Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default National Basketball League in crisis.

Well for me personally its been a very sad few weeks watching the NBL unravel and teams pull out, the latest casulties the Dragons and Melb Tigers are the last nail in the coffin... I expect BA to announce the league will be off next season and a 12 month break. Too many agendas and personal influence from private ownership and poor management.
Having been involved in the sport for over 30 years and currently an assistant Coach in the SEABL its a terrible situation.
Its such a pitty given how strong Basketball is at the grass roots and even how good the std is at the elite level.
The South East Australian Basketball League (SEABL) which is a NBL feeder league couldnt be stronger, its such a shame.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I agree Norm. It is a shame. I know in Kilsyth where my son played until recently, there were some great players starting to come through. Kids love the game. Jack used to coach a kids team too and we all spent our Saturdays at the stadium watching. I hope the league gets sorted out soon!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Well for me personally its been a very sad few weeks watching the NBL unravel and teams pull out, the latest casulties the Dragons and Melb Tigers are the last nail in the coffin... I expect BA to announce the league will be off next season and a 12 month break. Too many agendas and personal influence from private ownership and poor management.
Having been involved in the sport for over 30 years and currently an assistant Coach in the SEABL its a terrible situation.
Its such a pitty given how strong Basketball is at the grass roots and even how good the std is at the elite level.
The South East Australian Basketball League (SEABL) which is a NBL feeder league couldnt be stronger, its such a shame.
Great to see Spartans are ruling at the moment.Have to agree mate,lots of great upcoming players and not just in the SEABL comp but younger ones as well and no where to go basically.The recent Classics was a good pointer to the future.
Mercury 8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Windsor220
Now Fordless

The NBL is still going? Man that takes me back....
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
I agree Norm. It is a shame. I know in Kilsyth where my son played until recently, there were some great players starting to come through. Kids love the game. Jack used to coach a kids team too and we all spent our Saturdays at the stadium watching. I hope the league gets sorted out soon!
Im currently coaching at Kilsyth, the club and association is incredibly strong, like so many other associations, our jnr development is very successful too, local Luke Kendall was in the boomers squad.
The NBL is such a contrast to the rest of the sport, including the WNBL, ive got countless friends coaching and playing in the NBL and these people are all basically out of work now...

Old 11-05-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
Great to see Spartans are ruling at the moment.Have to agree mate,lots of great upcoming players and not just in the SEABL comp but younger ones as well and no where to go basically.The recent Classics was a good pointer to the future.
Yes the Brisbane Spartans are the team to beat in SEABL.. very talanted "NBL" standard team!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My friend is a major statskeeper in the Hawthorn Basketball Assocation, plays in two different teams, does the Hawthorn Magic Website, and worked for (officially) and also volunteered with the South Dragons (until they kicked him out - when it was reported on SEN, the facts were WRONG)...

He got me into the Dragons in their first season, but despite the excitement that is at a basketball match, most people wouldn't know where the Tigers or Dragons play, who their coaches are, their colours etc.
The stadiums are not exactly full.

Yet he has told me first hand that junior basketball in Victoria is the envy of other sports.

I hope a new league comes back, much like the old NSL to the A-League, which each are a good standard respectively, and no doubt football has prospered with the A-League. I would never have gone to an NSL match because of the ethnic ties with the clubs.

Now, basketball doesn't have that complication, but from the early 90s when basketball was on Channel 10 and was absolutely thriving, it's gone dead, with advertising at the highest level basically gone.
The Dragons have advertised recently, but it's just at bus stops and train stations - not during perhaps children's television, which is when you want it to be advertised I would have thought, seeing that children are the ones with the interest. Get them in early.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I just worked out who you are Norm...and yes..we have met several times!
Old 11-05-2009, 10:41 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
My friend is a major statskeeper in the Hawthorn Basketball Assocation, plays in two different teams, does the Hawthorn Magic Website, and worked for (officially) and also volunteered with the South Dragons (until they kicked him out - when it was reported on SEN, the facts were WRONG)...

He got me into the Dragons in their first season, but despite the excitement that is at a basketball match, most people wouldn't know where the Tigers or Dragons play, who their coaches are, their colours etc.
The stadiums are not exactly full.

Yet he has told me first hand that junior basketball in Victoria is the envy of other sports.

I hope a new league comes back, much like the old NSL to the A-League, which each are a good standard respectively, and no doubt football has prospered with the A-League. I would never have gone to an NSL match because of the ethnic ties with the clubs.

