Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Is it intelligent to buy a new car, mod it immediately and void the warranty?
No, you pay for a warranty, its not very intelligent 7 53.85%
YES, who cars about warranty I want POWA!! 3 23.08%
YES, but after the first year/20,000km to at least flush out any obvious issues 2 15.38%
YES, I could return to stock and try trick ford if it goes pair shaped. 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:26 PM   #1
HULK_I6T
Banned

Default modding your car before warranty expires? a good move?

There has been more than a few threads when people shoot from the hip and start modding their cars well within their warranty period, some unbelievably right from brand new..

Why is it that these people think that a warranty is worth nothing? They think a tune costs $1500 to unlock considerable power such as in the I6T or Miami, but they dont realise they are also tearing up probably more than $5000 in warranty that they paid for. Also taking on the risk of a costly repair even if they are a manufacturers fault.

Yes its their car to do what they want but its not really a sensible choice.. Its like buying a red car and painting it blue day 1... why not just buy a blue car? makes no sense does it.. Then why would people buy a new car with a warranty and then immediately void it?

I say if you want to mod a car and tear up the warranty, dont buy it new... buy it out of warranty

Last edited by HULK_I6T; 12-11-2014 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 
Default Re: modding your car before warranty expires? a good move?

Another useless theory? Each to their own. People buy things and modify them all the time, some people have more money then others and don't care if it blows up, they just fix it and move on.
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 06:41 PM   #3
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess it depends on your bank account, if you have the do ray me........ why not.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #4
Wolfinsheepsclothing
preying on lions

give me power any day and no I'm not rich
Old 12-11-2014, 07:00 PM   #5
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Another useless theory? Each to their own. People buy things and modify them all the time, some people have more money then others and don't care if it blows up, they just fix it and move on.
Yep and there's an option in the poll for those people to tick. Useless theory????........what

I say respect the warranty unless you can get a heads up that your mods won't affect the warranty.(an exhaust for eg.) Otherwise it's too risky for this black duck.
Old 12-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #6
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
Copy that mate Fix break repair repeat .. works for me ....
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I particularly enjoy the fact that a thread aimed at calling into question the intelligence of those who mod includes these little gems:

No, you pay for a warranty, its not very intelligent
YES, who cars about warranty I want POWA [SIC - on purpose, I presume, but perhaps not]!!
YES, I could return to stock and try trick ford if it goes pair shaped.

LOL

Given the intent of this thread, I suggest it ought to be locked as it has the potential to go down hill very quickly.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is nothing wrong with modding a car straight up from new.
All the better if you can afford to pay for any failures if they do occur.
In most cases good tunes, exhaust systems, suspension upgrades and the like enhance vehicles, they don’t destroy them.
And if something fails that is not caused by the mods, the manufacturer still has to honour the warranty.
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:26 PM   #9
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn't we just have a thread on this?

This one starts off judgemental too " .... shoot form the hip and start modding their cars .... "
Old 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
MrEL
Sick Puppy

The spelling mistakes in the poll show that someone here is nowhere near as intelligent as they attempt to make out.
If people wait for the warranty to expire the cars will have over 150000km on them.
Going by the vast depth of the Hulk pool of knowledge , their cars will be about to explode and die a violent death killing all around them at those KMs , so therefore it would be silly for people to spend money modifying it when odds on chance it will turn into a pile of dust in the driveway much like a vampire in sunlight.

Why do you care Hulk? You are just a troll and a gossip. Is the basis behind this question that you don't like the fact that people can buy a brand new High performance Falcon , spend a few grand modifying it , go out and repeatably hand your favourite C63 its **** ,wear the cost of a few driveline breakages and still have enough change for strippers and beer instead of buying the C63?
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:42 PM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I knew of someone who bought a new Corrolla, added legal sized after market wheels and then went to the dealer to complain about something under the bonnet but the dealer voided the warranty because of the aftermarket wheels. Nothing to do with the engine. It is because of this underhanded 'if I can get away without honouring our agreement I will' mentality that I will never modify a vehicle while it is under warranty so that the scum dealers can weasel their way out of a contract.

After the warranty (extended warranty included) is finished, I'll do what I want.

