only have to get a blue slip, no pink slip as it is a 3 month old car..
Old 18-12-2007, 10:03 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

Reece

no you cant keep the balance of rego from Vic into NSW, as far as the RTA are concerned it is a brand new car to NSW and you have to start out as if it were brand new, if that makes sense.
Old 18-12-2007, 11:26 PM   #5
nobbystang

So in simple terms, hand the plates in and you'll get a receipt from the RTA which from memory you send to the relevant state RTA??, later you'll receive a cheque from them for the balance of the unused rego. Then bend over as the NSW RTA try and draw every single dollar out of you!! Blue slip, Green slip then finally rego.

Previous:
2011 SZ Territory Titanium
2008 Ford Edge AWD Limited
Silhouette BF XR6, ZF Auto
White EF GLi, XR look alike
VH Commodore
nobbystang is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Reece

no you cant keep the balance of rego from Vic into NSW, as far as the RTA are concerned it is a brand new car to NSW and you have to start out as if it were brand new, if that makes sense.
Thanks for the info Aust.

So, say if I was to go in and pay the stamp duty, but not change the rego until it ran out? Would there be any problems with that, other than it is still in the original owners name?
Old 19-12-2007, 09:16 AM   #7
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hambo_12
Thanks for the info Aust.

So, say if I was to go in and pay the stamp duty, but not change the rego until it ran out? Would there be any problems with that, other than it is still in the original owners name?
I bought a car from Vic over a month ago, been driving around on Vic rego since, plan on doing it for awhile yet and will do until i get in trouble for it or the rego runs out. Havn't had any trouble yet, been through random breath tests and the like and havn't been asked questions about the rego.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #8
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Straight from the NSW RTA website

Second-hand vehicles currently or previously registered interstate
To register a second-hand vehicle that is currently or was previously registered interstate, you will need to attend a motor registry in person and provide:

Proof of your identity or, if registering the vehicle in the name of a company or organisation, proof that the company or organisation is a legal entity (see related link above right).
A representative’s authority if the vehicle is being registered in the name of a company or other organisation. For a company, the Director or an authorised delegate must complete and sign the Representative’s section on the Application for Registration form or provide a letter of authorisation on company letterhead. In the case of an incorporated association, the public officer must sign. In all cases, the authorised representative must provide proof of their identity. A representative’s authority may also be supplied for new vehicles registered in the name of a person.
A representative’s authority cannot be supplied if you are registering the vehicle in the name of a person, you must attend the motor registry yourself. If the vehicle is being registered in joint names, one person may authorise the other to attend on their behalf (as long as the person who is not attending is recorded on the RTA computer system).
Proof of acquisition (eg a receipt for purchase of the vehicle, certificate of registration signed by the previous registered operator/s of the vehicle, or the previous certificate of registration in the same name if coming from interstate).
Proof of your residential address (see related link above right).
A valid Compulsory Third Party insurance policy – also known as a green slip - in hard copy format with the number plate section blank (not required for trailers).
Your interstate number plates – you’ll have to surrender your interstate plates before you’ll be given NSW plates.
An inspection report – also known as a blue slip – from an Authorised Unregistered Vehicle Inspection Station (AUVIS). For AUVIS fees, see Vehicle Inspectors Bulletin 18 available from the related link above right.
A completed Application for Registration form (see RTA Forms at the bottom of this page).
Evidence of eligibility for any pensioner or other concessions (see related links to Pensioner concessions and Apprentice registration rebate above right).
An engineer’s certificate if the vehicle has been modified beyond the ‘owner-certified’ level or is an Individually Constructed Vehicle (ICV).
Evidence of repair if the vehicle has been a repairable write-off (eg letters or receipts from repairers and a written off vehicle report from AUVIS).
Payment for registration, including registration fee, motor vehicle tax (or national heavy vehicle charges as applicable), stamp duty if applicable plus the applicable number plate fee.
All vehicles presented in order to establish registration (including interstate and imported vehicles) may require an additional inspection by the RTA's Vehicle Identification Inspection Unit (VIIU). You will be notified at the time of registration if your vehicle requires an inspection. Vehicles requiring a VIIU inspection are subject to inspection fees.

nb - you have 3 months to effect the changeover. You will be slugged for full stamp duty, and 12 months rego from the date of rego(along with the blue & green slip costs already paid). If you are going to be putting your own plates on your "new" purchase then you are going to be hit up for that at the time of purchase as well - be prepared. If you are 'lucky' enough to be chosen for a Vehicle identification check (I was told that they target 'high-risk' vehicles. Ones likely to be rebirthed etc) then you will be asked to pay for the priveledge - another $408. Means you are best off getting it out of the way sooner rather then later. On the bright side, you can claim back the balance of old rego from interstate registry(though with the cancelation fee may not be worth the additional effort.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
hambo_12
Iz German, Iz Gooood...

Thanks Wulos, you are a champion! I had a look at the RTA website, but obvioulsy not a good enough one. It has 8-9 months rego left, so I would like to claim the balance back. Do you know if I can I do it over the phone, or do I have to attend a VIC registration office?
Old 19-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #10
plext
Forum Director

In my experience, there is not a lot that is too random about the vehicle identification check.

I have done 3 cars in the past couple of years (though admittedly 2 of which were from overseas) and each one has had to be done. It's not a big deal, but rather just a pain if you don't happen to live very close to one of the seemingly well spread out inspection centres.
plext is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Not sure about the vic side of things - I still had 3 months left on an interstate rego that was changed over only a month or so back so didn't bother. Figured that after the cancelation costs, they'd prob wanna hit my pocket for even more.
In NSW they make you do EVERYTHING in person, or via an 'authorised rep' - still need to have paperwork signed by yourself.
I suspect that one of the Vic boys would be able to help you out with that one.
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post