Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 03-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Default Sydney Restaurants...

Name some good ones

Looking for some new places to take the future mrs... Open to just about any type of food. Preferably around the Western Sydney (Fairfield) or Hills areas, but always willing to travel for the right food :evil3:

Coming..CMS Stg2A Cam, 68mm TB
Later.. 4.5L w/ BOOOOOOOOOOST or XR6T or AUIII XR8 220

Currently:
151kW (165 on other dynos )
ayeyew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think you can beat the harbour area / docks for resturants, people , atmoshere.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey mate, outback steakhouse used to be a bloody fantastic joint! (sunnyholt road). me and the missus used to go there heaps. but i haven't been for a long while.

Part from that, Inferno Cafe @ macquarie centre is a really good joint (a little pricey, but the food is worth it).

Been having lunch @ tailors on central these past few weeks, a pub type setup, $10 for a chicken burger that fills you for HOURS (and im a big boy) but that would be a lunch venue
Old 04-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
hey mate, outback steakhouse used to be a bloody fantastic joint! (sunnyholt road). me and the missus used to go there heaps. but i haven't been for a long while.

Part from that, Inferno Cafe @ macquarie centre is a really good joint (a little pricey, but the food is worth it).

Been having lunch @ tailors on central these past few weeks, a pub type setup, $10 for a chicken burger that fills you for HOURS (and im a big boy) but that would be a lunch venue
you arent that big bourney lol

word on the street is that maccas is pretty good these days

i love going to a chinese restaurant at ryde for ages. its across the road from the putt putt on victoria road. its gold. although its prolly only good because ive been going there for like 7 years or something ahha
Old 04-07-2008, 06:45 PM   #5
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

Luna Piena (sp?) on Concord Rd North Strathfield has the BEST Italian food in the history of Italian food!
Old 04-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Winston Hills Hotel. Everything has always been extra good there, especially the steak. Its mid priced. About $20-30 for most mains.
Old 04-07-2008, 11:14 PM   #7
PoMmYwOG

rashay's in liverpool is good. not bad prices but nice food and setting. on hume hwy just past the rta.

also ambrosia seafood restaurant is tops if u dnt mind spending extra. hume hwy lansvale.

06' Mazda SP23
5spd auto
Luxury pack
PoMmYwOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayeyew
Name some good ones

Looking for some new places to take the future mrs... Open to just about any type of food. Preferably around the Western Sydney (Fairfield) or Hills areas, but always willing to travel for the right food :evil3:
Wildfire at West Circular Quay in the overseas terminal...She'll love you long time
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 12:24 PM   #9
manny_papa
disco time !!!

Hurricanes @ Bondi - best ribs in sydney
Old 05-07-2008, 07:54 PM   #10
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_papa
2nd, well thats what my mate said lol
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

"Golden King" for great Chinese @ Green Valley

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...den_king_2000/

"Habibs" for the BEST Charcoal Chicken, and Lebanese food. Their garlic sauce 'toom' is the BEST in Syd. (Get a "Half Chicken mixed plate" and a 1.25L soft drink for $21 and you will be stuffed by the end of it)

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...rcoal_chicken/

You want cheap in the city? Scruffy Purphy's has the BEST $5 pub meals with an attractive eating area. Oh, did I mention that the meals are $5!

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydney/scruffy_murphys/

Bondi Junction, Robin Hood Hotel also has great Pub food, again with a $5 menu. (Had RIBS on the $5 menu last time I went ;)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en...ZTVBg&oi=&sa=X

Vegetarian?? Govinda's at Darlinghurst. In the top 5 Vege restaurants IN OZ. $18 for ALL YOU CAN EAT, reserve online and for $8 you also see a movie, lying down on mattresses on the floor.

http://www.govindas.com.au/

African?? Le Kilimanjaro at Newtown.

http://www.yourrestaurants.com.au/guide/le_kilimanjaro/

"Prague Czech Beer Restaurant" lol Potts Point my ***, it's right behind Kings Cross Station... Go for the mixed plates... so much meat for around $20!

http://www.eatability.com.au/au/sydn...er_restaurant/

For general Cafe food, Pancakes at the rocks is your best bet. Open 24hrs. There is a reason why there is a very long line out the door and down the street Fri and Sat nights.

http://www.pancakesontherocks.com.au/home

Hurricanes is very good, as is Rashays at Liverpool.

