Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-06-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
stockNAfairlane

Default My experience with eBay so far (as a new seller)

Hi guys, i recently posted the "Am i being scammed?" thread, thought i'd update on how my experience as a first time seller on ebay has gone.

I put about 6 things up for sale on ebay, so far 3 have sold to legitimate buyers (a car, a graphics card and an old sony psp).

I've had 3 negative experiences so far, I've had a guy claim his little brother took his phone and bidded on an item and he is now backing out of the sale, i've had one person buy an item and go completely silent and i have to wait 4 days to send a dispute and i had a very obvious scammer try and buy an item and try scam me.

So all up so far ebay has a 50% loser/scammer rate, this combined with the fees i have to pay, the time i have wasted and the potential for loss of goods/money to scammers mean i will never again put anything up for sale on ebay and will recommend everybody i know to never use the service. I should've believed all the horror stories i read about ebay before i tried to sell anything there.

What have your experiences been like?
stockNAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #2
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: My experience with eBay so far (as a new seller)

ebay is a big head ****,sellers have no rights,buyers do what they want,paypal rip you off royally apart from that its ok..
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

No need to take out insurance on an item

Paypal are hapy to make the seller pay if Aust Post damage an item

Only use eBay as a last resort now - and I WILL CHARGE for insurance (and then some)
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 07:34 PM   #4
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been using Ebay for over 10 years.
The wife and I have bought and sold 420 times and never really had any major hassles.
We have 100% positive feedback.
We've bought and sold interstate and over seas with no problems.
Much better than the old days when I used the Trading Post.

Like anything you buy or sell you have to have your wits about you.
I've bought a few things off Gumtree but much prefer eBay.

I love Ebay 😍😍😍
Tex Scrotum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2015, 07:45 PM   #5
cosworthfreak

You may have had a bad run, or it could be because you haven't sold anything on ebay before and some scammers/timewasters thought you'd be a soft touch.

Apart from a few late payments and a couple of smart ar@@es, I'd say about 2-3% of buyers try to make trouble or scam me. You just calmly go through the ebay/Paypal processes, ban the offending buyer, and relist as soon as you can.
cosworthfreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

I sold a bunch of FPV parts on eBay last year. Got stupidly high money for it all.

One thing that I knew in advance: When sending anything, make sure that someone has to sign for it (ie proof of delivery).
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-06-2015, 11:54 PM   #7
FormulaFG
Lurking......
Donating Member1

Been buying and selling on ebay for over 12 years. Well and truly over the place as a seller.

Ebay fees are through the roof now, then you have to pay pay-pal fees as well. Sellers cant leave negative feedback anymore and people use this to their advantage. Worst thing ebay ever did doing that.

Buyers have all the rights and sellers have none. Very difficult to make a quid off it anymore. You can get stuffed around until the cows come home and there really isn't anything that can be done about it.

I only use it to buy these days and even that is getting painful.
FormulaFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
AAXR8

Some people love wasting your time on Ebay and one time I was selling a Car and this Guy sounded so interested that the car was pretty much sold till he arrived with his mate and he didn't even have his L's so I sent him on his way!
I guess with Ebay its not the same especially with ebay selling for Target, Supercheap and a range of different companys! And where there's money there's scammers! On any Website! Just some tips I use= So Anything over $300 I would pick it up so I know its ok! I wouldn't buy a car unless I Looked at it first etc There Use to be Crazy Bargains on there but now its all changed and if you don't know the Base price of what your looking for sometimes you can over spend! So my advice to you is don't stop as yet always let them contact you via Email so you can decide if they are decent or Not worth bothering with! Sometimes if what your selling is over $300 to know people are for real ask them to look at product in person before they bid? If its cheaper the Ball is in YOUR court! You can PM me if I can give any other advice!
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2015, 12:46 PM   #9
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Fees fees and more fees is how i would sumerize
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 02:00 PM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

Ebay is set up to protect the buyer, I've has a few complaints as a seller and having no rights.

