Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #1
Falcon Freak
Banned

Default Real world crash test of Audi A3

Link to pictures

Should make us all rethink how fast we drive at times. It is all good fun until it goes horribly wrong.

FF

Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 02:49 PM   #2
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

oh, hahaha wouldnt you be spitting chips!
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 02:51 PM   #3
Jet-Star

Bloody hell...
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

ummm repost... ummm fake.... ummm completely staged and not real.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:05 PM   #5
sfr rob

what? and how do you know that as fact... it looks pretty real to me, why would you stage that anyway?
Old 08-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #6
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

www.wreckedexotics.com is another crash site too.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:18 PM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Not fake.

But only two things: 1 - where is the engine (this was answered as I got to the last few pics)

2: Why is the speedo and tacho needles still pointing up?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:25 PM   #8
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Not fake.

But only two things: 1 - where is the engine (this was answered as I got to the last few pics)

2: Why is the speedo and tacho needles still pointing up?
clusters are actually designed to do that so ive read before..... enables accident investigators to see what speeds it was doing at the crash
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:30 PM   #9
seano14
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember there being a massive debate around this a while ago. i think the fake argument was mostly around the fact that the ground isnt disturbed at all, no gouge marks or signs that bits of car slid or bounced across the ground to where they were currently resting.
seano14 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2006, 03:41 PM   #10
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seano14
i remember there being a massive debate around this a while ago. i think the fake argument was mostly around the fact that the ground isnt disturbed at all, no gouge marks or signs that bits of car slid or bounced across the ground to where they were currently resting.
That would be one of the bigger give aways, yup.

Check out pic 14, with the engine. This has seperated away from the car - yet there are no marks on the ground from the direction of the tape measure (measuring the distance of the engine thrown from the car).
Old 08-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
sfr rob

it sure is interesting, but i still dont know why someone would want to fake something like that, there is no real reason to + it would take alot of time to set up.
Old 08-04-2006, 04:24 PM   #12
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
it sure is interesting, but i still dont know why someone would want to fake something like that, there is no real reason to + it would take alot of time to set up.
Perhaps it is to simulate an actual crash? Perhaps some kind of forensic education?
Old 08-04-2006, 04:29 PM   #13
sfr rob

oh, i guess that makes sence.
Old 09-04-2006, 02:12 AM   #14
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Another fact for the fake debate is why haven't the airbags gone off. I know that they will only go off in certain circumsatances but look at the car and front end.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #15
Steffo
LPG > You

The common misconception is that you have to be going very fast for that to happen.

One of the weakest points in most monocoque street cars is the centre area of the vehicle, right where that A3 is torn in half. 60-80km/h in 99% of street cars sliding into a tree side on would be more then adequate to kill all the occupants of the vehicle.

100km/h and your coffin would be relatively empty... maybe a piece of you here and there, with mangled car embedded in it.

A 2000kg Mercedes S500 would do no better hitting a tree side on like that. They are the most unforgiving objects to hit, as all the kinetic energy the vehicle carries is unleashed onto the first thing to give - and it won't be the tree. Plus don't forget... the car will stop instantly... but you won't! So even if the car someone did stay intact sliding into a tree at 60km/h... it will go from 60-0 in that split second... but you will impact the side of the car at 60km/h. And seatbelts used on road cars are not very effective when it comes to side on impacts like that.

That is most definitley real. And I'd be really surprised if the car was going over 100km/h in that hit - if it was even going 100.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 02:33 AM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Let me add...

Quite clear... 100km/h. And that is DEFINITLEY not going to be 100mph, as the car is at 2100rpm... and no 4cyl five-speed car is going to cruise 160km/h (100mph) at 2100rpm....
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 09:32 AM   #17
smally289
growing up is optional

Yeah, and Im guessing 100mph wouldnt be half way up the speedo either!

