Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Ford Mondeo axed from mid-2020

https://www.caradvice.com.au/816115/...deo-australia/

Quote:
Ford will only offer the Mondeo in base Ambiente trim from the start of 2020, before the mid-sized hatch and wagon are removed from the line-up in the second half of the year.

The move reflects "changing customer preferences including an overall shift towards SUVs", said Ford Australia communications boss Matt Moran.
I'm rather disappointed by this decision. I own a Mondeo, they're brilliant cars that are far too often overlooked and underrated, unfortunately, not the least of which by the media when comparing mid sized cars. I may be biased, but I think the Mondeo is a better car than the Camry which sells by the shipload. It's a travesty that the Mondeo isn't given the attention it deserves.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2019, 08:34 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Mondeo axed from mid-2020

Well yes, It was a bit stupid when Ford Australia effectively tried to claim they would continue selling the Mondeo, after production had ceased.

Ford Europe announced the cancellation some months back.

If you get a chance, have a watch of the Last Episode of The Grand Tour from season 3, "A Funeral for a Ford" pays tribute to the Cortina, Sierra, and Mondeo.

I think its a very good, if somewhat boring car.
But it competes in a very crowded, and shrinking marketplace.
I think that once the USA decided to can their version (The Fusion) the writing was on the wall.

Back in the day, platform development for the Mondeo was shared between Ford, Mazda, Volvo, and Jag. Now they'd have to go it alone, and it just wasn't viable to develop a new sedan platform.

The one thing Mondeo had going for it, when we still liked such things, was the Diesel. Now all those fleet and governments just buy Camry Hybrids.
If you want something cheaper, you buy Korean, and Upmarket you buy a "European."
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #3
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

The Mondeo was indeed an undervalued gem. It lived in the shadow of the Falcon whilst it was still sharing a showroom and the SUV trend finished it off.

I have to say though, the Mondeo was a very, very good long distance machine. Our EcoBoost Titanium absolutely devoured highways and was loaded with tech that would shame a much more expensive luxury rivals of the day.

Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #4
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still don't really get why sedans are so seemingly on the nose these days . I reckon there's a lot of people that are being forced into buying SUV style stuff because the SUV product is being rammed down our throats more and more by the faceless counters in most of the car companies . Maybe there is a certain 'keeping up with the Jones's ' element there too with some of the smaller SUV's being made fashionable in recent times because the mob over the road have just bought one . Who knows?

Many would argue that if companies don't become 'truck centric' they'll go into oblivion and they are probably right but for those of us that don't exclusively really want an SUV it's disappointing .There must be a good number of potential buyers whose choice is becoming limited to only SUV as each year passes. It's a bit sad that companies like Ford are driving away nearly completely from the traditional car market . A few Fiestas and Focus's still I guess..

To those with Rangers for example, they are a great seller for Ford in Australia , well sorted , no doubt eminently top notch vehicles but they don't interest me at all to ever consider buying .

Other than a Mustang there is nothing new now Ford offers even if money was no object that I'd want to buy .. I never ever thought I'd say that .

Mondeo car or station wagon might have been one of those cars I'd look at given the stuff I've read about them over the years .

Thank goodness that Ford haven't yet gone totally crazy and canned the Mustang . There has to be some passion left for pure motoring with a blue oval badge .

Last edited by roddy1960; 21-12-2019 at 10:19 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2019, 10:15 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The Mondeo was indeed an undervalued gem. It lived in the shadow of the Falcon whilst it was still sharing a showroom and the SUV trend finished it off.

I have to say though, the Mondeo was a very, very good long distance machine. Our EcoBoost Titanium absolutely devoured highways and was loaded with tech that would shame a much more expensive luxury rivals of the day.

Do they have DSG? Or traditional slushbox?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #6
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

There's an element to style or more importantly perceived style and fashion when it comes to cars pure and simple.

No different to wearing sneakers with jeans - driving a family sedan isn't really considered the doing thing these days. When you've got kids etc - the flexibility of a bigger boot etc is great. For instance, I have a Jeep SRT and for two kids in seats, I have the ability to put luggage, other crap, strollers/prams as well as our dog in the boot and be able to go out. A sedan just doesn't really offer me this.

