Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-11-2006, 03:27 PM   #1
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Default Cheap cars are thick on the ground?

Today I bought a 1990 Ford panelvan with LPG (tank has 8 years) and 4 months of NSW rego for the grand price of $900.

I will be the first to admit its not pretty, it has a white body, with grey doors and bonnet. It has a bullbar and driving lights.

It drives really well with no clunks or rattles.

Was regoe'd with no cat as the fuel system is disconnected (I didnt think it was legal to do that)

The car has genie extractors and a reco engine. Its a 3 speed auto but the trans shifts well and the fluid looked OK.

It has power steer, I got the A/C gear with it, but not on the car.

I found this car locally and I am intending to use it as a gopher for my shop. I cant get over the value that is available in these older fords.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
MotherNatureVer2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Congrats on the new purchase Roy ........ I think I know the old pano you described :P

We are blessed out here to be able to pick up these old treats ........ although you paid more for yours than I did the EA :P

My wonderful OH & myself are looking at a few X series at the moment for his pleasure ..... Its amazing how many are just sitting around not doing much ......

Who said living in the city was a better way of life :P
MotherNatureVer2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 05:07 PM   #3
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Yep, just go out to any farm and check under the trees lol My mate was working on a property in Mullaley that had a few old jags and some XW/Y utes etc just rusting away under the trees....
Old 19-11-2006, 06:29 PM   #4
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Yep, just go out to any farm and check under the trees lol My mate was working on a property in Mullaley that had a few old jags and some XW/Y utes etc just rusting away under the trees....
i got myself 2 charger RTs doing that (in good nic and a hemi 426)...except i was called out there.

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

Wow $900 that is cheap. Most LPG cars i see have fairly high price tags on them, sounds like you got a bargain to me
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #6
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOTAXI
Was regoe'd with no cat as the fuel system is disconnected (I didnt think it was legal to do that)
It's not.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same here. I got my 1990 XF van for a grand. It's very clean, and pretty straight (the barn doors are perfect). The best thing about it is there's NO rust at all and when I got it the 250 ran quiet and the auto was smooth as. There's also no rattles or creaks, no clunks from the front end and it drive smooth as (just got to get it to handle descent, haha).

It's now got a 5 speed, extractors/exhaust about to go on, grey Spac interior (which is going to be black soon with some custom stuff i'll do) with fairlane trims, ZL front with an FE grill waiting to go on and colour coded bumpers.. I've hardly spent anything on it, and i've got a good solid car to get my around, which looks great and has comforts like power steering, air con, power windows, electric mirrors and central locking. I've also got electric seats out of an LTD to go in as well.

Really, for the bit over 2 grand that i've spent all up including getting it on the road, I really can't complain.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #8
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Not always the case though.
I went to look at a coupe in gunnedah a while back,the trim and paint was exactly what I wanted,but it was the most rusted piece of crap I ever saw,and was way over priced,even by sydney standards for a running car let alone a heap that came off a paddock somewhere.
The bloke was even telling me stories of the cheap finds he got off the surrounding properties,no way I was gonna be the sucker lining his pockets.
Seems most of the finds are by word of mouth,once they hit the internet sites the prices go up ten fold..
A few project car threads lately show they are out there,just got to be lucky I guess..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 03:30 AM   #9
HOON69
Banned

lpg def a good start with fuel prices etc
what she get out of a tank?
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2006, 06:48 AM   #10
normxb
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Sitting on the Dunny , Contemplating "What to do Next".

Yep , poor old XF's are pretty hard to sell , I tried to sell mine ('86 unleaded wagon out of Rego) , country car , 214,000 k's on the clock , NO rust ,very straight , Hayman Reese towbar , manual , reasonable nick . All it needed for Rego was a handbrake cable , new radiator & 2 new tyres , best offers I could get for it was $180 - $320 . I had a couple of calls , but because it was "yellow" most weren't interested . Thought about selling it in parts but you get left bits in your yard .

All I wanted was enough $$$ to put P/Steer on my XB , anyways , made a deal with my mechanic , give him the XF & he'd pull the P/Steer out of it and put in the XB (labour incl.) for a swap & he could use it as parts , I was happy with that .

Sad end for a reliable car .

Keeping FORDS in the family

(Embarressment :yeees: , Son now has a "Camira" : )
"Look Right , Look Left , Look Right , BEFORE crossing Roads"
normxb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post