Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 18-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #1
Lumpen Proletariat

Default New Temp Gauge In. Autogauge Smoke.

Temp gauge in the EB has been playing up and it was diagnosed as the ford gauge AND sender! So rather than hunt down a decent pair from a wrecker and run the risk of them failing again (hey, they're old components, they do fail) I decided to get a new gauge mounted in some form of pod.

My preferences were:

Electrical - No little tube of warm water to leak on something and go zap.
'Full' Sweep - Better clarity and precision
Degree's C - Only Imperial measurement I can't get my head around is Farenheit.

I ended up being tipped on to Autogauge and bought a 2" Autogauge Smoke gauge which apparently is a similar effect to the Defi series, though no nifty daisy chain or calibration dance etc. Stuck it in an el cheapo speco 2" cup. Tight fit, but meh.

Here is the result.

Cost of the gauge was $43 delivered (took about 2 weeks) and the Speco Pod was $10. Looks pretty good and gives me piece of mind...Well it should, if I wasn't running at 110*C! Nothing a new thermostat shouldn't fix.

While the dash was apart I also got some other niggles fixed including, the resistor on the (ac) fans fixed, yay! Now I have intermittent settings. The recirc/fresh control fudged It's stuck on recirc rather than fresh now, no more disel smell everytime I pass a semi. Finally got the Trip Computer put in and working, Nifty little beggar, instant reading provides some interesting results. As did the average reading after the auto sparky 'tested' the gauge. 36L/100km on a 4km trip e

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 08:10 PM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

looks good mate, i have put one of these in my car too, a speco guage though. my water temp is 78"C castrol radi cool, and good thermostat, awesome! dragging at calder park, never went over 87

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
vigilante000
/\/\etaL and V8s -Awesome

Very strange that your factory temp isnt working, not usually a problem with the E-series, mostly common with the X-Series. I know you have bought it already, but did they (the sparky) put another sender in as a test? ANNNNYWAYYYY...looks ok, but I would've chosen a cup to fit it properly.

Cheers
ViGiLaNtE351

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BA XR8 MKII

EB Falcon ThermoFan Conversion

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...t=vigilante000

BA Falcon ICC Speaker Wiring

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11342785

BA Wiper Motor in XE

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...=1#post5393955
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
vigilante000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #4
Lumpen Proletariat

Yeah, the auto sparky tested bit the sender and the gauge and neither were reading what ever values they should properly. The cup is a 2" so it should fit but for some reason (either the bundle of wires or something) it doesn't quite fir all the way in.

Can't see it looking from the front though...

Lumpy

Dad: 1994 ED XR8 Sprint: Polynesian Green. Auto. Full Exhaust. Chiptorque Chip. 155.4rwkw.

Happy Dealings with: FordFan86 and Matt_971
Lumpen Proletariat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post