Mate I can go on and on...... The best way to find a good place to eat is go for a walk of a Fri or Sat night down the main street in your area, the places that are full are where you want to be!

Now I'm Hungry.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i wish i had more than 3 restaurants to choose between... :(
Old 07-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #13
ayeyew
Teh Baest

That Le Kilimanjaro sounds interesting.

Never had African food before

Definately will check out habibs in bankstown, i have been going to a similar place in Granville for years (El Jannah), would love to see how Habib's Garlic sauce rivals El Jannah's

Have heard about Golden King before, but never been due to me not being a great fan of chinese food.. But i may have to try it, cuz this is like the 3rd or 4th time i have heard its name being spoken!

My mrs loves rashays

Currently:
Old 07-07-2008, 09:06 PM   #14
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

This is the sum of what I have learnt.

Yum Cha - cant beat the palace chinese in Piccadilly towers

But emporers garden in china town opens at 7:30 am cant beat beaky yum cha!

Best overall - seafood buffet at the Pitt st Marriot - @$49 per hear at dinner with a $21 wine buffet - all you can drink. Nuff said. I have pictures from my last visit if interested.
I have eaten at most of the great restaurants over the last 10 years (though much less since I came to the west) Nothing lately comes close to to the Marrioy buffet. The $59 per head seafood number at the intercontinenal wont come close.

Too many turbo toys......
2009 FG F6 Nitro LPI LPG 290rwkw on LPG.
2005 BAMKII XR6 Turbo with LPG (ex HWP 255,000k's and counting)
Honda 2001 CR500E Road registered CR500
Honda 1985 CR500 (the one with the arm ripping power)
DT200r regoed Hack
Yamaha IT/YZ 465 Vinduro rocket
Imported IT465 and 490 back up bikes
VF1000R mid 80's racer built by HMR
Honda CR480 Air cooled project road cafe racer.
T88 Turbo XT Falcon project with 351 Cleveland (mothballed)
Plus the rest.

TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2008, 09:08 PM   #15
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Oh - I forgot Emmas at newtown for lebanese - cash only and they only let you sit for your booked time - its that good

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #16
MRHELE

The Meat & Wine Co. on Church Street in Parramatta is sensational, and also another thumb's up here for Outback Steakhouse on Sunnyholt Road in Parklea.
MRHELE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 AM   #17
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Definately will check out habibs in bankstown, i have been going to a similar place in Granville for years (El Jannah), would love to see how Habib's Garlic sauce rivals El Jannah's
That's got me intruiged as well. I honestly can't see how anyone could rival El Jannah's charcoal chicken. I felt sorry for the chicken place that opened across the other side of the station a few years back, I would drive past it to get to El Jannah's, always empty. I would then be greeted with a queue of about 50, hoping there was enough chicken for me to get one.. :(
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #18
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
That's got me intruiged as well. I honestly can't see how anyone could rival El Jannah's charcoal chicken. I felt sorry for the chicken place that opened across the other side of the station a few years back, I would drive past it to get to El Jannah's, always empty. I would then be greeted with a queue of about 50, hoping there was enough chicken for me to get one.. :(
Never been to El Jannah's, but it does sound like a nice place. I'll look into it myself next time I crave chicken and garlic (some time today I assume)...

Habibs is very well known around Bankstown. It is not a 'restaurant', but a very large take away joint with seating for 50 or so people.

Their 'decor' is hmmm interesting... around the base of the glass window walls there is a failed attempt at some sort of pond / water feature lol.

The place shuts at midnight most days. No bookings, cash only. If you want extra bread it's on the house, another scoop of garlic dip, no worries.
One of the reviews mentions you can feed 10 blokes for $100, and that is spot on. For what they charge I really don't know how they make a profit! But they have so many customers i'm sure they make their garlic sauce in a cement mixer...