Not saying I won't own a sedan in the future as it would be a performance vehicle, but considering the masses the option of a low to midrange mid SUV like a Tucson, CX5, Rav4 etc - the comparable options in Camry, Mazda 6, Mondeo, whatever else - the SUV's far seem the more practical option.
Old 21-12-2019, 10:22 AM   #7
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I think dsg but with wet clutch so not in the same boat as the troublesome old Focus units.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just looking at what Ford will offer next year..
Mondeo to stop
All-new Escape with hybrid model,
Everest is growing slowly
Ecosport..does anyone know it exists?
Endura..I predict no RHD when new model is eventually released
All-new Ranger late 2020/21,
Transit and Custom models are on a slow increase
Focus isn't growing however Focus ST should/will be great for the image.
Fiesta will only be ST,
Mustang will follow US updates
Mustang Mach-E..not sure when..

I'm a glass half full person..but this is straining my faith...
It's a see-saw between what Ford Australia has actual access to, what they decide they want and then where they try to position themselves price-wise which is the issue I have greatest disagreement with...you can use price to suggest you're premium or you can face the mirror and say we make good driving cars, well specced, and will compete on price and service.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 21-12-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 21-12-2019, 12:43 PM   #9
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Ford has registered the Mondeo Evos name for use in Europe and Australia, which is a potential indication that it intends to create a new model with that badge. Well, not entirely – it could be that the name has simply been registered to prevent a rival carmaker using the same name, as happens quite a lot, but the potential is certainly there.

What is Ford's next move?
The Mondeo Evos name comes from a 2011 concept car shown at the Frankfurt motor show. Aside from the wild gullwing doors, it pretty closely previewed the frontal styling of the current Mondeo. But there’s more, the Evos had a chunky, square-edged, fastback look, one that with a few inches of extra ride height would potentially translate perfectly into an SUV and a replacement for the just-cancelled Ford Edge.

On top of which, in its registration, Ford has said that it’s intended for use on “motor land vehicles and electric vehicles, and parts and fittings and accessories therefor”. While Ford has said that it will co-operate with VW to produce electric cars in Europe, using Volkswagen’s MEB electric car chassis, it will also have its new Mustang-inspired Mach 1 electric car – a wholly Ford-designed creation, with a battery platform that’s good for 500km. Is it possible that Ford is planning a Mondeo Evos-badged European electric crossover, based on that platform as a way to potentially spread the cost of development?" https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...over-1.3997709
Old 21-12-2019, 02:54 PM   #10
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
I still don't really get why sedans are so seemingly on the nose these days . I reckon there's a lot of people that are being forced into buying SUV style stuff because the SUV product is being rammed down our throats more and more by the faceless counters in most of the car companies . Maybe there is a certain 'keeping up with the Jones's ' element there too with some of the smaller SUV's being made fashionable in recent times because the mob over the road have just bought one . Who knows?
Yes, not only is it simply a fashion trend, but keep in mind that with modern "SUV"s we're only talking about the body shape.
Practically since day one, cars have been getting lower and sleeker. Now that trend is finally reversing.
When looking at new cars, my daughter rejected some SUVs as being too much like a Wagon!? Now she has bought a very nice car, but ultimately what she has in an oversized FWD hatchback, with better headroom, and decent ground clearance.

Keep in mind where the emerging markets for cars are.
Having lived in Indonesia and Viet Nam, the one thing they seem incapable of, is maintaining decent roads. They open a brand new state-of-the-art freeway, and a month later it has massive cracks and is full of potholes. They're also not as obsessed with rules as we are. In Indonesia there is a standing joke: "How Many People can you fit in a Kijang?"

Answer: "Satu Lagi" (One More)

And the old Kijang is a great example of an "SUV." It looked like a scaled down 60 series LC. It looked like a "4WD" but wasn't, had seating for 8, very basic mechanical layout, and a ****y 4 cylinder engine.

Perhaps somewhat ironically, it turns out that such cars are also better suited to carparks, shopping, DIY, and hauling kids.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
MC petrol Mondeo's had a wet clutch version of the Powershift DCT. We had no issues with ours. The problem is, being called a Powershift, it was dragged down by the problems experienced with the dry clutch versions found in the Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport.
Mustang GT

Old 21-12-2019, 06:54 PM   #12
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not surprised given the very low sales numbers.
As stated, it is victim to the SUV/dual cab ute market we currently have.
That said, large FWD cars with the sole exception of Camry, are not doing well and havent since Camry-Magna of the late 90's early 2000s. Recently, ZB Commodore has been announced to go to, Mazda 6 is selling in much smaller numbers. Top end RWD German sedans have sold reasonably well, especially the C Class in recent years.

In our family, the Mondeo had a bit of a tough task. Country driving plus acres of gravel roads. The uniqueness of the car became a problem when (for example) the exhaust rattled off and a replacement couldn't be sourced quickly, so the mechanic got creative. It forever had "sports exhaust" after. Eventually, it rattled to pieces and was replaced by a Falcon which didn't.