Many items I "sell" never get posted as they never get paid for, then I re-list weeks later and the bidders have all purchased elsewhere.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 02:02 PM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO View Post
Ebay is set up to protect the buyer, I've has a few complaints as a seller and having no rights.

Many items I "sell" never get posted as they never get paid for, then I re-list weeks later and the bidders have all purchased elsewhere.
The seller has NO RIGHTS

As a seller I learnt (the HARD way) that you don't need to pay for insurance.

If the item gets damaged in transit you need to do a full refund to the buyer plus postage.
Old 23-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #12
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I rate eBay.
But there are plenty of complaints so I have to ask the question....
What are the alternatives?
Buying or selling interstate is a nightmare using Gumtree etc.

I know Ebays not perfect but it's worked well for me.
Tex Scrotum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #13
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Think it depends what you're buying and selling also.....I have a crusty old watch habit and buying and selling both are almost flawless experiences. That said I'd hate to be flogging car parts...

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 05:13 PM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Does not matter if you use Ebay not you always going to get a percentage of time wasters, scammers & low lifes!!!
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 06:01 PM   #15
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

And now a purchasr can dispute a paypal transaction up to 180 days after the original transaction.

The complain, money is withdrawn from your paypal account and you can't do anything about it.

It is a good place for buyers, an increasingly bad place for sellers.

If you are going to sell high end items, make cash payment on collection the option.

They are a law unto themselves and they will decline as thier offering decreases is usability and value. Something else will pop up.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2015, 06:37 PM   #16
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
They are a law unto themselves and they will decline as thier offering decreases is usability and value. Something else will pop up.
^^^^This.
Old 23-06-2015, 06:39 PM   #17
stockNAfairlane

I'm totally through with it, between the fees and the scammers i'm better off just becoming a hoarder or the worlds most generous uncle and give everything away.
stockNAfairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 07:01 PM   #18
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have sold over $10k worth of stuff on ebay and i would rather use it then Gumtree/Trading Post or forums sell pages.

You do get the non buyers whom disappear after buying something etc, takes a long time to sort etc but at the end of the day still prefer it over Gumtree/Trading Post/Forums For Sale.

Have had a guy win an item, come and pick it up and pay with cash and claim to be $20 short and whether thats ok or not. Told him to find a ATM at the local shopping centre and buzz me when coming back. He didnt.

Bought and sold on Facebook Sell pages also, no dramas there but have heard of issues where people came and tried not to pay and police had to be called and the seller being told by the 'buyer' that his and his daughters necks were gonna get cut
Pretty frakd up

Prefer ebay
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2015, 10:13 PM   #19
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

I've got a brilliant idea....
How about we have like a newspaper that we advertise our stuff in?
Like with your description, price and phone number..
Ring up, discuss the particular item, get address etc, and go see and buy it... With CASH.. (Anyone remember that cash $20, $50, $100 stuff?)
We could call the newspaper "The Trading Post" or Saturday Age?
Plus, I bet Nigeria, merchant seamen or oilrig workers wouldn't get a copy??
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2015, 11:12 PM   #20
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been an ebay member since 2000, with well over 1100 transactions balanced between buying and selling. Yes it is biased towards the buyer and large entities selling container loads of cheap import junk but it is still the only game on at the moment especially if you want to sell worldwide. There will always be people who play on the wrong side no matter what the selling medium is.
Bill.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:40 PM   #21
Mickyjj
Car Novice, IT guru

I am an ebay aholic.
(The first step is admitting it)

I have bought hundreds of things, only ever had 2 things go wrong.
1) Fake Compact flash card for my camera (Got a full refund)
2) Ordered a camera lens that never came (Paypal refunded me)

I agree ebay is more for the buyer however 18 months ago I started to sell.

I have sold thousands of dollars of gadgets on eBay. The store started slow, (1 item a fortnight), After 6 months, 1 a week. After 8 Months, 2-3 a week. Now I sell something every 1.5 days.

The fees are killer. Even as a store owner, it is hard to make money. Paypal also get a slice.

