Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-01-2008, 08:28 PM   #1
bluovl

Default Australian Tennis Open - Ban it??

With all the criticism of how the Summernats is run lately I can help but notice there is a lack of bagging of the tennis open for the same problems.
There was violence in the crowd, cops spraying capsicum, a sexual assault of a 12 year old girl, upskirting photos, pervs chucked out, a commentator commenting on a females players backside and how good it looked. Who knows what else that happened that wasn't reported.This happened last year as well.

The silence is deafening.

Where is the Anti Discrimination Minister saying that this event is going to lead to sexual violence against women. Where are the members saying that it is an event that they wouldn't take their wives of daughters.
My comments aren't meant as inflammatory.I know what to expect at the Summernats and thats the reason I have enjoyed it for 20 years. You are into modified cars & the culture and labelled a hoon/bogan. I'm sorry its double standards.

69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute

Last edited by bluovl; 16-01-2008 at 08:35 PM.
Old 16-01-2008, 08:34 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For the amount of lovely looking women that attend the tennis, I'd say that the level of SV is pretty darn low, of course any level isn't acceptable.

What I think needs more work is the cracking down on the ethnic rivalries. If the organisers don't snuff out this growing trend, it'll end up like the soccer! That'd spoil it for everyone.

Capsicum spray at the tennis, who'd have thought?

The only capsicum at the tennis should be in the dip and crackers! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 16-01-2008, 08:58 PM   #3
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK

What I think needs more work is the cracking down on the ethnic rivalries. If the organisers don't snuff out this growing trend, it'll end up like the soccer! That'd spoil it for everyone.

GK

Yeah there's so much of that going on here all the time...
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
Old 16-01-2008, 09:19 PM   #4
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Always gonna happen when different ethnic groups clash, especially "hateful" neighbours.

What gets me is that even in the real world, they dislike eachother and yet I cant tell em apart, they sound the same and look similar, maybe thousands of years ago they may have been brothers!

The coppers did the right thing, Chants are ok, but when it is hateful, disrespefctful and ultimately unsportsman like, they should step in, preventing soccer type riots and so forth.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
Old 16-01-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ban the fanatics first.
They are the most annoying.

Kulcha at the tennis.
too good.
Old 16-01-2008, 09:33 PM   #6
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

tennis is so boring it hurts. how people could stay awake let alone have the energy to riot is beyond me

good to see ford stopped giving money to that snoozefest
Old 16-01-2008, 09:55 PM   #7
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you can draw any kind of parallel between the goings on at summernats and the isolated issue at the Tennis Open you've got far bigger things to worry about.....

Old 16-01-2008, 10:19 PM   #8
bluovl

I dont know, I love the Nats and personally have had lots of good times there.
If it disappears it leaves a hell of a gap. Look at Victoria when it used to host its own State Nationals (Eildon was the last one I remember in the eighties), Burwood, Bayside, Street Machine Show at the Exibition Bulidings every June.
Lose SpringNats with the police harassment & Summernats and it start to look grim.
I guess I'm passionate about the sport of street machining and make no apologies.
Seems you can push cops and harass young girls at the tennis open but there is no grand statement from authorities about shutting it down.
Facts dont lie.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 16-01-2008, 10:21 PM   #9
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If you can draw any kind of parallel between the goings on at summernats and the isolated issue at the Tennis Open you've got far bigger things to worry about.....
Yeh i agree. This can be said about every public event. Harden the up!!
Bionic BF XR8 - 6 speed manual, reversing sensors, premium sound, GT starter button. 218rwkw - Got to love the BOSS!!
Old 16-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluovl
I dont know, I love the Nats and personally have had lots of good times there.
If it disappears it leaves a hell of a gap. Look at Victoria when it used to host its own State Nationals (Eildon was the last one I remember in the eighties), Burwood, Bayside, Street Machine Show at the Exibition Bulidings every June.
Lose SpringNats with the police harassment & Summernats and it start to look grim.
I guess I'm passionate about the sport of street machining and make no apologies.
Seems you can push cops and harass young girls at the tennis open but there is no grand statement from authorities about shutting it down.
Facts dont lie.
All those events you mentioned were fantastic events and differed greatly from summernats for 1 very good reason... NO Alcohol fueled bogans rioting and causing problems!!!!
Sure people did drink to some degree, but the days events were over well before people got too carried away, and the focus of those shows was the CARS... not drinking.
I remember Burwood quite well, the worst thing that happened there was the occasional exit burnout onto burwood highway at the end of the event...
By the way, the isolated race riot and girl grab at the tennis has attracted far more media attention that the disgrace that summernats is did...
You should be very greatful that all the problems of summernats hasnt been played out by the media, it would pale all the other issues into insignificance..