For today's market, Toyota has destroyed everybody. The wait lists for the hybrids have scotched all market rivals in the FWD sedan and the medium SUV where they've released it. Also, the hybrid has put diesel to bed and in doing so routed the Europeans' diesel strategy.

My favourite Mondeos were the MB wagons with 2.3 and 6 speed auto, just the simple petrol versions. At the time Ford was about affordable, well handling cars across the range, and they had that as a USP. With a decade of retrospect though, I'd still take a BFII if I wanted a wagon to last a very long time and not cost much on repairs/maintenance.

Last edited by Sprintey; 21-12-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2019, 04:29 AM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
MC petrol Mondeo's had a wet clutch version of the Powershift DCT. We had no issues with ours. The problem is, being called a Powershift, it was dragged down by the problems experienced with the dry clutch versions found in the Focus, Fiesta and EcoSport.
That’s odd, I thought that the Petrol Mondeo 2.3 I-4 and the 2.0 EB used the 6F torque converter automatic while the 2.0 diesel had the wet clutch powershift?
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2019, 10:00 AM   #14
Eurotrash

Really, I'm not surprised by the announcement. With production ending in Europe, where else was Ford Australia going to get it from?

It was treated as a 'Fleet favourite' by Ford Australia, with little to no marketing whatsoever!
Eurotrash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2019, 03:33 PM   #15
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets cross live to Toyota Australia, who have just been gifted increased market share.
Camry sales to go up even higher with no Commodore or Mondeo to compete against.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-12-2019, 06:47 PM   #16
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
That’s odd, I thought that the Petrol Mondeo 2.3 I-4 and the 2.0 EB used the 6F torque converter automatic while the 2.0 diesel had the wet clutch powershift?
The MA/MB/MC Mondeo 2.3 petrol had a 6 speed T/C auto. (Base LX kept the 2.3 for MC).

The MA/MB Mondeo 2.0 diesel had a 6 Speed T/C auto.

The MC Mondeo 2.0 Petrol and diesel had the Powershift DCT.
Mustang GT

Old 22-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #17
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
In our family, the Mondeo had a bit of a tough task. Country driving plus acres of gravel roads. The uniqueness of the car became a problem when (for example) the exhaust rattled off and a replacement couldn't be sourced quickly, so the mechanic got creative. It forever had "sports exhaust" after. Eventually, it rattled to pieces and was replaced by a Falcon which didn't.
That's the problem with Euros, they just don't hold up to our conditions, my daily is the lovely South African build LV TDCI Focus.

Starts first time every time, never let me down engine wise except prematurely killing batteries (they last 12-18 months) and it blew the injector return line and 3rd injector seal in warranty.

Body is falling apart though, tail lights one has faded and gone all yellow, the other is perfect.

The rear 1/4 windows and tail lights both leak water into the boot when it rains.

Dash vibrates at idle, the moment you touch the throttle it goes away - engine mounts appear to be OK

But it's copped an absolute flogging, it tows overloaded 6x4 trailers on the regular, it's been beaten within an inch of it's life as I flog the crap out of it and it's done a lot of gravel roads.

Still returns 5.5L/100km and still on its original pads and rotors at 180,000km, doesn't go fast enough to need brakes

I was thinking of replacing it with an Ecoboost Mondildo but the Powershift crapola has scared me off - bargain on the second hand market.

MC is cheap as chips and MD wagon is too but DSG is a trap on the second hand market.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 22-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Are the stories about the mondeo/fusion becoming a subaru outback style wagon real. Or just rumours?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Are the stories about the mondeo/fusion becoming a subaru outback style wagon real. Or just rumours?
Like this one:
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...est-mule-spied
Old 23-12-2019, 03:46 PM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Looks like it’s a goer then. Strong chance it will probably make it here too as it should be available in rhd.
Old 23-12-2019, 05:21 PM   #21
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Looks like it’s a goer then. Strong chance it will probably make it here too as it should be available in rhd.
Initially I was also wondering if this was maybe a 7 seater Escape as the rear resembles the all-new Escape due here next year however the wheel base looks a bit too long for an Escape.

...and then in the last shot you can see this mule with another mule behind it of a chopped up current Escape which makes this claimed Mondeo SUV look smaller...
https://www.autocar.co.uk/sites/auto...?itok=-8cN2YN0

Last edited by Dr Smith; 23-12-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 24-12-2019, 03:12 AM   #22
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can I ask which series Mondeo you had? I know Falcons have a reputation for being tough, but my BF sure rattled a hell of a lot more than my MD. Maybe if I lived where there was lots of gravel, my story would be different, though.