They have branched out, and now have a shop at Dulwich Hill and Burwood. Havn't been to the other 2 places, but drove past the one at Dulwich Hill at 10pm and it was shut.
Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM   #19
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Never been to El Jannah's, but it does sound like a nice place. I'll look into it myself next time I crave chicken and garlic (some time today I assume)...

Habibs is very well known around Bankstown. It is not a 'restaurant', but a very large take away joint with seating for 50 or so people.

Their 'decor' is hmmm interesting... around the base of the glass window walls there is a failed attempt at some sort of pond / water feature lol.
El Jannah's used to be a rundown old place on a corner shop. I'd wondered how long it would take for them to get a new place and within a year of me finding them they had. There was always a queue out the door and about 2 tables inside with barely enough room to swing a cat.

Now it also seats about 50, reasonably contemporary but I've only ever grabbed a chook or two and ate at home. It's sort of half between a fast food sit down and a restaurant sit down for dinner. I'm looking for a reason not to go and check out Habib's tonight and so far I haven't found one...
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 PM   #20
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Tried out Habib's. Was quite nice but still prefer El Jannah. Cooked similarly but I'd say El Jannah must get the coals hotter as there's more of a charcoal flavour and the breast doesn't seem as dry as Habib. The leg was very nice but also didn't have that nice charcoaled lick that you get at El Jannah.

To put it in perspective though, I'm a big fan of charcoal chicken and I'd put Habib solidly at #2 on my list.

I can't compare the garlic sauce since I don't bother with it at all. It would solely come down to personal preference though, some may find the charcoal overdone at El Jannah (the chicken is a few shades under black) and would prefer Habib chicken. But both put out a very find charcoal chicken product without the excessive grease you get from traditional charcoal chicken places. They're both about the same distance from my place so I'd always opt for El Jannah but if I lived Hurstville way, I wouldn't drive past Habib to get to Granville, I'd be happy to eat Habib chicken.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:23 PM   #21
ayeyew
Teh Baest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
El Jannah's used to be a rundown old place on a corner shop. I'd wondered how long it would take for them to get a new place and within a year of me finding them they had. There was always a queue out the door and about 2 tables inside with barely enough room to swing a cat.
Hahahaha.. Hell yeh! That brings back memories... Sitting on the chair outside of the shop on the corner waiting for the food!

Was called something else back then, i know how to say it, but have nfi how to spell it! Ooeffi's or something like that, lol.

@TurboTaxi - Is it JUST seafood at the Marriott Buffet? My mrs loves the seafood, but i am not too partial except for prawns and calamari.. do they have those 2 things? If you could post a couple pics would be fantastic! I may venture there this weekend

$70 bucks for all you can eat seafood and all u can drink wine = WIN!

Currently:
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 PM   #22
charles_wif_xf
Purveyor of filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoMmYwOG
rashay's in liverpool is good. not bad prices but nice food and setting. on hume hwy just past the rta.
I was there a week or so ago! It's a nice place; I had spaghetti marinara, yummo.
charles_wif_xf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2008, 08:43 PM   #23
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok my turn ;)

Had El Jennah tonight. Hmm can't split the chicken between them and Habibs! I must say, their interior is far more nicer, but their menu is not as populated as Habibs.

Where as at Habibs, you can get a mixed salad plate with a bit of everything, including char-grilled eggplant and cauliflower.. didn't see that at Granville?

But like you Rodp, I wouldn't drive past one to go to the other.

I had a Kebab by the way... Bloody hell, $7.90 for a 3 course meal in a roll! I needed 2 hands to carry it out!

Also got a free show! There was a nut case lady running up and down the street screaming and yelling.. don't know why? Although the police were talking to her earlier lol
Old 09-07-2008, 08:56 PM   #24
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

So we've at least achieved something from this thread - Charcoal Chicken that can't be beat.

Seafood buffet - Pitt St, Marriot. I'm about to take a month off and I'll definitely be trying that place. Many many years ago The Sheridan used to do a spectacular $35 a head seafood buffet. Not anymore - especially since it's now called the Wentworth.

