Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 17-02-2006, 02:29 PM   #1
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Vibrations!

G'day guys,

I've got what feels and sounds like a shuddering or a vibration from the rear end. The car has only done 75k.

When sitting on highway speeds say 100km's with the cruise on, I can hear a rhythmic drone, drone, drone noise. When I disengage cruise and the speed drops below 100, it make this shuddering sound and I can feel vibes also. I can also see the vibes in the mirror.

I don't feel any vibration from the gearbox, the selector doesn't move and I can't feel vibes with my hand on it at speed.

I had the tailshaft replaced last week and that helped, the sound is quieter, the mirror vibrates less, but the problem isn't totally gone.

What could it be? Gearbox, diff (replaced oil last night - noise not gone!), wheel bearing(s), engine mounts?Anyone else had these sorts of issues?

I'm having the trans fliud replace at fluidrive tomorrow. If that's no help,
where could I go to get it properly diagnosed?

Your thoughts and advice as always, are appreciated.

Gk

GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 02:34 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am trying to figure out what the rythmic vibration from the back end of my ute is as well.

I am going to get the tailshaft balanced and hope that helps .. i am also heard with utes that the tub bolts need tightening up as the subframe gets vibrations from the back at certain speeds.

I just replaced a rear driver's side bearing and axle seal and topped my diff oil up ... but it's still making the noise.

I don't get vibration bad enough to make the mirror vibrate ... but i can feel it through the floor and from the back of the ute.

It's annoying I can tell you ... especially with the amount of time I spend in the ute and the amount of kms I travel daily.

I have resorted to turning the stereo up ... the shakes all of my mirrors plenty.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
TallPaul
Starter Motor

I had the same problem with mu AUI. Took it to dealer who eventually replaced tailshaft under warranty. It helped, but didn't cure it totally. Mine had IRS so don't know if that had any impact on it (obviously it wouldn't on a ute). I think I have also been told at some stage that the drone (rythmic hum) can be common with standard AU exhaust systems???
TallPaul is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 04:29 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I am hoping it's the tailshaft in my case.
My exhaust is not stock ... and it started after I had the ute lowered 1.5"
Thought it was a suspension ... went to a few places ... and they saidthe new suspension was fine.

Meh ... when i get a chance I'll get the tailshaft balanced and see how I go.

GK ... I hope you can figure out the problem soon.
Old 17-02-2006, 05:09 PM   #5
Cheap AU
Column Shiftin'

mine does this also randomly like every 3 months or so usually at lower speeds tho like at 50 or 60 km/h it makes a funny droning noise and vibrate/shudders at the same time for about 2 or 3 seconds
Cheap AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
AU-Hog

My AU3 had severe tailshaft vibration at around 95-105Km/h when I bought it. Checked the rear universal joint and it was OK.
So I reattached the tailshaft to the differential after I rotated it 180 degrees.

No more vibration.....the tailshaft and diff input shaft inbalance had cancelled each other out.
AU-Hog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 08:57 PM   #7
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Tyres? I thought I had a vibration/noise in my driveline, then I changed my tyres - perfect again.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:56 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
Tyres? I thought I had a vibration/noise in my driveline, then I changed my tyres - perfect again.
I was chatting with my brother in law about the noises tonight over tea. He also suggested tyres.

I tried the left side of the car first, switching them over. The initial result was I think the noise has moved to the left front rather than the left rear! Not 100%, I'll leave it for a few days so I can drive to work a few trips. I do 42kays each way.

If the noise has moved indeed I'll get 4 new tyres. If unsure, I'll switch the two fronts. If the noise moves right, I'll have it licked for sure.

If not, I may give the tailshaft a 180degree rotation. That's a plan I reckon.

I'll keep you posted, thanks heaps for your thoughts.

I love the forum!

GK
Old 17-02-2006, 11:15 PM   #9
Rob
Living the dream

Now, I know that they're very different cars, but I had a very similar problem with my VP; turned out it was the torque converter on its way out. Maybe something similar? I didnt expect the torque converter to cause it though. Weird..

Cheers.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Now, I know that they're very different cars, but I had a very similar problem with my VP; turned out it was the torque converter on its way out. Maybe something similar? I didnt expect the torque converter to cause it though. Weird..

Cheers.
The trans is ok. Had it serviced today at fluidrive at Coburg. They were good guys. They noticed the new tailshaft I had fitted last week wasn't lined up properly to the diff input. You could see the pattern from the original diff setup from the factory. They rotated it (45degrees or so) back to standard position.

We'll see if that helps also. Got to drive on the ring road to visit my mother for lunch tomorrow. Will have the wife and daughter in the car, but I hope I;ll be able to get a fix on the noise or lack thereof. Maybe the misses will be able to help!

I'll keep you posted.

GK
Old 21-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

How's it been going since this ... interested in knowing.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:09 AM   #12
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
How's it been going since this ... interested in knowing.
Thanks for the interest!

The drive around the ring road seemed to confirm the noise moved to the front left.

Driving to work this morning it seems the same. I'm going to switch the two front tyres over and see if the noise moves right. It may not though if the tyre has only ever been on the left side of the car. But hey, if it stops and i can get the full wear out of the tyres then that's a bonus guess.