Quote:
Well then, if Ford spec it right, they should sell. I might be interested if they brought a petrol one along instead of making it diesel only.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2019, 09:27 AM   #23
FPV0002
FPV0002

Bit of a shame, I too think the mondeo is largely underrated car in general. We have a MB Titanium diesel and has been great since we’ve had it. Smooth engine with tonnes of torque, great build quality and lots of features, comfortable, extremely economical and the quality of interior components far better than my FPV which is twice as expensive. Also it has a massive boot and more than enough room for the four of us, luggage, pram etc.
Once again a lot more boot space than my Falcon. Titanium is the pick with leather interior and sunroof as standard. Great car
FPV0002 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #24
IanC

Quote:
I'd still take a BFII if I wanted a wagon to last a very long time and not cost much on repairs/maintenance.
I totally agree. The sportswagons are nowhere near as roomy in the boot as the BA/BF wagons were. I have a 2003 BA wagon. There is nothing on the market that I could replace it with that has the same boot capacity not to mention the lovely 4lt Barra engine. I have it on dual fuel but use LPG all the time and it is so cheap to run. SUVs don't have the space in the boot. OK they have height but they don't have length. A pickup with a canopy would do the job but would not have the refinement. So I will keep running the BA till it has an expensive mechanical failure.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 07:12 AM   #25
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

I hope Ford changes the roofline on that 7 seater escape. Thats something im having trouble unseeing.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2019, 09:07 AM   #26
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanC View Post
I totally agree. The sportswagons are nowhere near as roomy in the boot as the BA/BF wagons were. I have a 2003 BA wagon. There is nothing on the market that I could replace it with that has the same boot capacity not to mention the lovely 4lt Barra engine. I have it on dual fuel but use LPG all the time and it is so cheap to run. SUVs don't have the space in the boot. OK they have height but they don't have length. A pickup with a canopy would do the job but would not have the refinement. So I will keep running the BA till it has an expensive mechanical failure.
Although I never had a Falcon wagon I've had a Mitsy Magna one and even that had a surprising amount of space . The cargo barrier curtailed it a bit but still had enough to suit me . Drove it for yonks and it had well over 300K on it . Ended up needing a lot of work on the brakes and starting to have electrical issues so i took it off the road but as for usability it was great .

A Ford Falcon wagon was a pretty good option for many and in their heyday they were good sellers . The BF was the last station wagon we had so to get hold of a really nice BF or BA one would be pretty terrific..Glad you have yours .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #27
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have you been reading the thread?

You're asking if the Mondeo will be replaced with an SUV?..?

Answer is yes, if it hasn't already.

I'll admit, I've slightly lost track of them all; Explorer, Expedition, Echinacea, Everest, Enema, Ecosport, Edge, Enigma, Endura, eccetera.
but yes, there is bound to be something in that size.

As for how "wagonish" it will be, the trend is towards more rounded shapes, with less rear-overhang than traditional wagons, but i imagine there will be a variety.
(Just keep in mind that a mule may use an existing body shape to test new running gear, and the final result may look nothing like it.)
Old 28-12-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Have you been reading the thread?

You're asking if the Mondeo will be replaced with an SUV?..?

Answer is yes, if it hasn't already.

I'll admit, I've slightly lost track of them all; Explorer, Expedition, Echinacea, Everest, Enema, Ecosport, Edge, Enigma, Endura, eccetera.
but yes, there is bound to be something in that size.

As for how "wagonish" it will be, the trend is towards more rounded shapes, with less rear-overhang than traditional wagons, but i imagine there will be a variety.
(Just keep in mind that a mule may use an existing body shape to test new running gear, and the final result may look nothing like it.)

WTF. It’s not being replaced with an suv. It’s being morphed into one like a subaru outback. A jacked up wagon.

Considering that was not mentioned once before i posted that question why would you ask if i had read the thread? It’s irrelevant to the question i asked and a complete wrong take.
Old 31-12-2019, 11:34 PM   #29
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
WTF. It’s not being replaced with an suv.
The Mondeo will nolonger be made. Period.
If you so choose, you will have a choice of various Ford products, mostly SUVs, some of which will be of similar length and width to the Mondeo, and in fact built on the same platform.
Quote:
replace verb
/rɪˈpleɪs/
Verb Forms

replace something/somebody to be used instead of something or someone else;
The new design will eventually replace all existing models.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:14 PM   #30
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
The Mondeo will nolonger be made. Period.
If you so choose, you will have a choice of various Ford products, mostly SUVs, some of which will be of similar length and width to the Mondeo, and in fact built on the same platform.
What if they use the Mondeo name for the new design?