Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-03-2016, 08:59 PM   #241
NormM67

Default Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csfulton View Post
BLACKVUE DR650GW-2CH

It is designed to turn off power to the cam at 12V and turn back on when the ignition is on.
Can you adjust that? I've been looking at wiring kits like the Power Magic Pro but have decided not to use parking mode anyway. My dashcam is still on it's way from China but I think I'll just splice into fuse 86 as from what I've read that's the only one that cuts power when the ignition is off (apart from fuses in the engine bay and the rear compartment fuse box).

Still have to work out where to install it. Was going to go in the center under the rear view mirror but noticed the wipers don't cover that area and I'd prefer not to have it too low. I'll figure all that out when it arrives
NormM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 09:05 PM   #242
NormM67

Quote:
The 5.8L/100Km is a lie in this car.
The best average I've been able to achieve on the freeway (M1, Sydney to Wyee and back with a bit of city driving) is 6.6l/100km. That's in a manual with the CC set to 115km/h.

To get lower I'd have to travel on a dead flat road and drive slower I suppose.
Old 21-03-2016, 10:04 PM   #243
csfulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormM67 View Post
Can you adjust that?
11.5v is the only other option if I remember correctly. 12v is way too low for a battery.

Quote:
I've been looking at wiring kits like the Power Magic Pro but have decided not to use parking mode anyway. My dashcam is still on it's way from China but I think I'll just splice into fuse 86 as from what I've read that's the only one that cuts power when the ignition is off (apart from fuses in the engine bay and the rear compartment fuse box).
http://imgur.com/8l4p32G

That is how I had done it. You can buy these "Add on Circuits" for the fuse box. Goes in like a fuse, you place the original fuse into the first slot, and then you have a fuse slot for the added circuit and a good bit of wire to start from.

For the Ground there is a 10mm nut behind the fuse box, just use a ring terminal.
csfulton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2016, 10:14 PM   #244
csfulton

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Cs Fulton- what fuel economy are you achieving?
7.812 L/100Km Average after 3,425Km
6.719 L/100Km Lowest, was when I first got the car. Doing average of 212Km/Day.
8.538 L/100Km Highest, was soon after passing 2,000Km on the clock. Wonder why....
Old 22-03-2016, 10:23 PM   #245
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What type of driving were you doing at 212km a day, percentage motorway vs urban.
I am looking at LZ manual to replace my trusty LT diesel wh I is up to 241000kms.
However the fuel consumption worries me reports on this forum indicate much the same as a 2006 2 litre petrol focus. No improvement in fuel consumption, fuel is a key for doing 1000kms a week
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2016, 08:20 PM   #246
NormM67

Quote:
For the Ground there is a 10mm nut behind the fuse box, just use a ring terminal.
Thanks for the pic. Yeap, I'll be using a fuse tap, just the one though. When you say you've used a ground nut behind the fuse box, does that mean you've removed the fuse box? Just looks a bit tight in there so I was hoping that wouldn't be needed.
Old 23-03-2016, 11:18 PM   #247
csfulton

Quote:
When you say you've used a ground nut behind the fuse box, does that mean you've removed the fuse box? Just looks a bit tight in there so I was hoping that wouldn't be needed.
I did remove it for "easier" access. The fuse box doesn't move much from there. You should be able to get access without removing it, use a phone camera and flash set to torch on to get a good look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
What type of driving were you doing at 212km a day, percentage motorway vs urban.
About 50/50 in for KM driven.

From what I can tell the killer of fuel is uphill and slow moving traffic. If you can set and forget the cruise control to a speed then you are going to save fuel. Tho that's a given.

When you do drive it fast using higher revs and a lot of throttle in corners, you don't use much more fuel. 8.538L/100Km was Putty Road. Although the driving score was very low after that.
Old 28-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #248
Focii

Has anyone noticed symptoms of a rattling noise from the turbo similar to what's in this video?

https://youtu.be/81sO81hAfTU

I noticed when I was in the garage the other day. Mine isnt quite as bad as the video, but just wondering if anyone else has it?

The car drives completely fine, just sounds a bit rubbish.
Old 31-03-2016, 11:46 PM   #249
NormM67

Hi guys, I've received and installed my dash cam (A118C - haven't hardwired it yet) and have noticed that due to the angle of the windscreen in these cars I'm getting heaps of reflections off the windscreen (can even see the reflection of the 8" display at night).

At first I thought the videos were grainy but then realised it's just the reflection of the 'grain' from the dash reflecting off the windscreen . I'm thinking of trying a dash mat but was wondering how everyone else who uses a dash cam is tackling this problem? Last resort will be a polarising filter for the lens somehow.