Again, this is just me.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:44 PM   #12
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEL View Post
The spelling mistakes in the poll show that someone here is nowhere near as intelligent as they attempt to make out.
If people wait for the warranty to expire the cars will have over 150000km on them.
Going by the vast depth of the Hulk pool of knowledge , their cars will be about to explode and die a violent death killing all around them at those KMs , so therefore it would be silly for people to spend money modifying it when odds on chance it will turn into a pile of dust in the driveway much like a vampire in sunlight.

Why do you care Hulk? You are just a troll and a gossip. Is the basis behind this question that you don't like the fact that people can buy a brand new High performance Falcon , spend a few grand modifying it , go out and repeatably hand your favourite C63 its **** ,wear the cost of a few driveline breakages and still have enough change for strippers and beer instead of buying the C63?
Funny you should mention the C63 - I surprised a CSL C63AMG just yesterday. He took off for a blast to the speed limit from an on ramp to a 100 zone, and I think he was very surprised to find me still 5 car lengths behind him - the same position I occupied at the start of his little acceleration run from around 60km/h.

Oops, was that off topic? How silly. My car is modded; it was before warranty expired by the previous owner, and it has done around 35,000km with the current tune with no issues other than it is fast when I need it to be, and sedate the other 99.5% (OK, 50%) of the time!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 12-11-2014, 08:54 PM   #13
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post
There has been more than a few threads when people shoot from the hip and start modding their cars well within their warranty period, some unbelievably right from brand new..

Why is it that these people think that a warranty is worth nothing? They think a tune costs $1500 to unlock considerable power such as in the I6T or Miami, but they dont realise they are also tearing up probably more than $5000 in warranty that they paid for. Also taking on the risk of a costly repair even if they are a manufacturers fault.

Yes its their car to do what they want but its not really a sensible choice.. Its like buying a red car and painting it blue day 1... why not just buy a blue car? makes no sense does it.. Then why would people buy a new car with a warranty and then immediately void it?

I say if you want to mod a car and tear up the warranty, dont buy it new... buy it out of warranty
How did you "calculate" the $5,000?

I suspect you are just talking out your ***, but please, if you have some kind of economic model that assigns values to unsaleable items, I'm all ears.....
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Ever tried getting warranty out of some Ford dealerships? Trying to get blood out of a stone cause they all do that.

I modified my Focus while it was covered under warranty, nothing serious but FMIC, springs and shocks.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #15
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
How did you "calculate" the $5,000?

I suspect you are just talking out your ***, but please, if you have some kind of economic model that assigns values to unsaleable items, I'm all ears.....
He must have a way to value an unsaleable item.
He puts a value to his thoughts and tries to sell them to everyone.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 09:03 PM   #16
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Next year i wanna buy a new AMG Black edition and mod the crap out of it...

Chrome wiper blades/ hello kitty seatbelt covers...

Just so i can post a thread about blowing my warranty and engine to smithereenies with a 300 shot and simply fix break repeat

Hulk will have a coronary no doubt ?
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #17
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6menace View Post
Next year i wanna buy a new AMG Black edition and mod the crap out of it...

Chrome wiper blades/ hello kitty seatbelt covers...

Just so i can post a thread about blowing my warranty and engine to smithereenies with a 300 shot and simply fix break repeat

Hulk will have a coronary no doubt ?
Don't forget the love heart shaped exhaust tips.
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I modded my brand new car from day one, each to their own.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #19
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Of course ..... anyone can start a thread about near on most subjects ...... but, this was done a couple of weeks ago ending in disaster.

Why?

Because the nature of this thread already insinuates that those who mod within warranty period are not intelligent for starters.

No one has the right to determine the mindset of anyone else's purchases and decisions on these matters? Isn't it up to the individual to decide when and what they spend their money on? It isn't a matter of intelligence, stupid or whatever. It comes down to what people want and if they can afford to do it. That was determined from the last thread.

Their money, their decision. No one is right or wrong.

Budget of $150,000 to buy a car so a $80,000 car is bought with the intention of being modified from new? Thread now invalid!

Threads are, in the main, here for some quality and pleasing discussion. Not to brand a group of people idiots!!!!

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by Auslandau; 12-11-2014 at 09:37 PM.
9 users like this post:
Closed Thread