Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-01-2006, 08:13 PM   #1
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Busted hoist.

Call into work today (on sick leave with hand injury) had a chat with mate who works in bay next to mine & I notice a cable lying on the ground, so I look up & see the hoist cable broken. I asked what happened, he said it snapped when lifting a Territory. The hoist would only be about 5 yrs old, the cable on my hoist was replaced at the start of the month because it was 10 yrs old. Supposed to be a common thing with this brand of hoist, not sure if I should name the brand. Anyone on here ever experienced a cable breaking on a hoist?

AUXRVIII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #2
FordFan86
meow

Depends on the hoist type. 4 poster or 2?
I'd ask why the hell was a territory being lifted on a 2 poster if that is the case. Not sure on the weight but it is a big car and should be on a 4 poster.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

exactly we do all the 4 wheel drives on the 4 poster

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:28 PM   #4
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a 4 tonne 2 post hoist. We have only 1 of this particular brand of hoist, it was put in so we could lift F series with it,the rest are molnar 2 post 3 tonne hoists. There is no problem with stability lifting heavy vehicles with 2 post hoists.
Old 24-01-2006, 08:33 PM   #5
Psycho Chicken
Banned

You should come to my work mate. Our 4 poster has a scissor jacks that have a dodgy safety lock. One hoist never sits straight, although the controls have behaved themselves for a few months now. Another has the safety release cable fowling on the control wires!

All noted on hoist reports, never fixed. Quality.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
FordFan86
meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
It's a 4 tonne 2 post hoist. We have only 1 of this particular brand of hoist, it was put in so we could lift F series with it,the rest are molnar 2 post 3 tonne hoists. There is no problem with stability lifting heavy vehicles with 2 post hoists.
There's the problem, it was lifted on a 2 post hoist. I wouldn't care if it was ratet at 10 ton. 4wd's and other large vehicles belong on a 4 post. Weight distirbution is a large factor.
lets say it ways in at 3 ton. On a 2 poist hoist rated at 4 ton, that's 1.5ton at each end with room to spare. On a 4 post hoist that's only 750kg at each end with plenty of safety zone. Which would you rather? Quick easy job with risk, or do it right the first time and not have to worry.
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 08:51 PM   #7
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordFan86
There's the problem, it was lifted on a 2 post hoist. I wouldn't care if it was ratet at 10 ton. 4wd's and other large vehicles belong on a 4 post. Weight distirbution is a large factor.
lets say it ways in at 3 ton. On a 2 poist hoist rated at 4 ton, that's 1.5ton at each end with room to spare. On a 4 post hoist that's only 750kg at each end with plenty of safety zone. Which would you rather? Quick easy job with risk, or do it right the first time and not have to worry.
That's exactly why the cables have to be replaced every 10 years. Our hoists are serviced & inspected every 12 months by the same person who also installs hoists. I've had many conversations with him regarding different hoists & his opinion is not very high on this particular brand. Due to the cable breaking the hoist will be repaired, sold & a molnar will be replacing it. We also have a 4 tonne 4 post hoist which is mostly used for F series, the 2 post very rarely had a F series on it.
BTW a Territory doesn't weigh much more than a Fairlane.

Last edited by AUXRVIII; 24-01-2006 at 08:58 PM.
Old 24-01-2006, 08:55 PM   #8
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
You should come to my work mate. Our 4 poster has a scissor jacks that have a dodgy safety lock. One hoist never sits straight, although the controls have behaved themselves for a few months now. Another has the safety release cable fowling on the control wires!

All noted on hoist reports, never fixed. Quality.
Yeah we used to have a 4 poster where the safety didn't work, people used to drive off the side of it damaging the linkages, it aslo sat crooked, it eventually got replaced.
Old 24-01-2006, 09:49 PM   #9
scotty_d

Scared myself the other day when lowering a magna on a two poster, safety lock didn't disengage on the other side which ment the drivers side of the car was about 2 feet lower than the passengers, car almost dropped on it's doors. It was my fault but I should of been watching the hoist more closely as it's been known to do it before. We always tell the hoist repairman about it and he never fixes it or the other hoists which most have their little problems. He came the other day looked at the hoists for 10 minutes then went and washed his truck in the washbay without asking and left.

Does a Hoist repairman need a trade or any qualifications to work on hoists? Is the profession regulated in anyway or can any Joe Blow with enough knowlege about the basic working of hoists service them?
I'm just wondering because I'm one of the guys standing underneath them all day.

Cheers Scott
scotty_d is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 09:56 PM   #10
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Mate you have to be Certified to work on any type of lifting equipment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 10:13 PM   #11
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Mate you have to be Certified to work on any type of lifting equipment.
Certified it has a double meaning "But it does sound like the lift repaiman needs to be certified" :
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2006, 10:17 PM   #12
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

OK you have to be a recognised and certified..
Any better
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 10:30 PM   #13
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

I have a 4 tonne 2 poster and also a 4 tonne 4 poster.

I use the 2 poster 99% of the time for servicing, even 4wds. It is totally safe if the car is lifted correctly.

All hoists should be fitted with safety locks in the case of a cablke or hydraulic failure.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 10:40 PM   #14
AUXRVIII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I assume no one here has had or knows of a hoist cable breaking?
Old 25-01-2006, 10:44 PM   #15
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Legally, If you think your safety is at risk at work you can effectively go 'on strike' until the problem is fixed, speak to a union rep or OH&S officer for more info.

I certainly wouldnt be working if there were dodgy hoists in a workshop.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #16
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXRVIII
So I assume no one here has had or knows of a hoist cable breaking?
Where I used to work, they purchased a second hand 4 poster, they had it for a while and it passed all inspections and worked ok, Then 1 day one of the techs had just finished inspecting a car, he raised the car slightly from the near full working height, to release the locks, as he released the locks it snapped a cable.

The hoist bed and the car fell straight to the ground, the car bounced up probably 4 foot high and crashed back down again. the car was written off, it kinked the body, the hoist was repaireable, but got replaced, the tech, well he was pretty white for a long time.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2006, 12:36 AM   #17
apolloxbgt
cross breeder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
the tech, well he was pretty white for a long time.
With a lovely shade of brown I would imagine.