Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-02-2018, 12:45 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Ford North American President Steps Down for Innappropiate Behaviour.

"Ford North America president Raj Nair_main
FORD is without a head of its North American operations after its president, Raj Nair, was overnight shown the door after allegations of “inappropriate behaviour” were levelled against him.

“Ford Motor Company today announced that Raj Nair, executive vice-president and president, North America, is departing from Ford effective immediately,” the company said in a statement released this morning.

“The decision follows a recent internal investigation into reports of inappropriate behaviour. The review determined certain behaviour by Nair was inconsistent with the company’s code of conduct.”

Ford global chief executive Jim Hackett said the decision to sack Nair came after a “thorough review and careful consideration”.

“Ford is deeply committed to providing and nurturing a safe and respectful culture and we expect our leaders to fully uphold these values,” he said.

Nair offered an apology as part of the official statement. “I sincerely regret that there have been instances where I have not exhibited leadership behaviors consistent with the principles that the company and I have always espoused,” he said.

“I continue to have the utmost faith in the people of Ford Motor Company and wish them continued success in the future.”

Nair was appointed to the top job in North America in June last year, replacing Joe Hinrichs. His appointment came after Hackett shook up the company’s senior management in an effort to speed up the decision-making process at the global car-making giant, and remove some of the bureaucracy that was impeding it.

Hise executive biography on the company’s website has already noted him as a former head of the North American operations. It says Nair joined Ford as an engineer in 1987 before taking up a senior role in Europe and becoming a senior vice-president of the company’s Asia Pacific operations.

Nair was in Australia last year at the same time as Ford engineers were signing off on the Ford Ranger Raptor prototype, which he drove."
https://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/in...iate-behaviour

Last edited by csv8; 22-02-2018 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Add link.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Ford North American President Steps Down for Innappropiate Behaviour.

Not another one.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #3
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Ford North American President Steps Down for Innappropiate Behaviour.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely...

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #4
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With a name like Raj, did he ask to see someone’s bobs or vegene?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 01:17 PM   #5
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
With a name like Raj, did he ask to see someone’s bobs or vegene?
You're terrible Muriel

Old 22-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #6
leesa

To be frank I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I have a legit question for anyone willing to answer because I just don't understand this whole shamozzle.

Can anyone tell me why this actually happens? Why are there so many men (without making the men here feel attacked) that can't separate their work from their personal lives? If they kept their behaviour within the parameters required to do their job then none of this would happen but this stuff seems to be happening all over the shop?
Why? Legit question, no judgement from me, just curious to hear opinions from others as biology prevents me from ever seeing things from their perspective.

Disclaimer: yes, I'm sure there will be women out there doing it too but it appears to be in the minority so while I'm not ignoring that aspect of it, articles like these clearly suggest this is more of an issue with men than women, so if we could focus on that for the sake of this question
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 01:25 PM   #7
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
To be frank I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I have a legit question for anyone willing to answer because I just don't understand this whole shamozzle.

Can anyone tell me why this actually happens? Why are there so many men (without making the men here feel attacked) that can't separate their work from their personal lives? If they kept their behaviour within the parameters required to do their job then none of this would happen but this stuff seems to be happening all over the shop?
Why? Legit question, no judgement from me, just curious to hear opinions from others as biology prevents me from ever seeing things from their perspective.

Disclaimer: yes, I'm sure there will be women out there doing it too but it appears to be in the minority so while I'm not ignoring that aspect of it, articles like these clearly suggest this is more of an issue with men than women, so if we could focus on that for the sake of this question
Because most of us think with the wrong head.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:

Disclaimer: yes, I'm sure there will be women out there doing it to but it appears to be in the minority so while I'm not ignoring that aspect of it, articles like these clearly suggest this is more of an issue with men than women, so if we could focus on that for the sake of this question
The way I see it, there are two primary reasons.

The first and primary reason is that men as a a whole are being emasculated almost to the point of it being illegal to be a man. When men in positions of power commit acts like the ones you mention, a fair whack of the time their actions are a form of backlash against this emasculation. It doesn't justify or excuse their actions, but it is a cause.

The second reason is that positions of power (real or perceived) attract sociopathic people that don't care who they step on to get a hold of the reins. These behaviours carry into their new found positions and many times, these acts of sexual misconduct are a display of the power these people wield over their subordinates.

Old 22-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Apparently inappropriate behaviour can mean shouting at someone, so I didn't even think it might be from a sexual complaint.

According to the Don Burke story I saw.