Thanks,

Norm
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #250
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Hi guys, I've received and installed my dash cam (A118C - haven't hardwired it yet) and have noticed that due to the angle of the windscreen in these cars I'm getting heaps of reflections off the windscreen
A polarising filter won't help because you might nullify reflections from one angle and not others.

You will need to find some way to mount the camera lens as close as possible to the windscreen. It sounds like you have it mounted high to be getting reflections from the 8" screen. The solution would be to mount it on top of the dash well forward and as close as practical to the windscreen.
CatonaPC© is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 09:57 AM   #251
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatonaPC© View Post
A polarising filter won't help because you might nullify reflections from one angle and not others.

You will need to find some way to mount the camera lens as close as possible to the windscreen. It sounds like you have it mounted high to be getting reflections from the 8" screen. The solution would be to mount it on top of the dash well forward and as close as practical to the windscreen.
Hi mate,

I've read a fair bit on different forums and a polarising filter helps but makes night time videos a bit darker. I'll try a dash mat and see how that goes.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #252
CatonaPC©

Quote:
Hi mate,

I've read a fair bit on different forums and a polarising filter helps but makes night time videos a bit darker. I'll try a dash mat and see how that goes.
Okay, I Googled a bit and I saw an example of what you might be experiencing. A dash mat would help, yes, but if there is any way to do so, the best option is to mount the camera lens as close as practical to the actual windscreen.

Another option (again, only if practical) is to fit some sort of makeshift lens hood.
Old 01-04-2016, 08:35 PM   #253
NormM67

Quote:
Okay, I Googled a bit and I saw an example of what you might be experiencing. A dash mat would help, yes, but if there is any way to do so, the best option is to mount the camera lens as close as practical to the actual windscreen.

Another option (again, only if practical) is to fit some sort of makeshift lens hood.
The cam attaches to the windscreen with tape so the lens is only a few mm away from the glass but the lens has a 170° field of view so any hood would be seen.

I think the main problem is I've only tested it going to and from work (heading east in the morning, west in the arvo) so I'm always heading towards the sun which is low in the sky during both trips . I'm sure it will be fine in the middle of the day with the sun high in the sky so I'll find out over the weekend.

Still happy with it though, just have to run the cable across the roof liner and down the side of the A pillar to the fuse box and wire it in.

Next mission will be when I install one on the rear window, have to dismantle the trim so I can run the power cable down to the rear fuse box

Only 400km now to my complimentary 3000km service so I wont pull anything apart just yet
Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #254
4cyl_Turbo

Quote:
Next mission will be when I install one on the rear window, have to dismantle the trim so I can run the power cable down to the rear fuse box
Let me know how you do it, as I want to fit rear cam and haven't yet as not power plug in rear.

I was just going to fit a cigarette plug on one of the rear trims and find an accessory power line.
2018 Ford Focus SA Titanium - white (current)
4cyl_Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2016, 09:58 PM   #255
CatonaPC©

Quote:
The cam attaches to the windscreen with tape so the lens is only a few mm away from the glass but the lens has a 170° field of view so any hood would be seen.
Okay, I understand. If only a few millimetres, perhaps attaching a black card underneath the lens that extends to the windscreen?
Old 01-04-2016, 11:28 PM   #256
NormM67

Quote:
Okay, I understand. If only a few millimetres, perhaps attaching a black card underneath the lens that extends to the windscreen?
Nah, wont work. I've attached a screenshot to show the field of view the camera has. Anything around it will just block the image and probably wouldn't stop reflections.

As you can see, even the dash is in the image. I can point the cam up a bit but they say don't show too much sky as it effects the light exposure balance. Pretty sure a black dash mat will help a bit, just have to find a nice one.

I've also attached inside and outside shots so you can see where it's mounted.

I probably should have all this in the LZ Dashcam thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dashcam.JPG (103.9 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg CamIn.JPG (132.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg CamOut.JPG (62.7 KB, 68 views)

Last edited by NormM67; 01-04-2016 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #257
CatonaPC©

Quote:
I've also attached inside and outside shots so you can see where it's mounted.
Well, the pictures say a thousand words. I can certainly see now it's not uneasy solution.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:21 PM   #258
PeCo
Starter Motor

Yay - adaptive cruise control, HID headlights and a sunroof option return to the Focus.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/432216/2...ew-tech-packs/

Now I can upgrade from my LW Focus Titanium with Sports Executive Pack.