I have yet to get anyone whom scams me in anyway. I have had a few delayed packages to clients and a few returns as they were faulty however, I think ebay is awesome ... only if you do the hard yards and are prepared to work hard at it for small $$$ to start with. It takes ages to build up a reputable store and once you are a power seller, things improve.

It all depends on what you want to do.

I use Gumtree for personal items, ebay is more related to my work and producing income for my business. It can work.
2 users like this post:
Old 07-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #22
AAXR8

I have started to buy my Car items on this Website!!
And have met some Great people! Got a few good deals on Parts I can't get on ebay, gumtree etc!
But Ebays first for me for buying & selling for Safety but with the changes of all these Big Name Companys getting on board with Ebay is properly the reason for the bigger fee's & I think the days of getting a really cheap bargain like you use to will be on smaller sites like this one!
Gumtree still worriers me unless I pick it up, but I feel confident with fellow Ford Followers so guys if your after parts give the Parts section to buy or sell on this Website!!
Cheers and safe shopping
, SCT FLASH TUNED, COLD AIR INTAKE WITH K&N HI FLOW POD FILTER , 4:11 DIFF, HERROD THROTTLE BODY. PEDDERS XTREME-XA COILOVERS
!!
247 RWKW

03 BA XR8 UTE WHITE IN COLOR!

AAXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #23
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my ebay seller experience: everything i thought would go gangbusters, sold with 1 or 2 bids. stuff i thought wouldn't sell got a huge number of bids!
Old 10-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does ebay still have the stupid restrictions on COD sales?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #25
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

I've been a buyer on E-Bay for over 14 years, and have never tried to sell an item.
Why? Read the above posts for your answers. It's not seller friendly at all.

Ed
Old 11-07-2015, 10:13 PM   #26
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hit and miss for me. Listed a body kit expecting to get $400 and got $2000. This guy paid up straight away and had a mate pick it up the next day. Only things I have had trouble selling were an XR8, XB GT, and an F150. Those cars attracted a certain type of time waster. People who would win the auction and expected me to organize transport, people who wouldn't bother to inspect then win the auction and try to negotiate the price down. People who would come out to inspect then tell me they weren't in a position to buy the vehicle but ask if they can still test drive it.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2015, 01:04 AM   #27
T MAN

I use ebay a lot, with both good and bad results, mostly good though..
I have had a person make an offer on a car I was selling, so I clicked except and it automatically put item as sold.. sent the buyer a few messages and nothing.. got hit with the ebay fees, but by putting a non payer dispute against the buyer I had the ebay fees dropped..
one thing that has gotten worse lately is the fees. I sold a set of wheels last week for $750 and was hit with a $75 fee from ebay. so I try not to sell much on ebay now..
T MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 12:51 PM   #28
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

I haven't had any issues as yet and sold plenty of stuff as a new seller. My only issue is ****en paypal holding my money for a month before I can access it. ****en idiots.
Old 15-07-2015, 12:57 PM   #29
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I have only bought on ebay and when I do I pay straight away no questions. As long as the product is as per the description I have no issue. I have never sold anything on ebay nor ever will after some of the fees and issues I have read. I don't have the time or patience to deal with that crap. Like everything though, it's a case of seller/buyer beware.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #30
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I recently had a couple of things on eBay. No result on one, but the other thing attracted a bit and I accepted. The successful bidder failed to proceed and I asked eBay to pursue her. Oh no "here's some scant information on her ... you pursue her". After some weeks trying to get in touch with her I thought "wait a minute, why am I doing this?" I told them to get off their **** and find out what was going on, as the bidder is supposed to be vetted by them as being genuine. I may as well have had a discussion with a brick wall as they never returned my emails.

So I listed the item on Gumtree and sold it quickly for more than the eBay "bid".
Gumtree asked me to fill in a satisfaction survey, and knowing the two are owned by the same company, I gave the survey a gob full about what a pack of **** eBay is.

Low and behold ... next day I get an email from eBay telling me they've perceived a problem and if I make a contact they will cancel my seller fee. Oh Really!!

I will never use eBay again EVER!!! What a disgraceful organisation.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post