Charcoal chicken (lets face it, everyone loves that...) the chicken hubs clearly are Granville and Bankstown. Everyone else is a pretender. I did leave out the better variety at Habib's and that was a fault on my part. They had a number of burgers and kebabs listed that I'm sure El Jannah's don't do. I was focused on the charcoal chicken as anything else is a waste of my time...

Yum-cha, I don't have a definitive place, only places that serve very good yum cha. Rhodes shopping centre - surprising but delicious, Parramatta also has a very good yum cha place. City, I'm partial to a number of places too numerous to list but my favorite would probably be the Marigold.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:37 PM   #25
stiddy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
Wildfire at West Circular Quay in the overseas terminal...She'll love you long time
100% agreed, Sydney's finest resturant without a doubt!
I go there very often.. I make excuses to go there lol.
If you ever want to take someone out on a date, anniversary, something special, this is definately the place to go.
Food, serivce, views, everything is just superb. Pricey, but well worth it.

Nicks Bar and Grill also gets a big reaction.

Make sure you book well in advance for both.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
dave289
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny_papa

Went there last night had the rib eye fillet and some ribs .I know its not out west but believe me its worth coming from the west to try it.You will have to book a table in advance as they are heavily booked out but once you get there you will see why. very highly recomended.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #27
ayeyew
Teh Baest

All this bloody talk about food is making me hungry! Ah well, will be staying with the future mrs in the city over the weekend. Definately gonna try out the Marriott seafood buffet, although it is a bit more expensive fri & sat nights! ($82pp), might do the sunday night @ $59

Currently:
Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #28
Jase_Boss
Casual surfer

Another vote for Meat & Wine Co, the steaks are to die for, the price is a bit exy but well worth it, we go there every 2 - 3 months as a treat
GTF-#97-Kinetic/Matte Black, Manual, Enjoying it daily
Sold- 08 FG XR8 Sed EGO, 6 speed m, 80mm John Bowe throttle body, K&N air filter, Big Mouth CAI, rip shifter. 275/30-19,245/35-19, XR50
Sold- 06 BF XR8 Ute, 6 speed,80mm throttle body,Herrod full stainless cats back,K&N air filter,CAI,rip shifter.265/35,245/40-18.
Sold-Mrs Jase_Boss-09 XR8 Sed Breeze-Build to order for her,All options except sat nav,6 speed m, 80mm John Bowe throttle body, K&N air filter, Big Mouth CAI. 19"
Jase_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #29
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

Quote:
Hahahaha.. Hell yeh! That brings back memories... Sitting on the chair outside of the shop on the corner waiting for the food!

Was called something else back then, i know how to say it, but have nfi how to spell it! Ooeffi's or something like that, lol.

@TurboTaxi - Is it JUST seafood at the Marriott Buffet? My mrs loves the seafood, but i am not too partial except for prawns and calamari.. do they have those 2 things? If you could post a couple pics would be fantastic! I may venture there this weekend

$70 bucks for all you can eat seafood and all u can drink wine = WIN!
Nah - there is seafood - fresh, sashimi, shellfish, oysters, pretty much anything but lobsters. Plus many different savoury and sweet dishes.
There is even a chef there just to make your custom stir fry to order. Here are some pics.

There is plenty to entertain those who dont like seafood (but there are lashings of prawn and squid on its own and in dishes.

The non seafood dishes included fantastic beef lamb and chicken plus a make your own caesar bar (with great dressing etc....) it was just a great expereince, even before I had abused the wine buffet

Let us know how you go.

The pic I didnt get was the bread bar, make your own bruschett, different types of breads and flavoured butter it was awsome.

DT200r regoed Hack
Plus the rest.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:18 PM   #30
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
I don't think you can beat the harbour area / docks for resturants, people , atmoshere.

Me and SWMBO are in Sydney in september,stayin at the Shaggrilar : : : ...

Whats the story with "The Basement"...??? I'm an old \l/ and love Jon Lord,who you kids have prolly never heard of...Anyway,got a CD/DVD from "The Basement" with Jon Lord and the Hoochie Coochie Men,recorded "At The Basement"...

Is it worth checking out??? Heard there is a 1/2 deacent pizza joint around there too... : : :

vik...???
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post