Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #1
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Default What do you bench ???.

Hi guy's, as I have been getting into power liffting for the past yr, I'm just currious to see what people bench around here, when I 1st started I could only do 63kg x 1 rep, I was shocked how weak I was in this area, but after some tip's from my mate, that has entered in the National Drug free weighlifter's Championship's and has won numorous times in his division 90kg, I have gone from 63kg to now 100kg bench, my weight has also gone from 70kg to 95kg, I've allway's wanted to be able to bench my own weight, at the beginning I was not ussing proper form and since I have changed which has only been in the last 6 month's my strength has incressed to where I would like to be, anybody else into this.

galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

1 rep of 75kg and i can do 10reps x 3-4 sets of 45kg.I weigh 95kg and went to gym for 6months about 4 years ago.I only have strength from lifting tyre/rims at work on saturdays and its in my genes as family is naturally big
Old 12-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Many moons ago, I was actualy in shape...*shock horror* Technique is 1/2 the battle. I started out at 79kg and could only bench 65kg. A few months & some advice from somone who had half a clue, I had only put on 8kg but could bench 115kg. Keep at it.

(i could prob do about 3kg now, and weigh well....in excess of 87kg :S)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
Kryton

i dont bench.........i couch.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 PM   #5
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

So for those who bench at home, what are tips on technique? I've got back on the weights in the last few months and I don't tend to worry about 3-4 sets, but do 1 or 2 sets and make each rep reasonably slow with a little more weight.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Yes Genes has a lot to do with it, I hate all you short naturally muscley endomorths, you allready have a big advantage, lol.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #7
stiddy
Banned

105kg over here. I know I can lift more, but theres no need for it 100kg is alot of weight to bench. I also do boxing aswell. Im also naturally big, 6'5 115kg both fat and bulky lol...
Depending on if you want to tone up or bulk up Death. Many reps of light weight will tone you up, or small reps of heavy weights will bulk you up.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:07 PM   #8
Geoff EL 4.0
Is Ford, Is Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Yes Genes has a lot to do with it, I hate all you short naturally muscley endomorths, you allready have a big advantage, lol.
yer they look so much bigger to lol, i put on muscle and fat easy, to bad i eat wayyy more than i work out(never...)and im 6ft 1 and have only been 16 for 4 months sooo i still got sum to grow. I should work out...but why work out a bit and be a bit lazy...i perfer to commit to one thing...laziness
Old 12-01-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

I used to do 260lbs (118kg i think) in sets of eight when i was training, i gave up 3 years ago as that mixed with physical labour at work every day was taking it's toll.

Galaxy xr8, that's a great result in one year.
IMO anyone lifting their own body weight is doing well.

Last edited by Falcon Coupe; 12-01-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

You talking 1 rep or multiple because I have no idea of my 1 rep max.

I can do a set of 10 at 100kg but I would only manage 6 or so on the next set. I dont work with a spotter so I dont usually go overboard, I normally do sets of 90kg or a couple of 42.5kg dumbells. I would imagine a 1 rep max of say 110 - 115 with a spotter.

BTW I'm 6'2" and 127kg atm (about 15kg of fat though which I am going to lose I swear lol) and pretty heavily built.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 PM   #11
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to go to a gym 15 years ago Judds body world in Townsville there was a drug free power lifter there who benched over 200kg got 2nd heavyweight champion for Australia one year he used to have a few beers down the pub before he trained .
That was a good gym they made up their own 40kg plates with handles on them real hardcore.
When you bench are you breathing properly I was shown how to breathe when you take the weight down breathe in when you push up breathe out start breathing out hard when you reach a sticking point, normally for me it was about an inch and a half of the chest.
Ive met a lot of people who dont breathe properly and shown them this technique they have all lifted more weight. The theory is that holding your breathe your using energy that you could be using to lift.
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:39 PM   #12
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

When I was going to Renaissance Gym in Midland a few years ago, I started out benching 80kg, barely getting out 6 or 7 in a row.

Ended up with a warm up set of 10 @ 80, 1 set of 10 @ 140 (3 plates per side) 1 set of 8 @ 140, then a couple of sets of 10 at 120/110.

Dropped into Simon's (Xtreme Ford tuning) house a few months back and could not get out 10 reps of 110kgs.

Gain it slow, Lose it fast!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #13
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

As I've allway's thought, in this game nutrition is your best friend, yes you need to get your form right, but I strongly believe the key lies in what you put in your mouth and how much off it, it's all trial and error, what might work for me, won't for someone else, you need to find what work's best for your body, but eat well, it is the key.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:55 PM   #14
TRRTRY

bet i can out drink you though
TRRTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 years ago while I was playing union I could bench 142kg's. Pretty big build 185cm, 138kg's.

I'd be lucky to bench half that now, did my back last year, but i reckon i could take 80 odd. Still do the dumbells though with 20kg's though.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I wont make any comments about knuckles scraping on the ground...

oh bugger, I just did
Old 13-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #17
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I wont make any comments about knuckles scraping on the ground...

oh bugger, I just did
Hehe, I prefer Aussie rules too, but the days of blokes on the field Like Plugger are over!