Last edited by PeCo; 08-04-2016 at 04:35 PM.
PeCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 06:45 PM   #259
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got love adaptive cruise control ! Its like aircon was 20 years ago once you had it you would not go without
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #260
CatonaPC©

I have adaptive cruise control in my Trend. My right foot.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:32 PM   #261
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

that must be like the early aircon when the window was wound down!
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #262
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
got love adaptive cruise control ! Its like aircon was 20 years ago once you had it you would not go without
True, but you have to be careful when you jump back into a car without adaptive cruise. Forgot I was in another car and nearly ran up the back of another car on the freeway... oops
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #263
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
True, but you have to be careful when you jump back into a car without adaptive cruise. Forgot I was in another car and nearly ran up the back of another car on the freeway... oops
That's why I love driving a manual. Can't let the car make all the decisions for you
Old 09-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #264
Pman35
Starter Motor

Smile Re: LZ Focus (Thai Models)

Hi all, am new this forum as have been in the market and researching various cars for the last 3 or so months and have to say these forums have been a great resource and assisted in the decision making process that saw me pay a deposit on a LZ Sport Auto in Winning Blue Colour today. I think I've got a good deal with; tinted windows, change the 17" alloy wheels to 5x2 spoke alloys, front & rear weather shields, front & rear mats, paint protection and extend warranty to 5yrs/100,000 Klm's for $30k. Am disappointed delivery won't be until mid to late June as wan't to be in the car now but all in all I'm happy with the purchase and look forward to being able to contribute to these forums, hopefully as a happy owner!
Pman35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #265
NormM67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pman35 View Post
saw me pay a deposit on a LZ Sport Auto in Winning Blue Colour today.
Congrats mate. I'm biased but Winning Blue is the nicest colour. Looks like you got a great deal too
Old 11-04-2016, 08:02 PM   #266
Pman35
Starter Motor

Yours in the photo in your profile looks great, did you change up the wheels? I was tossing up between the Winning Blue and Frozen White but the Blue really catches the eye. Was a bit worried the Blue wouldn't look as good in real life as it does in brochures as have seen a darker/duller, more solid Blue on Focus getting around but may be an older model? Not too fussed about just missing out on SYNC 3 as more interested in the drive rather than the gadgets (although there are plenty off good ones!).
Old 11-04-2016, 08:04 PM   #267
Pman35
Starter Motor

[Congrats mate. I'm biased but Winning Blue is the nicest colour. Looks like you got a great deal too ]Yours in the photo in your profile looks great, did you change up the wheels? I was tossing up between the Winning Blue and Frozen White but the Blue really catches the eye. Was a bit worried the Blue wouldn't look as good in real life as it does in brochures as have seen a darker/duller, more solid Blue on Focus getting around but may be an older model? Not too fussed about just missing out on SYNC 3 as more interested in the drive rather than the gadgets (although there are plenty off good ones!).[/QUOTE]
Old 12-04-2016, 12:24 AM   #268
NormM67

Hey Pman, nah, the wheels are just standard Trend mags.

I actually think the colour looks better in real life than in the brochure, especially after a good wax and in the sun That blue really stands out in the carpark at work where 80% of the cars are either white or silver

I wouldn't be too worried about Sync3, Sync2 does everything (and more) that I need it too. Just take a little time setting it up (voice tags for Navigation for example) and you'll find your doing nearly everything by voice anyway.

The only thing I cant do is control the climate as I only have a Trend so have manual A/C. Not that it matters as it's not something I'm continually playing with.

Fuel usage isn't as good as I thought it would be but it's such a pleasure to drive that the driving experience makes up for it.

Last edited by NormM67; 12-04-2016 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #269
Focii

I have just come back from a trip down to Ulladulla (from NW Sydney) the first really long trip in the car. It was a great drive and I'm just getting more and more impressed with the car.

Fuel consumption wise, I got 5.8L\100 on the way down (conservative with the throttle and no air con). Was siting right on speed limits.

On the way back air con was off most of the way, and was a bit more throttle happy and got 6.5L\100 (pushing my luck with speed limits on the dual carriage ways ;)

There were two people in the car with two suit cases and food supplies (a full boot and partial back seat), so I'm pretty impressed.

The car does seem to love the open road a lot more than the city fuel consumption wise, especially with the automatic.
Old 12-04-2016, 08:28 AM   #270
KosCo

Now that the upgrade and other options have appeared, I will be looking at a new LZ Titanium later in the year.
Question - is there any delay or lead time experienced in the supply of vehicles or are they readily available?
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post