Now, basketball doesn't have that complication, but from the early 90s when basketball was on Channel 10 and was absolutely thriving, it's gone dead, with advertising at the highest level basically gone.
The Dragons have advertised recently, but it's just at bus stops and train stations - not during perhaps children's television, which is when you want it to be advertised I would have thought, seeing that children are the ones with the interest. Get them in early.
The biggest things that killed supporter interest was the loss of association based teams to privately owned teams that nobody had an afinity with.. and the loss of FTA TV and it was a 1 way ticket.
You are right though,at the junior level Basketball is one of the highest participation sports in the country.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Participation is high,we currently have 18 junior teams at our club.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury 8
Participation is high,we currently have 18 junior teams at our club.
In melb the bigger domestic clubs field 60 - 70 teams. Rep programs with 30-40 teams, big associations have 20,000++ kids playing... There are dozens of associations in melb alone. Our stadium alone see's 25000 people through the door every week! New stadiums being built every month...
Our association owns 2 licenced venues!
The sport is more popular than ever, its just not translating to the pointy end.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

When the League went to Foxtel I quickly lost interest.

I used to go to half a dozen games a year when games were being broadcast on FTA but lack of exposure due to the move to pay TV required effort to keep up with the goings on which in turn took basketball off my radar.

Would it have been better for the League to remain on FTA? Who knows. I wasn't going to subscribe for Basketball and I doubt it was a big draw card for others to pick up the service.

Shame really. I couldn't tell you how the Kings have gone for the last 7 or so years since I went to a game. I heard they may have won a few seasons...?
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
Mercury 8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
In melb the bigger domestic clubs field 60 - 70 teams. Rep programs with 30-40 teams, big associations have 20,000++ kids playing... There are dozens of associations in melb alone. Our stadium alone see's 25000 people through the door every week! New stadiums being built every month...
Our association owns 2 licenced venues!
The sport is more popular than ever, its just not translating to the pointy end.
The game is big down there.They are good numbers.We have 6/7 clubs play at our stadium and all have similar numbers to us with around 3 teams for each age and gender in the rep comp.The cost of playing rep is becoming a little much for some though with virtually no support from the community/sponsors these days.Fund raising is a must among the rep parents,Darwin and Cairns so far with Tasmania and Adelaide coming up soon.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
The NBL is still going? Man that takes me back....
Unfortunately the NBL revamped themselves a few years back to try to survive. With the current situation it's not good.

As for grass roots its like Soccer in this country big following in the lower levels but not a powerhouse when it comes to the big show (mind you NSL is doing a lot better after their last revamp) hopefully the NBL can do the same.
Old 12-05-2009, 08:57 AM   #15
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it is a sad time for the sport

i used to coach a junior team here in geelong ad a few of the guys i coached went on to play with the geelong supercats

I am one that is hoping the NBL comes back bigger and better

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 01:40 AM   #16
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just heard on the news they will still go ahead with a 7 team league next season, albeit without a team from melbourne sydney brisbane and perhaps adelaide.

Larry Senstock from the nbl warned the tigers and dragons they are no certainties to enter a year later as they plan to do. All players from the withdrawn teams become free agents as on july 1st.
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
When the League went to Foxtel I quickly lost interest.

I used to go to half a dozen games a year when games were being broadcast on FTA but lack of exposure due to the move to pay TV required effort to keep up with the goings on which in turn took basketball off my radar.

Would it have been better for the League to remain on FTA? Who knows. I wasn't going to subscribe for Basketball and I doubt it was a big draw card for others to pick up the service.

Shame really. I couldn't tell you how the Kings have gone for the last 7 or so years since I went to a game. I heard they may have won a few seasons...?
Im with you mate. I was in the same frame of mind. Only went to 2-3 games after it was taken off fta.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #18
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes... 7 team league, not much of a "national" league without teams from Melb or Syd...
The whole thing is a mess and will take years to sort out.. i just hope supporters have the patience to hang in there.

Old 13-05-2009, 09:40 AM   #19
rodderz

There has been so many name changes and management issues for years now. I grew up playing for over 10 years and loved watching the "Coburg Giants", or "Nunawading Spectres" who then changed that many names I lost who was who later on. Back then the Dillon's, Senstock, Phil Smyth, Gaze, Loggins etc were legends and drew massive crowds.

No doubt the sport itself is still flourishing but not the management of it all
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
There has been so many name changes and management issues for years now. I grew up playing for over 10 years and loved watching the "Coburg Giants", or "Nunawading Spectres" who then changed that many names I lost who was who later on. Back then the Dillon's, Senstock, Phil Smyth, Gaze, Loggins etc were legends and drew massive crowds.