Last edited by 4Vman; 16-01-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 16-01-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ask you to compare the number of attendees of the AUstralian Open to the Nats.

The Australian Open brings in many international tourists and such which brings a vibe to the city. Almost all of these people are well behaved.

You will find that a lot of the Greek, Croat and Serbian fans that have caused problems over the last 2 years live in Australia.

Why should the event be banned for the rest of us who go to the tennis, sit in a seat and enjoy what we paid to see...the tennis!

I'm off to a night match and damn it, I'm going to enjoy it (Thursday).

The Serbian and Croat tension is not even of our generation. Some people should shake hands and move on.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 16-01-2008, 10:46 PM   #12
bluovl

I hear you 4VMan, I'm one of the guilty party that ripped off some rubber at Bayside and after the shows at the Exhibtion Buildings onto Exibition St.
Problem I'm having is that when there is problems at 'mainstream' events like the tennis open and the cricket where there is trouble and people are turfed out for grog fuelled offence's there is no outcry. Car events are an easy target for the moral majority to want to shut down, I just dont hear it when tennis, cricket are involved.
At the same time as this years Summernats were on Nine MSN's website had a story on 400+ people involved in a fight in Sydneys Darling Harbour nightclub area.
Obviously I wasn't there and can only believe what was reported but I'm not hearing crys to shut down inner Sydney nightspots.
I just reckon that if you have a modified car event you become an easy target.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 16-01-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
boss-290

There'd be no suprise if it was Jim Courier for making the comments about the booty?
Old 16-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #14
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I hear you 4VMan, I'm one of the guilty party that ripped off some rubber at Bayside and after the shows at the Exhibtion Buildings onto Exibition St.
Problem I'm having is that when there is problems at 'mainstream' events like the tennis open and the cricket where there is trouble and people are turfed out for grog fuelled offence's there is no outcry. Car events are an easy target for the moral majority to want to shut down, I just dont hear it when tennis, cricket are involved.
At the same time as this years Summernats were on Nine MSN's website had a story on 400+ people involved in a fight in Sydneys Darling Harbour nightclub area.
Obviously I wasn't there and can only believe what was reported but I'm not hearing crys to shut down inner Sydney nightspots.
I just reckon that if you have a modified car event you become an easy target.
I haven't really seen anyone say shut down summernats, 99% of people have been saying just remove the alcohol and bogan troublemakers and properly supervise the event and let it be about the CARS!!
The same applies to tennis or cricket or soccer, remove the problem and let the event be about the SPORT.

Old 16-01-2008, 10:54 PM   #15
kremmen

Tennis is for spoilt brats.
Old 16-01-2008, 11:17 PM   #16
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
The silence is deafening. .
Pffft what has the Tennis got to do with Cars............

No one really cares about the Tennis here unless your a Girly Man....................lol

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 16-01-2008, 11:29 PM   #17
bluovl

I dont understand that response.
Facts are that there are two events, both tarred with the same accusations (violence & sexual abuse (( in the case of the tennis open, the tampering of a 12 year old girl)).
I couldn't care about tennis either and am not a "Girly Man"
Way too many people want to bag the Summernats and ignore the indescretions at 'accepted' events.

When you guys are looking for a modified car event in the next few years, sorry the moral majority have shut it down.
You should however be able to attend the tennis, cricket, golf, stamp and flower shows etc
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 16-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #18
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I haven't really seen anyone say shut down summernats, 99% of people have been saying just remove the alcohol and bogan troublemakers and properly supervise the event and let it be about the CARS!!
The same applies to tennis or cricket or soccer, remove the problem and let the event be about the SPORT.
hit the nail on the head.

nobody is wanting the nats banned, just the drunken behavior stamped out
Old 16-01-2008, 11:44 PM   #19
bluovl

Okay, lets tidy up the Summernats but if I I go to the tennis its okay to sit next to a dust up , and send the kids for a bucket of chips and get accosted.
I am not making apologies for the Summernats shortfalls but lets acknowledge that the rest of the nations big events are less than perfect.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 16-01-2008, 11:46 PM   #20
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tennis, making women's sport legitmate for over 50 years....
Old 17-01-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
bluovl