Old 22-02-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
leesa

Quote:
Because most of us think with the wrong head.
But why? Are you saying that most men struggle to contain their behaviour or is it just that they don't want to?
Old 22-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #11
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
The first and primary reason is that men as a a whole are being emasculated almost to the point of it being illegal to be a man. When men in positions of power commit acts like the ones you mention, a fair whack of the time their actions are a form of backlash against this emasculation.

Are you able/willing to share some examples of men being emasculated that leads on to the sexual assault/inappropriate behaviour/etc accusations? I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to
Old 22-02-2018, 01:36 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Well done. It only took six posts to wander completely off topic.

No back on topic please.
Old 22-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #13
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Well done. It only took six posts to wander completely off topic.

No back on topic please.
Oh, I actually thought it WAS on-topic, my bad. There are only so many replies that can be along the lines of "oh no, another one bites the dust" without discussing closely-related stuff but okay, no problem.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #14
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Are you able/willing to share some examples of men being emasculated that leads on to the sexual assault/inappropriate behaviour/etc accusations? I'm not sure specifically what you're referring to
Lets cut through the BS and say most normal men fancy a beautiful woman and don't know where to draw the line between work and a personal life.

Barnaby Joice comes to mind. ..maybe not a good example.

Old 22-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #15
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
What were formerly male traits and behaviours are now frowned upon by society (read: hipster social justice warriors). Traits like being the head of the household and breadwinner, wisdom, being role models are (rightly or wrongly) no longer the sole purview of the male human. If anything men are admonished if they present such behaviours in certain spaces, even though there is nothing wrong with men behaving in such a manner. Strip that away and the essence of what it is to be a man (besides what's between their legs) is gone, leaving walking shells, purposeless and unfulfilled. Most put their tail between the legs and disappear into the night whereas some revolt in some way, shape or form.

The best picture I can paint isn't one of my own doing, but Hollywoods. Look at how men were portrayed in television shows prior to the mid-1980's and compare that to now.

4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Oops, sorry GasOLane, was writing while you posted.

Old 22-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also think part of the reason it’s only men who get in trouble for this stuff is because pretty much NO man will complain if a female colleague is being flirtatious with them.

However, in 2018 if a man were to say “your hair looks lovely today Susan” he has just sexually harassed her.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If a CEO had an affair with his PA, they would both be in front of HR.
Barnaby is in a similar situation, but because it's government, he gets away with it.
It's not the act that gets up my nose, but the fact she was handed high-paying roles, on a silver platter - roles that were created just for her, to cover up the situation.

People in positions of power can have a tendency to think they are above the law, and that they can get away with being rude/crude/nasty etc. Not all "cases" like this are sexual misbehaviour either - there's a lot of physical, emotional & mental abuse that goes on too.

You only have to look at workplace bullying for plenty of examples. How many people do you know who have changed jobs because of a person above them abusing their power? I've been through it with a group on the same level as me - however we stood united, and the offender was singled out by HR, and put through a "repatriation program" - none of that excuses what he did, as he made a personal choice to behave that way when he took on that role.

Most people affected by it simply don't stand up, for fear of losing the job. They suffer in silence because they can't afford to be out of work, and this makes the offenders even more powerful, as they see the results of the oppression.

We're seeing more of it coming to light now, thanks to the "me too" style campaigns, where people feel empowered enough to stand up to it and finally say no.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #19
lari1eye

Really, at least the sack has come before the media had the chance to make an ongoing farce of it.
A "thorough review and careful consideration" leaves us all wondering what has happened.
Barnaby's affair followed an example set 9 years ago by possibly the future PM...........Old News....

......Bill Shorten and Chloe Bryce G-G's girl expecting a child

By Glenn Milne, The Sunday Telegraph
............July 18, 2009 ...8:37pm

LABOR MP Bill Shorten has confirmed he is expecting his first child with girlfriend Chloe Bryce, the daughter of Governor-General Quentin Bryce, as both battle messy divorces with their previous partners.

Mr Shorten, 42, who is sometimes touted as a potential future prime minister, told The Sunday Telegraph the baby was due in early January.

Contacted for her reaction, Mr Shorten's estranged wife Debbie Beale said "you're tempting me'' before declining to make any further comment.

Friends, however, say Ms Beale has made the observation that it is "interesting Mr Shorten and Ms Bryce are expecting a baby ....while both of them remain married to other people''......

Mr Shorten said although it was obviously a happy event he was not prepared to make any further comment.

Mr Shorten, a former national secretary of the Australian Workers' Union, became the face of the 2006 Beaconsfield mine disaster, before entering Parliament at the 2007 election.

The now Parliamentary Secretary for Disabilities left his wife for the daughter of Kevin Rudd's newly appointed Governor-General, Quentin Bryce, around August last year.
lari1eye is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
The way I see it, there are two primary reasons.