No doubt the sport itself is still flourishing but not the management of it all
Yes.. the good old days.. hey i played for Nunawading Spectres!!

The NBL flourished when the teams were Club/Association based, they had loyal passionate support from locals. The "morphing" of teams just lost supporters..

Old 13-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #21
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Participation my be high, but I don't know anyone who watches basketball. Its not really a part of Australian culture. Not like Footy, Cricket, beer, and bbq's are.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:36 AM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Participation my be high, but I don't know anyone who watches basketball. Its not really a part of Australian culture. Not like Footy, Cricket, beer, and bbq's are.
Yes and no, 15 years ago it was a far more popular sport amongst "non" traditional basketball people because of the FTA exposure and "coolness" factor that the NBA/Jordan/Magic etc had on our sporting awareness. It was "cool" to follow a NBA or NBL team, especially for people from other codes.
Even today Basketball is very popular amongst players from other codes, especially AFL, just look at the attendee's at games, )and mingling at night clubs..!.)
When the NBL was a winter season comp people would walk across from the MCG after an AFL game and go to the tennis centre for dinner and a NBL game, the AFL and NBL worked well together in that respect, too many teams have morphed and the loss of FTA has killed it... for now!

Last edited by 4Vman; 13-05-2009 at 10:41 AM.
4Vman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #23
B&D Racing
Banned

Nunawading Spectres, Coburg Giants, Geelong Supercats - talk about blast from the past - my old man played for St.Kilda in the 70's and for Australia - Albert Park Stadium was my second home - in the 80's Basketball was cool, exciting - everyone was playing it at school - you could watch NBL and NBA on Free to Air - in the 90's NBL and NBA went Foxtel/Austar and there was less promotions in schools - fast forward to 2009 - Dead! Look at the AFL - outside VIC and SA - non existent - it was all Rugby - now through a national comp and the AusKick program nationally in schools it is thriving - Basketball needs to connect again with the kids through the schools - get the kids hooked and the parents have no choice but to get involved.
B&D Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #24
SSFPARTSGUY
Genuine Ford Parts

They should have never switched the seasons. When it was being playing through the middle of the year Im sure the attendance to games was alot larger. Moving it to the summer was just the worst move ever IMO.

PH. (07) 3008 6277 email: parts@southsideford.com.au
SSFPARTSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #25
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for a sport to flourish it needs strong support and to attract new participants. One of the local schools ran a program on a Friday night here about 18 months ago. Only condition was no players allowed who had played any organised comp at all ie newcomers to the sport. They had some of the local league players, Seahawks there as coaches. Had a huge turnup, all had a ball and really enjoyed it as most were about the same level. You know what they did after the success of this program? Not a thing!! It ran as a once off and that was it. Talk about shoot yourself in the foot. No wonder footy and cricket dominate, they are smart enough to go after the kids and try and keep them interested.
Old 13-05-2009, 11:22 AM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Guys, all great feedback and all exactly what so many people have been thinking about and saying went wrong.. and more importantly what worked, hopefully change will bring back what worked.

Old 13-05-2009, 11:43 AM   #27
rodderz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj777
Nunawading Spectres, Coburg Giants, Geelong Supercats - talk about blast from the past - my old man played for St.Kilda in the 70's and for Australia - Albert Park Stadium was my second home - in the 80's Basketball was cool, exciting - everyone was playing it at school - you could watch NBL and NBA on Free to Air - in the 90's NBL and NBA went Foxtel/Austar and there was less promotions in schools - fast forward to 2009 - Dead! Look at the AFL - outside VIC and SA - non existent - it was all Rugby - now through a national comp and the AusKick program nationally in schools it is thriving - Basketball needs to connect again with the kids through the schools - get the kids hooked and the parents have no choice but to get involved.
I remember when I was a mad Giants fan (North Melbourne I think they were) when there was that epic finals series between Giants v Canberra Cannons, another year vs the Brisbane Bullets, Sydney Kings.... every game was on TV as well. Scott Fisher played like a gun every game, he even came to our school for clinics back in the day, they had auskick style events on.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #28
Captain Falcon
FALCON PAWWWNCH!!!

When i was alot younger i played for the Waverley Eagles, one training session we had Lenard Copeland come to do a clinic. We used to go to Tigers games at the glasshouse back in the day and it was always packed. But in the last few years of the NBL you would have gotten more people at a Netball match.

Coz only hairdressers use blow dryers! :evil3:
Captain Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post