I got pushed into it at high school by my phys-ed teacher as I was the biggest in that year, and being union, it was physical and being able to crush smaller players and being allowed was a bonus!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 12:26 AM   #18
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would have thought mesomorphs would have been the best placed for muscle building.

Oprah is an endomorph and the only lifting she does is the fork to her mouth it appears.

Brad Pitt is an ectomorph (like me) but he's done ok for muscle. Lets me dream.

People like Sly and Arnie are your mesomorphsl big in the muscles.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #19
Duke
The Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death351
So for those who bench at home, what are tips on technique? I've got back on the weights in the last few months and I don't tend to worry about 3-4 sets, but do 1 or 2 sets and make each rep reasonably slow with a little more weight.
FWIW I bench more than body weight for at least 30 reps 3 times a week. Other days are made up of squats, deads, cleans and various single joint movements.

My advice on improving a bench -
1. Start with the bar just above the eye level by around 3" or so
2. keep heels on the ground and bring your feet back, toward your butt, as far as you can (while keeping heels on the ground)
3. Now squeeze each shoulder blade in toward the spine, sort of 'walk' or rock from side to side while getting shoulders tightly squeezed in.
4. Push or shrug your whole upper body up into your neck.

Sounds awkward but it gives you a nice solid, supported base from which to push.

Don't let the elbows go below parallel at the bottom of the movement and bring the bar to the nipple line or even lower if pushing big weight.
Bringing the bar to a higher level than the nipple line is okay when using lighter weight for higher reps to get a good stretch of the pecs to assist hypertrophy or growth.

Long answer but technique is important for saftey and for effect.
cheers

Last edited by Duke; 13-01-2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: sp
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 05:18 PM   #20
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

A six pack!
Old 13-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #21
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

I could bench 100kg when I weighed 75kg.

I can still bench 100kg but now I weigh 100kg as well so technically I have gone backwards.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 05:50 PM   #22
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
As I've allway's thought, in this game nutrition is your best friend, yes you need to get your form right, but I strongly believe the key lies in what you put in your mouth and how much off it, it's all trial and error, what might work for me, won't for someone else, you need to find what work's best for your body, but eat well, it is the key.
That's very true, there is no set formula for nutrition, just good guideines, everyone reacts differently to different types of foods, quantities and frequency of uptake.
I learnt so much about my body dieting for bodybuilding comps, what carbs worked, what carbs bloated me, which protein worked, and made some adjustments to my regular eating patterns.
Until you get this right you will make slower gains in the gym..
Oh, and bench? well yesterday i benched 115kg's for 8 reps, i don't do 1 rep max though....

Old 13-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #23
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am 112kgs and I can do a few push ups and a few chin ups so I should be able to do 112 easy
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 06:09 PM   #24
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That's very true, there is no set formula for nutrition, just good guideines, everyone reacts differently to different types of foods, quantities and frequency of uptake.
I learnt so much about my body dieting for bodybuilding comps, what carbs worked, what carbs bloated me, which protein worked, and made some adjustments to my regular eating patterns.
Until you get this right you will make slower gains in the gym..
Oh, and bench? well yesterday i benched 115kg's for 8 reps, i don't do 1 rep max though....
Yes I'm still playing around with my diet, and I think I will be for a little while yet, it takes time to get your body working the way you want it to, I don't normally do 1 rep max, I usually stick around 5 rep's as I am training for strength and size, I'm not into this glamour/bodybuilding look, where you count every calorie/fat intake, I just want some size, and to get it naturally, so I can bag out a few mates that arn't doing it naturally.
Old 13-01-2008, 06:15 PM   #25
Steffo
LPG > You

I haven't gone to the gym in almost a year (for various reasons) but when I stopped I was at 75kg bench for multiple reps. However I wouldn't say I've gone down that much due to other exercises I've been doing outside the gym to keep the strength up.

I plan on making a return soon, a serious one... so that figure should be on the rise.

One rep I could probably do 90-95 back in the day.

Bench-press was always my disproportionately weak-point compared to other exercises. Never a favourite either.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #26
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 set's of 10 rep's of 75kg ATM, only just back into it after 2 years.

I do take it fairly casual thou, normally go on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, to busy during the week and the gym is too crowded during the peek hours anyway, I just like to go and do my routine when it's not too busy.
Old 13-01-2008, 06:50 PM   #27
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I weigh around 75kg.Can do 1 rep of 95kg. Usually do 3 sets of 8 reps of 70/80kg
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 08:30 PM   #28
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 reps of 40kg, 10 reps of 60kg, 10 reps of 70kg, 8 reps of 79kg then 4 reps of 86kg (all +bar). This was my best, weighing in at a feather 63kg lol.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #29
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive been going to the gym for 6-7 months. im only benching 70. various reps over 3 sets on different days. depends on how much protein and carbs ive taken in i reckon

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2008, 09:25 PM   #30
SVTVNM
Guzzler

When I am in full form I got 108kg at a local comp at my YMCA a few months ago but have backed of a bit since, still go 2-3 times a week but not pushing to much.
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post