Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-05-2024, 10:16 AM   #1
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Default Re: Geez! I hate that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Towing's not cheap these days. 25kms doesn't get you far here.
A new tilt tray is a $200,000 investment, then it costs a grand to fill the tank, if your lucky you can squeeze 1000 ks out of a tank, tyres are $400 a pop, insurance is $5000 per year minimum if you can find a insurer, then rego, anual inspections, services, mechanical failures, so yeah the days of a $50 tow are long gone.

I used to do RAC breakdown towing for a short while, RAC would pay for the first 10k's, then it was $5 per k therafter + GST, once I paid my percentage to the company, took out fuel and expenses, took out the GST, tax etc, it worked out that I had just paid out of my own pocket to tow a strangers car, there is no money in brekdown towing, we did it because RAC accident towing was a major part of our contract and the breakdown was part of it.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-05-2024, 12:15 PM   #2
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
A new tilt tray is a $200,000 investment, then it costs a grand to fill the tank, if your lucky you can squeeze 1000 ks out of a tank, tyres are $400 a pop, insurance is $5000 per year minimum if you can find a insurer, then rego, anual inspections, services, mechanical failures, so yeah the days of a $50 tow are long gone.

I used to do RAC breakdown towing for a short while, RAC would pay for the first 10k's, then it was $5 per k therafter + GST, once I paid my percentage to the company, took out fuel and expenses, took out the GST, tax etc, it worked out that I had just paid out of my own pocket to tow a strangers car, there is no money in brekdown towing, we did it because RAC accident towing was a major part of our contract and the breakdown was part of it.
You didnt mention the really hard part.
A steering wheel attendant.
A wages driver.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2024, 03:12 PM   #3
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
You didnt mention the really hard part.
A steering wheel attendant.
A wages driver.
Was a owner driver myself, cant make money any towing on wages as its usually per job based contract driving.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: