Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #1
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Default Sly Buggers :(

Hi guys,
Friday afternoon I noticed a Work ute (Colarado/Hilux - not sure which one) had the canopy cover over the back.
Nothing so wrong about that until I noticed the small stickers under the windows which read, 'GPS and Mobile device detector'
WOW. As we came up to the lights, I also noticed that it had 3 camera's on the rear canopy. Centre top, right and left sides.

My guessing here, is the NSW government has given the speed-camera contractors more avenues to gain them money.
While I don't agree with driving and texting/talking/holding your phone, there has been no notification about these new mobile, traffic camera's.

This occurred on Newcastle Road, Newcastle. I'm sure they are now everywhere. Just thought i'd share what i'd seen.

ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
XC50077
Drive'n Cruise'n Live'n

Default Re: Sly Buggers :(

Saw the same last Tuesday at Central Coast, ute also had fawn,orange etc patchwork reflective tape along rear and sides. It got pulled over for a random breath test on Wyong Rd. opposite Mingara club .
XC50077 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 10:47 PM   #3
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So whats the idea, they can tell if you are holding a device in your hand. I'd love to know how that works.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

So its a new unit to detect motorists who are using their phones while driving. Probably has some sort of receiver in it to detect mobile phone signals which is hooked up to a camera so they actually have physical proof (or not) you were holding your phone up while driving.

How is this being sly? Its been an offence for ages and IMO far more dangerous than speeding.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #5
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Camera takes photo of you downloading your rego renewal details = fine. Sorry couldn't help myself !!!
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #6
Jack960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Sly Buggers :(

I would like to know how they work, phones constantly send and receive signals I wonder how they would differentiate between the two and whether it's in your center console or hand.
Jack960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 12:15 AM   #7
tlub

or hands free blue tooth . think one would definitely have cause to fight the offence in court
tlub is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 12:38 AM   #8
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's more that it takes photos of oncoming traffic within a certain range of the lense (for clarity), that are punching out a gsm/3g/4g signal, which are then manually sorted through until they find images showing someone clearly holding a phone up to their ear. It has to be clear enough that it can't be overturned in court, so there would be some human involvement with checking the images.

I still see so many people still holding phones to their ears whilst driving on the freeway each day - usually their driving is screaming out "pick me" as they wander & slow down. If it was parked on the shoulder on the freeway in peak hour, and took a photo of every car that passed it, they'd pull in quite a few fines - think of how many cars would pass it every minute, and if say 1 in 500 people get caught, that's still a lot of fines over a 3-4 hour period.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 12:44 AM   #9
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Perhaps they worked out how to automate the cameras they trialled in Victoria that have a 700m range:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1227057430715
Old 21-10-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
PHawk
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The amount of drivers I see still talking on their mobile phones ( Illegal in NZ ) even though their cars have Bluetooth hands free is staggering, RTFM!!!!
FG GT-P 315 6A
FG F6 310 6A
HSV Maloo LS3 6M
GT 335 6A
300 SRT8 Hemi 6.4
PX Ranger XLT
Commodore SS-V Redline LS3
2017 Triumph Speed Triple R
Triumph Street Triple RX
PHawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #11
Guzz226

No problem with his at all

Too many deaths and injuries due to phone use whilst driving when there are many ways to avoid it - Bluetooth, hands free, pull over etc

If anything provides tangible evidence as opposed to the 'he said' constable plod approach
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Not such a bad idea really. The amount of people I see absentmindedly using a mobile phone or texting whilst driving beggars belief. And they are the ones who are driving erratically and endangering others.
Put simply, if you text whilst driving you're an absolute tool who deserves to lose your license.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #13
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I've been trying to find information about this on the RMS website - nothing. Even tried Googling for news articles, but still nothing. Also for what it's worth, Newcastle Rd is not a mobile speed camera location.

It must be testing or something because the NSW Government and the RMS have no information about this and I'm sure for the program to be active they'd need to broadcast some information to the public.

Also the "GPS" part is interesting, nothing illegal about using a GPS unless it's causing a distraction and good luck proving that with one camera snapshot.

So that's why I think some of this doesn't add up.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #14
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guzz226 View Post
No problem with his at all

Too many deaths and injuries due to phone use whilst driving when there are many ways to avoid it - Bluetooth, hands free, pull over etc

If anything provides tangible evidence as opposed to the 'he said' constable plod approach
Genuine question. Where are the stats that showed the use of a mobile phone as a cause of accidents. I know it happens but I couldn't find any.

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 12:08 PM   #15
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple6 View Post
I've been trying to find information about this on the RMS website - nothing. Even tried Googling for news articles, but still nothing. Also for what it's worth, Newcastle Rd is not a mobile speed camera location.

It must be testing or something because the NSW Government and the RMS have no information about this and I'm sure for the program to be active they'd need to broadcast some information to the public.

Also the "GPS" part is interesting, nothing illegal about using a GPS unless it's causing a distraction and good luck proving that with one camera snapshot.

So that's why I think some of this doesn't add up.
It may be to get photos of GPS units mounted in illegal positions on the front windscreen and affecting forward vision.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 12:37 PM   #16
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
It may be to get photos of GPS units mounted in illegal positions on the front windscreen and affecting forward vision.
Which to me is such a small, odd thing to police with cameras.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #17
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack960 View Post
I would like to know how they work, phones constantly send and receive signals I wonder how they would differentiate between the two and whether it's in your center console or hand.
Is there a way to tell between a passive signal and an active signal (ie when the phone is in use)?

