Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Aftermarket Tail Lights
Yes 30 31.58%
No 65 68.42%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2006, 10:29 AM   #1
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Default Aftermarket Tail Lights

Hey all,
I was just wanting to get peoples opinions on aftermarket tail lights. I am looking at getting some for my 2004 BA ute but I am undecided if I think they look 'ricey' or not.
Also I have no idea where to buy them from as all the ones on ebay seem to be for BA's up till 2003 and I can't find anywhere that has them for 2004 utes.
I have seen a few utes getting around with them on and I think some look really good and others look terrible.
Thanks!

Old 01-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #2
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Depends which lights.. there's so many diff styles out these days.

The all clear ones with chrome inserts look ok on a silver, white, or very light colours car.. on dark cars stand out too much and look crap.

The ones with black inserts look ok on some cars too.. once agian depends on the colour of the car.
PH47 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I'm sure you'll find them on ebay. I saw a lightning strike XR6 with altezza rear lights, and it was the most bizarre thing i've ever seen. Didn't look CRAP as such, just wrong. But as with every other thread, your car, if you like it go nuts :sm_headba
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #4
XR-ENVI
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh i just answered no but i have aftermarket taillights on my car...BF ones
Narelle
XR-ENVI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

I was looking at the Carbon Fibre ones and I have a Blood Orange ute. I am really not sure. But I guess if you buy them and put them on and they look crap you can always take them off and put the old ones back on.
I am still unable to find any on ebay that suit a 2004 BA. Anyone know of anywhere else I could look?
Whats the difference between the BF and the BA tail lights in the utes?
Old 01-06-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

VP/VR - No
BA/BF - Alright...
AU - No
Lancer - Yes...
Supra - Yes...

Just depends on the car... I reckon they look best on dark coloured utes and vans....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 06:13 PM   #7
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate the altezza style ones but like the clear white ones. They cost me $250 for my AU and are imported from the states where they're made for F250 trucks. Note they are not ADR approaved. Even with red globes the brake lights show up as a pale pink. They are the same as BA. I'm not using them on my BA because I don't think they will suit the colour.

BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 06:34 PM   #8
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I would prefer to push needles in to my eyeballs rather than install clear tailights in my Falcon.

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #9
UTE69Z
Mick

What model is your ute? is it a MKI or MKII?

if it has the seperate reverse light in the rear bar the lights on E-bay should fit, if it has the reverse lights integrated into the lights then No I dont think there is any aftermarket tail lights for them yet.

Whether the clear/altezza style light will suit or not depend on the car...

I have these ones on my white AU ute and I reckon they look heaps better than the standard ones, theres just too much red with the standards.
UTE69Z is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 07:11 PM   #10
CobraLeMans
Horsepower Addict

On a BA/F I think they look fantastic as long as its the black style taillight that matches the design of the headlight. Saying that, they do contrast better on darker coloured cars. The all chrome lights look totally out of place IMHO.
CobraLeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

Its is a MK1 ute and I was looking at getting the carbon fibre ones.
Old 01-06-2006, 07:45 PM   #12
LethalLeigh
Get in the van!

Is there a difference between a 2003 and 2004 BA tailight? Not something I've ever noticed before.

I wouldn't mind a set for my Fiesta, in black to offset the green paintjob:

Old 01-06-2006, 08:31 PM   #13
ToxikXR
you've been dubbed..

From BA MK 2 onwards the reverse light is integrated into the whole light, anything before that has the reverse light in the rear bar..

Those altezzas should be fine it its a pre Mk2
APR Turbo Back Exhaust, APR Torque Arm Insert, APR ECU, APR Fuel Pump, Oettinger Bodykit, Oettinger Intercooler, Oettinger RXX 19x8.5 Wheels, Dbilas Cold Air Induction, Neuspeed Front & Rear Swaybars, Forge Diverter Valve
Anthracite Leather, Sat Nav, Xenons, DSG, Sunroof, 20% Tint
ToxikXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 08:40 PM   #14
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope, that ain't right. I have a 2004 BA MK1 XR8 with the integrated reverse light. It was one of the last MK1's though...
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2006, 11:56 PM   #15
pennybrain
Heart of Blue

My car is also one of the last MK1's to come out. It even came out with MK11 rims on it. And my reverse light is intergrated. Apparently there are no lights for these models yet. But I have seen a MK11 ute with aftermarket tail lights (unless it was just a MK1 but with a MK11 badge on it).
Old 02-06-2006, 10:32 AM   #16
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

There goes the first needle !

AC/DC
Old 02-06-2006, 04:16 PM   #17
AU1FORME
Son of Wolverine

I have an AU1 with Shadow Chrome Altezza Lights the car is white and the shadow chrome goes great with the shadow chrome wheels.

it really depends on the colour of the car and the lights to say if they look good or not.

