Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2005, 01:18 PM   #1
4lex
the pom

Default Pink Slip inspection requirements

G'day all,

firstly - is a pink slip the same thing as the inspection the RTA require to renew the rego?

can anyone point toward inspection guidelines for NSW so I can check the car over before I take it in?

Cheers,
Alex
4lex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 01:36 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

the guidlines are nto published, but put basically, its the same check they do when you sell a car, that the car is roadworthy, no oil leaks, brakes work, tint is not over a certain % for the cars age, tyres are good, car drives straight, the usual stuff you would pick on when buying a car.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 01:45 PM   #3
4lex
the pom

Weird. How can a person possibly contest the mechanics assessment if the rules aren't specified? Still...

My car has a problem with one rear seatbelt, failed inertia reel I think, and leaking dampers all round. Apart from that, new tyres & brakes all round, no rust or damage, tight steering etc. I guess I'll have to fix the seatbelt, but I remember squeaking through an english MOT test with leaky dampers just by cleaning them..... just how keen will they be to check them out do you reckon?

Cheers,
Alex
Old 04-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

If you're in NSW and you're getting the inspection done, I'm pretty sure you can actually download a list of requirements and safe levels etc from the RTA website. Failing that ask the inspection station where you're getting it done to show you a copy of the report before you get it done, that'll show you what they're looking for.

Generally in order to pass one you need to make sure nothing is leaking, that all your bulbs work, that your bushes are satisfactory and that your tyres are in good condition with a decent amount of tread left on them.
As for the seatbelt, get a new one on there ASAP as any damage to seatbelts, airbags or other safety systems is an instant fail and you'll be given 28 days to fix it and bring it back to show it has been fixed. Otherwise - no rego.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:53 PM   #5
EA2BA
PM me if you want

make the car as presentable as you possibly can and clean, wipe off all oil and everything possible, cross your fingers and hope for a pass, what else can you do.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)

Last edited by EA2BA; 04-05-2005 at 03:07 PM.
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 03:22 PM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Weird. How can a person possibly contest the mechanics assessment if the rules aren't specified? Still...

My car has a problem with one rear seatbelt, failed inertia reel I think, and leaking dampers all round. Apart from that, new tyres & brakes all round, no rust or damage, tight steering etc. I guess I'll have to fix the seatbelt, but I remember squeaking through an english MOT test with leaky dampers just by cleaning them..... just how keen will they be to check them out do you reckon?

Cheers,
Alex

If things aren't dripping/losing fluid at the time of them looking at it you should be right.

If the basics of your car are ok tyres, brakes, glass intact eg its in a registerable condition then you shouldn't have a prob.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 03:38 PM   #7
4lex
the pom

Cheers all. Went and had a chat with a local mechanic at lunchtime, who said "I couldn't give a fu.ck if the shockers leak, so long as they work". Makes quite a contrast to the attitude I was used to back home!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:30 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4lex
Cheers all. Went and had a chat with a local mechanic at lunchtime, who said "I couldn't give a fu.ck if the shockers leak, so long as they work". Makes quite a contrast to the attitude I was used to back home!
Hehe, makes it easier then!
Old 04-05-2005, 07:55 PM   #9
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Do make sure your brakes work, because they take the car out for a test and have to print out a report to attatch to the inspection report.

That being said, I used to be able to get the XD inspected over the phone... :
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
RED_EL_XR8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Do make sure your brakes work, because they take the car out for a test and have to print out a report to attatch to the inspection report.

That being said, I used to be able to get the XD inspected over the phone... :
Well they require a little docket from a brake tester, which of course can be from a test in any vehicle. The authorised inspector does leave himself open however, but I doubt it would be very easily proven.
RED_EL_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 08:10 PM   #11
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

The first time I watched confused as the guy took off in his own car, and left me standing there.
Then he came back and told me my brakes were perfect.
I will add that there was nothing wrong with my brakes, he just said he wasn't comfortable driving other people's cars, and he knew that mine was well looked after.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post