The first and primary reason is that men as a a whole are being emasculated almost to the point of it being illegal to be a man. When men in positions of power commit acts like the ones you mention, a fair whack of the time their actions are a form of backlash against this emasculation. It doesn't justify or excuse their actions, but it is a cause.

The second reason is that positions of power (real or perceived) attract sociopathic people that don't care who they step on to get a hold of the reins. These behaviours carry into their new found positions and many times, these acts of sexual misconduct are a display of the power these people wield over their subordinates.
Your 2nd paragraph hit the nail on the head where I worked.
Television was notorious for its "casting couch" mentality.

Some of the things that went on made me want to spew and it really was psychopathic.
Unfortunately there are lots of girls seeking fame and will submit to almost anything.

That's half the problem. It always takes two to tango.
While the males deserve to be outed, women need to take responsibility as well. How many b00bs are on display on the red carpet for example? But don't look at them!

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #21
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Looks like he's been #metoo'd.

But it could be for a number of reasons. Bullying, racial slurs etc.

I reckon he would have been a future ceo too, so it's a big loss for the company.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #22
Sioso
irregular member

Quote:
However, in 2018 if a man were to say “your hair looks lovely today Susan” he has just sexually harassed her.
Especially if he says it while she isn't wearing any pants.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #23
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sioso View Post
Especially if he says it while she isn't wearing any pants.
...or the office midget commenting that her hair smells great.
Old 22-02-2018, 05:37 PM   #24
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
...or the office midget commenting that her hair smells great.
He got the sack for poking his nose into everyone's business.

My wife works for a large, family owned business that has just sold to a US company. The current operation is run by men and from she tells me it is still 1978 there. Swearing, demeaning behaviour toward less senior staff is typical. A senior co-worker of hers has just left, the wife is given 75% of his job with no additional pay and no additional hours to compensate.

She is scared of management and won't challenge them. She just goes around quietly getting it all done. Like she always has.

I reckon they have 75% of the responsibility here because they try it on, she has 25% because she won't challenge it.

People will behave the way they have in the past and in the way their peer group does until it all blows up and the real world intrudes.

Then it all starts again.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #25
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Looks like he's been #metoo'd.

But it could be for a number of reasons. Bullying, racial slurs etc.

I reckon he would have been a future ceo too, so it's a big loss for the company.
Couldnt agree more, instantly its a sexual misconduct thing. It could be a myriad of reasons but people seem. I feel if it wasnt for him we wouldnt have had cars like the Focus RS and Ford GT.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 06:47 PM   #26
bigwil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Apparently inappropriate behaviour can mean shouting at someone, so I didn't even think it might be from a sexual complaint.

According to the Don Burke story I saw.
I used to watch Don Burke, and now im wandering what he meant by "after the add break im going to show you the best way to trim your bush"
bigwil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2018, 07:13 PM   #27
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

I fail to understand why we are interested in the private behaviour of others when it does not affect us.

Who cares who is bonking whom, it is a private matter.

And why is there always a call for someone to apologise, but they never quite say to whom the apology should be given?

It seems we now get upset because some unnamed person or group may be offended.

And who decided that humour is now an offensive weapon?

Make a joke and there are calls for even more apologies.

People need to chill out and to stop thinking they are so precious.

I recall that Denis Thatcher (you know the husband of the Iron Lady - PM of Great Britain) was being interviewed by a pack of journalists.

One reporter asked, "Who wears the pants in your family, Denis?"

Without hesitation, Denis answered, "I do. And I wash and iron them too."

After that Denis could be seen laughing with the journalists over drinks.

How different would it have been if he was offended and called for an apology, or indeed for the journalist to be sacked?
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #28
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
I also think part of the reason it’s only men who get in trouble for this stuff is because pretty much NO man will complain if a female colleague is being flirtatious with them.

I tend to agree. It's pretty incredible the meaning "sexual assault" has taken on recently. Not to assume that Raj has been accused of such things, but it's a sign of the era when it's the default talking point every time someone is dismissed.

I like to think that Raj got into an old fashioned fist fight with Debbie from accounting for bargaining too hard on pulling cost out of the upcoming V10 rear drive saloon that Ford are developing exclusively for the Australian market.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #29
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Inappropriate behaviour' simple definition :
If a bloke chats up a woman ....... sexual harassment.
If a woman chats up a bloke ........he gets lucky.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2018, 08:39 PM   #30
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford North American President Steps Down for Inappropriate Behavior....

and so he should.....
anyone who signs off on putting a 2.0lt diesel in a Raptor should be immediately dismissed.
CyberWasp is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post