I have seen a red car with the same lights but in Chrome looked crap to me but the guy who owned it loves it so, hey ??
Old 03-06-2006, 12:02 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

No dont do it, they look terrible on utes, they aint much better on sedans either!!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #19
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-ENVI
oh i just answered no but i have aftermarket taillights on my car...BF ones
Narelle
About the only decent aftermarket option for the BA ... is putting the BF ones on

For the initial question ... there are no aftermarket taillights for the BA MkII utes ... so you can't replace them ... unless you can wire up a different set of reverse lights elsewhere ... then it would look silly.

I think the BA MkII taillights look clean and neat and there's no need for changing them.

I'd like to get the later model taillights for my ute and get rid of the AU/BA Mk I taillights ... but that means replacing the entire rear bar for a BA MkII bar without the silly reverse light in it ... and making an entire new loom for the newer taillights (as the looms and connectors are totally different.)
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 PM   #20
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHH HHHHHHHHHHHHH

Therre go es th e seco nd neddle. j

i ca nt se thekeyboard ver y welll

A C \ Dc
Old 03-06-2006, 04:49 PM   #21
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Personally i dont like any type of Altezza lights.

But hey, its your car you can do what you like, so long as you are happy with what you buy then good on you.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennybrain
My car is also one of the last MK1's to come out. It even came out with MK11 rims on it. And my reverse light is intergrated. Apparently there are no lights for these models yet. But I have seen a MK11 ute with aftermarket tail lights (unless it was just a MK1 but with a MK11 badge on it).

In the ute actually ... I have found that the new taillights went on at the end of the BA MkI's .... so there are a few BA Mk1.5s out there.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2006, 09:01 PM   #23
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I clicked no. Altezza lights are rice. I do not like any form of rice on any vehicles.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 01:50 PM   #24
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Ute69's example: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showpos...25&postcount=9

Is yet another US market lamp. It has some of the functions complying with FMVSS108, but may or may not be compliant with that US requirement, but that is irrelevant here.

In the pic, you see at the bottom edge of each lamp either a red side reflex reflector, OR red side position lamp - done in Mericaaahh as a road requirement, but not in AUS or anywhere on the globe else outside north and south Mericaaahh.

Side markers are optional here in AUS (for MA, MB category) and the rest of the world by way of reflector or lamp but done so - must be ORANGE.

I presume domestically, the clear lamp compartment is used as a flasher with amber 'Phantom' (clear look) bulbs. In the US, they would likely be used with clear bulbs as reversing lights, the primary RED compartment could be used as STOP, TAIL, FLASHER where red is sometimes also used as the flasher, all within one lamp compartment! (Yuck).

Eitherway, the particular lamp will fail local compliance and is certainly defectable.

An ADR 'compliant' lamp will bear the relevant ADR markings for each function OR most likely the E mark, these WILL be compliant.

EVEN a 'compliant' aftermarket lamp, if it replaces a factory lamp, may not be fully functioned, example, it might be missing red rear reflectors but would otherwise be compliant and markes so. When such lamp is used the owner *must* then fit seperate rear red reflectors which must also be compliant. (Marked so).
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 12:17 AM   #25
djjase
IT JUST GET'S BETTER

I had a set in my ute, I quite liked them

I was thinking of buying a set like these ones - always prefered darker tail lights

djjase is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2006, 11:38 AM   #26
GCFordChic
I love AU XR8s

Question

Just wondering what the consensus is about different tail lights on the ol AUIII pursuit? Any suggestions on different styles? Where to get them on the Gold Coast?

Hope the pic works... first time putting one in post.
GCFordChic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #27
bliss_911
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjase
I had a set in my ute, I quite liked them

I was thinking of buying a set like these ones - always prefered darker tail lights

YESS!!! where do you get these "smoked look" tail lights for a BA mk1??? they would look awesome on my Black XR6T!!!
bliss_911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2006, 12:36 AM   #28
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

that tail light tint stuff does an effect like that, it can be bought from autobarn for about $15 as for the lights, if it were lil old me ild go for bf tail lights on the sedan cause they look great(as most would agree) and for a ba ute, i guess it would be an otion, they look great on blue print utes
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #29
zyweik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
When such lamp is used the owner *must* then fit seperate rear red reflectors which must also be compliant. (Marked so).
if you look at the ute bumpers they have two square red reflectors just below the lights which are there to cover up the mounting bolts.. so im guessing these would suffice as "seperate reflectors"...
zyweik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Umm, this thread is like 2.5 years old.

I think the person no longer requires advice...appreciate the effort though

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post