In addition, there is another noise from the left rear, almost 100% certain that it's a bearing. No problems there.

Incidently I bought a 4litre can of sound deadener from SuperCheap and painted under the wheel arches. Car is heaps quieter. Maybe all that will do is enable me to hear more noises from elsewhere! LOL!

GK
Old 21-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #13
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

hey GK, what sound Deadener did you buy, and $$.

I have a diff whine that i wouldnt mind deadening out a bit, so was thinking of getting some sound deadening paint and painting up and around the diff & Tail shaft to try to deaden it a bit. I may even get some matting and put in the boot over the hump beacause it is extreemly annoying when carting loads with the seats down.

Cheers
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2006, 03:52 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
hey GK, what sound Deadener did you buy, and $$.

I have a diff whine that i wouldnt mind deadening out a bit, so was thinking of getting some sound deadening paint and painting up and around the diff & Tail shaft to try to deaden it a bit. I may even get some matting and put in the boot over the hump beacause it is extreemly annoying when carting loads with the seats down.

Cheers
Septone Body Deadener (green can, white lid) $35 SuperCheap Auto. It just paints on with a brush. Much cheaper than the 400gram spray can!

I used half of it on the 4 wheel arches, I'm going to do the underbody this weekend with the rest. It may not be enough, but I tell you it made a noticable difference just with tyre noise today!

Make sure the noise in the rear is actually a diff and not a wheel bearing. I originally thought mine was diff noise too. Very glad it's the bearing, much, much less costly to fix!

Personally I wouldn't paint the diff, but the underbody around it. That's me though! You could paint it in the wheel well you know! Might smell a bit, but worth considering!

All the best with it, let us know how you go.

GK
Old 21-02-2006, 03:59 PM   #15
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

Yeah wasnt going to paint the diff itself, just the body around it. I am certain its diff whine, just dont really want to spend the money to get it fixed yet, rather just let it be at the moment, just trying to quiten it down a bit. Thanks for that i will go and get some & see how it goes
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 09:38 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by autickfordfairmont
Yeah wasnt going to paint the diff itself, just the body around it. I am certain its diff whine, just dont really want to spend the money to get it fixed yet, rather just let it be at the moment, just trying to quiten it down a bit. Thanks for that i will go and get some & see how it goes
All the best with it.

GK
Old 22-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #17
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

i used to have a similar issue in the ute, turned out to be tyre pressure's not adjusted right and ИИИИ tyres have ducaros on atm and haven't had a problem, since.
Orbit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2006, 11:57 PM   #18
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

maybe the car is posessed by THE BEACH BOYS ! .lol
"im pickin up good vibrations , good - good - good - good vibrations" ..lmao
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:19 AM   #19
chalkys1966
Fly Boy

im interested to see AUs have this 'rythmic vibtation' issue.. ive had in my ZG for a while and im interested to note 2 possible cause.. exhaust pipe reverberation and torque convertor issues... ive already had my tail shaft balanced and new tyres and wheel alignments and balances and the vibration is much better BUT its still there at 110km up to 130km... what also i have noticed is i get up to these speeds and pop into nuetral and it still seems to be there but harder to notice....... anyone out there had this issue and resolved it????? if youve had it youll know wot we mean......
chalkys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 02:25 AM   #20
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Try harmonic balancer.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 03:47 AM   #21
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
G'day guys,

I've got what feels and sounds like a shuddering or a vibration from the rear end. The car has only done 75k.

When sitting on highway speeds say 100km's with the cruise on, I can hear a rhythmic drone, drone, drone noise. When I disengage cruise and the speed drops below 100, it make this shuddering sound and I can feel vibes also. I can also see the vibes in the mirror.

I don't feel any vibration from the gearbox, the selector doesn't move and I can't feel vibes with my hand on it at speed.

I had the tailshaft replaced last week and that helped, the sound is quieter, the mirror vibrates less, but the problem isn't totally gone.

What could it be? Gearbox, diff (replaced oil last night - noise not gone!), wheel bearing(s), engine mounts?Anyone else had these sorts of issues?

I'm having the trans fliud replace at fluidrive tomorrow. If that's no help,
where could I go to get it properly diagnosed?

Your thoughts and advice as always, are appreciated.

Gk
Borrow a set of wheels , if it's still there heck the propshaft and uni joints
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 12:55 PM   #22
chalkys1966
Fly Boy

ive already replaced uni joints and balanced the tail shaft. replaced tyres, rotated rims and balanced. im liking JCs idea of the harmonic balancer.
chalkys1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 01:05 PM   #23
chrispie123
Banned

ive had same thing in both my ef and au with the superlow springs upon removing tail shaft not long ago i noticed a polished area in the tailshaft and a polished area in the chassis so i now know where the problem is
chrispie123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 04:20 PM   #24
xr8ute
Back on the road

Mine turned out to be two broken engine mounts....doh!

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2006, 05:23 PM   #25
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
Mine turned out to be two broken engine mounts....doh!
What did it cost you to get those replaced?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 22-12-2006, 09:00 PM   #26
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
What did it cost you to get those replaced?
$135 each...just the bits in the middle.

I plan on replacing the gearbox mount as well (about $30). I reckon it has probably copped a hammering with the other two mounts being broken :(

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post