My initial post was tongue in cheek, I'm not calling for a ban on this great event.
I am just amazed that people seemingly accept the crap that happens at the tennis without comment after the recent posts about the Summernats.
69 Mustang Convertible
XA 351 Coupe
1965 Galaxie Convertible
2005 GT-P
AU XR6 Ute
Old 17-01-2008, 12:02 AM   #22
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
No one really cares about the Tennis here unless your a Girly Man....................lol
Yes nobody cares about tennis :

Old 17-01-2008, 02:18 AM   #23
DENKO
Bseries hardcore

tennis is for panzy's, however, these serb/croat/greek monkeys should be exited immedietly due to their chanting, if you wanna chant, go watch a soccer match, if you wanna fight over what happen 200 years ago, go back to your own country and start a war, we are in australia, we dont need like that here!
Old 17-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #24
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ummm the Fanatics chant and they are Aussies, so they claim.
The Swedes used to chant in the 80's.

The more culture the better.
Funny how the media called them simply Greeks and not Greek Australians, and had to find a way to relate it to football.
Old 17-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #25
goldfire

how fun would it be if changed the rules of tennis so that at any time during the match a member of the crowd could snipe a player with a stadium supplied BB gun.

kinda like Enter a raffle to be 1 of 10 ppl to shoot the players while they play, cost ya 20 to enter and donated to charity or sumfin.. i reckon that'd be pretty sweet hehe.
Old 17-01-2008, 05:26 AM   #26
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Okay, lets tidy up the Summernats but if I I go to the tennis its okay to sit next to a dust up , and send the kids for a bucket of chips and get accosted.
I am not making apologies for the Summernats shortfalls but lets acknowledge that the rest of the nations big events are less than perfect.
Who's suggesting it's acceptable at the Tennis, Cricket or any other sporting event? The morons are identified, ejected, fined and banned wherever possible.

I've given up going to Summernats because the bogan element is just too extreme now. Used to be an enjoyable period between Christmas and New Years. Last time I went a couple of years ago and had a group of females with us, you virtually had to walk around with a stick keeping men off going for the grope or yelling to see the goods. Now, it's apparently even worse!

Summernats today seems to be a lot less about the cars than it once was..
Old 17-01-2008, 08:40 AM   #27
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was at the game where the officers used the spray. There was absolutley nothing wrong with the way the crowd were acting FFS - they were chanting. Total over-reaction by the Officers involved. Old people and kids were hit with it in their eyes (And I hope they sue the crap out of the Officers). The players were disgusted by the officers action and even said so after the match. They said they had never seen anything like it before and it was totally unwarranted - can't believe these Officers are going to get away with it! (notice I keep saying Officers, as you cant put the police all in one basket).

Felt like communist Russia - "ve dont like the way you are singing, so we are going to blast capsicum spray indiscriminantly into the crowd".
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 17-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #28
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard this morning they are considering banning full strength beer at the tennis, much like they do at the one day cricket...

Old 17-01-2008, 10:58 AM   #29
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sounds good. aussies just cant handle full strength like the olden days.
Old 17-01-2008, 11:04 AM   #30
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tennis is not for spoilt brats or pansies, just like Nats is not meant to be for hoons and hooligans.

If you want your events to be shown respect, show others the same respect. Tennis is a great sport and the people that play do a lot of training to the level that your "manly" bodies possibly couldn't do in their current state.

Just trying to remain factual here.

The Australian Open brings in a lot of International flavour which is great for the city of Melbourne.

Like any problems at a major event, the media beat everything up about 10 times larger than it was because they know that the initial public perception is completely wrong, and they can distort it even further with their drivel. People like Jill Singer help that along nicely.

A-League is a good example...all these massive beat ups of "soccer riots" at the Telstra Dome. I've been to all Victory home games this year, and all minus 2 last year, and not once have I even seen a fight. I have seen far more fights at the cricket and AFL, but because soccer is viewed as a foreign culture, the media want to attach bad labels to it. 1% of people might act like goats,

The Nats is the same. A couple of people do the wrong thing and suddenly everybody is tainted by the same brush.

The problem is the media. Always has been, always will be.

Don't snap my undies.
Closed Thread