I have been called to many Vehicle accidents and have seen speedo's stuck like this one. The investigations they can do at an accident site are amazing, as long as things are left alone.
Having seen people trapped in mangled cars it makes you think twice when you overtake on the highway.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 09:42 AM   #18
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
I have been called to many Vehicle accidents and have seen speedo's stuck like this one. The investigations they can do at an accident site are amazing, as long as things are left alone.
Having seen people trapped in mangled cars it makes you think twice when you overtake on the highway.
NOT wrong !!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #19
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yeah, tru. I don't doubt that the bits of the car are fake. The actaul accident... possbile setup, but f***'n hard to get it wrapped around the tree like that...no sign of blood anywhere either...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 12:52 PM   #20
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
That is most definitley real. And I'd be really surprised if the car was going over 100km/h in that hit - if it was even going 100.
Show me one photo, a sign of skidding by any component (engine, tyre, front end, back end) on that loosely bedded pine needle forest floor.

That engine would have to weigh ~70kg, maybe more, and it didn't get dropped into position without disturbing the ground carefully. In an accident from 100km/h where the engine dropped out of the car (yes i know they are designed to do that), it is not going to be that comfortably left there.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 PM   #21
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Let me add...

Quite clear... 100km/h. And that is DEFINITLEY not going to be 100mph, as the car is at 2100rpm... and no 4cyl five-speed car is going to cruise 160km/h (100mph) at 2100rpm....
it looks like a diesel from the very low red line though
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 01:19 PM   #22
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

How old is that? I recall these pics on the old forums a long time ago...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 01:39 PM   #23
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The crash actually happened. But those photos are of a reconstruction that was set up for educational purposes. The crash happened but those photos are of the real crash.

Airbags didn't go off because its not a frontal impact. Becuase it slip sideways into the tree the airbags didn't go off (Unless it had side airbags).
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 03:32 PM   #24
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
60-80km/h in 99% of street cars sliding into a tree side on would be more then adequate to kill all the occupants of the vehicle.

100km/h and your coffin would be relatively empty... maybe a piece of you here and there, with mangled car embedded in it.
What a load of rubbish, just how many fatal accident scene's have you attended to come up with this theory.

How you can make such sweeping statements when there are so many variables to consider is beyond me
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:30 PM   #25
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some one taxed the CD player, lmao.
TEaaron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #26
54Ghia

The tree damage has happened in the past, but is consistent with the impact on both the first tree and the one behind the tail.
This looks very much like a reconstruction as someone already mentioned. A lot of the parts look like they have been placed, as someone else mentioned the ground is basically not desturbed anywhere, particularly where the engine is. The engine also look's like it's been in the weather for a while not fresh from the car.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:23 PM   #27
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FYI

Link to website giving description of the accident

http://timeslips.bootnetworks.com/a3tree/index.html

Disclaimer: Not sure of the validity of the info on said website, nor do I care
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2006, 08:28 PM   #28
stock au
Need go fast bit's

even if it is fake(which i think it is)makes you think twice that yes speed kills
stock au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 09:25 AM   #29
Ringo
I see you....

I don't think it is a fake. The level of detail and destruction is just too great.

The only reason that it is suspected to fake is because there are no gouge marks in the dirt.... I think the car would be airborne on impact.

I have seen these photo's before about 18 months ago. It is a deisel Audi A3? The low readline (4500rpm) is the give away. Petrol engine would redline at 6,500 or something like that.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 11:24 AM   #30
Envious
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo
I don't think it is a fake. The level of detail and destruction is just too great.

The only reason that it is suspected to fake is because there are no gouge marks in the dirt.... I think the car would be airborne on impact.

I have seen these photo's before about 18 months ago. It is a deisel Audi A3? The low readline (4500rpm) is the give away. Petrol engine would redline at 6,500 or something like that.
Right, so it was airborne then suddenly plonked down right where it sits after impacting at such a great speed....
people, get over it
1. : search is your friend !
2. Its so obvious that is a fake that its not funny anymore...