If they have in fact found a way to do that, then they'd need the camera to complete the chain of evidence to prove you were holding the phone up to your ear or whatever while you were driving.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 21-10-2014, 01:23 PM   #18
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
Genuine question. Where are the stats that showed the use of a mobile phone as a cause of accidents. I know it happens but I couldn't find any.
I dont have formal stats and it is likely that speed, drugs, alcohol and fatigue are bigger triggers. Regardless should still try and address this as well. There have been multiple accounts of deaths to both drivers and other road users such as cyclists linked to mobile phone use in the media.

Even if it saves one life isn't it worth it? Afterall it maybe yours or your family.

Not mention all the injuries and accidents for which we all pay for indirectly with increased insurance and taxes.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 01:28 PM   #19
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good i hate people who are on the phone while driving. It's about time i say.
damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 01:58 PM   #20
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

It’s funny because a couple of years ago, when driving past a speed camera and noticing another driver talking on their mobile phone, that in Iraq and Afghanistan where IED’s are often triggered by mobile phone, the services were starting to fit these ECM jammer sticks to their vehicles to stymie the mobile phone signals so the IED couldn’t be triggered. There was obviously a way that had been developed to pick up an “active” mobile phone signal, feed it into some sort of system that then interprets that signal as a trigger to take some sort of action.

I thought then that whoever took that system and made it talk to a speed camera system to take pictures of drivers talking on the phone is going to make a lot of money :

Old 21-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #21
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Recently cruising along the highway I got a ichy ear drum dealing with that and singing away to my hearts delight, suddenly there a police car sitting behind me... cut a long story short subdued argument (from me) 20 minute search of ute looking for 'said'phone, I had business cards with me finally got em to ring my phone and wife answered 200k away.
I appreciate what they were doing though and we all saw funny side of it.
Old 21-10-2014, 05:46 PM   #22
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Assuming, checks active signal
Camera then identifies vehicle and takes photo OR determines if handheld phone being used and if so, if cust using it without handsfree.

If so, takes photo

I see no dramas to this, it is simply to capture persons using a phone with proof via picture.
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #23
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My guess is that it wasn't a government vehicle at all. Bet it's a ute that's owned by a company that flogs 'spy' type security and surveillance type equipment.

Either that or it and was set up by some bloke so he can have a laugh at idiot motorists dropping their phones in horror when they think they've somehow been detected yapping on the phone!
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #24
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Either way, I sent an email to the RMS asking if it was their vehicle and asked for an explanation on what it actually does. I'll post a reply if I receive one.
Old 21-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #25
XW-BAXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
Recently cruising along the highway I got a ichy ear drum dealing with that and singing away to my hearts delight, suddenly there a police car sitting behind me... cut a long story short subdued argument (from me) 20 minute search of ute looking for 'said'phone, I had business cards with me finally got em to ring my phone and wife answered 200k away.
I appreciate what they were doing though and we all saw funny side of it.
This reminded me about a month ago or so, i was rubbing my chin like any man checks to see if he needs a shave while driving and a cop car was passing my opposite direction, the looks the two officers gave me as we passed each other was as if they saw a criminal, i thought why? what i do? then it realized maybe they looking to see if im on a mobile phone.

Im glad they fine people on phones, its plain dangerous, ive lost count how many times i seen people risk everyone's lives including theirs. Im sick of peoples carelessness / plain dumb ways.

A female i know is in debt of over 100k because of texting, written her alfa romeo off as well as an expensive merc, she is thankful to be alive and with out a scratch!

Not worth it, pull over and stop to answer / call or text someone.

Nick.
XW-BAXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #26
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I put mine on silent and slap it in the console. Out of sight out of mind. If anyone needs to contact me, they gonna wait till I stop driving.....like we used to pre- 1996. And if its an emergency, call 000.

But if I had 8 kids, all with better phones than me, or ran a business, I`d use hands-free.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2014, 08:56 PM   #27
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are heaps of really good apps out there for Android phones, here's a few I have tried and they work well:

Firstly Motorola have auto answer on headset (which it determines as either bluetooth or hard wired) my phone automatically answers the call after 2 rings without any intervention.

Smart Actions by Motorola, you can prevent your phone from answering a call if it detects it is moving faster than a certain speed (monitored via GPS) but you can add exceptions such as your wife and kids will always get through if they call.

Automateit Pro, this app will do just about anything you want automatically with your phone.

Interestingly the USA is even moving away from hands free bluetooth in cars and even going to the extent where once the ignition is started it jamms the GSM signal, even talking over hands free has now been proven to distract drivers from basic driving tasks.

And I reckon they are right, drive in peak hour traffic and get someone to have an in depth conversation with you and it doesn't take long before you have to halt your conversation just to concentrate on the tasks at hand.
Old 21-10-2014, 11:05 PM   #28
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Nearly ran over a pedestrian texting on phone with earphones on, walked straight out in front of me crossing against the walk man.
Some people cant do 2 things at once.....
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2014, 11:27 PM   #29
Boza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

theres been holden rodeo and other similar cars as mobile speed camersa in melbourne for over 10 years first was a light blue on then there was a burgundy one aswell and been around ever since the mount the flash where the driving lights go
Boza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2014, 08:59 AM   #30
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
I'd say that's right, as a couple of not so bright people at my work have been find for having a GPS device in a position that obscures vision. In both cases the cops advised them to put them in the lower corner of the screen (one was mounted near the sunvisor in front of the driver, and the other guy had his smack in the middle of the screen, just below the centre mirror).

If you drive around certain areas of Sydney there's quite a number of people using oversize GPS units - some of them are almost size of an Ipad, stuck on a screen mount, as well as a large phone like a Samsung S3/S4 on another mount. Add the dangling crap off the mirror, and their vision is as good as using a periscope.

I'm all for it.