Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #1
4dlvr
4dlvr

Default Starting car that has been sitting for 6 years

Hi All,

I have a 1996 Fairmont ef which I have heavily worked. It has been sitting in the garage and not been started for 6 years now. I'm at a stage where I want to start to enjoy driving it again. My question is in relation to getting it started safely.

At current, here is the list of servicing I think is required before starting. If you have any suggestions or experience doing a similar thing please feel free to suggest ideas.

- Funnel out fuel and add in new fuel
- Replace fuel filter
- Replace engine oil and filter (ideally I will remove the rocker cover and pour new oil all over the head and rocker gear when refilling oil to ensure good lubrication)
- Change spark plugs and spray oil to coat cylinder walls
- Replace & Flush coolant
- Replace brake fluid and bleed brakes
- New battery
- I'd like to turn over the engine by hand before cranking over, but not sure if this is possible whilst it is in the vehicle already?

The vehicle is in perfect condition so I want to be on the safe side and not cause any further damage. If you have any suggestions or recommendations I'd appreciate hearing them.

I'll be sure to post the first start video here once I get to that point.

Cheers,
Paul
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 01:58 PM   #2
superyob
Banned

Default Re: Starting car that has been sitting for 6 years

Remove spark plugs and hit the starter. After oil change of course. Remove fuel pump fuse as well. Engine will then be well lubricated before you fire it up. You should be able to turn the engine over by hand...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-05-2020, 02:12 PM   #3
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Check operation of coolant thermostat(In hot water) or replace. They have a nasty habit of sticking closed over many years of sitting idle.
Old 13-05-2020, 01:46 PM   #4
zilo
BANNED

6 years isn't that long fuel will be your biggest potential headache.
I wouldnt take off rockers etc unless you just enjoy changing gaskets and stuff.

Just disconnect the ignition and crank it over for a while I reckon, that should get the oil splashed around.

What about the auto trans?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #5
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Flush radiator as sediment settles to bottom
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 02:59 PM   #6
4dlvr
4dlvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
6 years isn't that long fuel will be your biggest potential headache.
I wouldnt take off rockers etc unless you just enjoy changing gaskets and stuff.

Just disconnect the ignition and crank it over for a while I reckon, that should get the oil splashed around.

What about the auto trans?

Thanks zilo, when disconnecting the ignition to crank the motor, do I just pull the leads off the spark plugs? or do I need to pull the leads off the coil pack?

Trans oil is fine, I spoke to the auto builder and given how little it was driven before the c10 went in, he is not concerned. Will definitely be replacing the oil before i do any serious driving with it.
4dlvr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2020, 04:33 PM   #7
mick taylor
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dlvr View Post
Thanks zilo, when disconnecting the ignition to crank the motor, do I just pull the leads off the spark plugs? or do I need to pull the leads off the coil pack?

Trans oil is fine, I spoke to the auto builder and given how little it was driven before the c10 went in, he is not concerned. Will definitely be replacing the oil before i do any serious driving with it.
If you turn it over with the plugs out you will destroy the coil packs, I thought.
Just drain the oil as water will most likely of built up from due, top it up and fire it up, the oil gets going fast as you could blink.
Oil is still everywhere on the crank, soon as you fire it up it will start splashing the oil from the rods to the pistons.

One of the main problems that I have seen with engines that have been sitting for a long time is if the oil was old say 5.000 to 10.000kmh before it was shut down the contamination of water and fuel can start rust forming on the crank, with clean oil or say 1.000km up such will be fine as it does not have all the contamination.
mick taylor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 04:44 PM   #8
MercuryT
Banned

I doubt it would need anywhere near that amount of work/parts before starting?

It's 6 years not 60!! ha

Fresh oil and plugs is all I'd do and then replace if issues become apparent.

Up to you though - nice build btw.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #9
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bridge starter switch wire (red/blue) to power or bridge starter relay contacts (30 & 87) with ignition off
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2020, 09:29 PM   #10
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Really there are probably lots of cars that have sat for years without being started.I would drain the fuel tank,and refill,pull the fuel pump fuse so it can’t start and wind it over on the starter for 30 seconds,then refit the fuel fuse and fire it up.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-05-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I agree with several of the comments. Cars aren't that fragile, get it running with new fuel and then see if issues arise. My guess is they won't
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2020, 09:39 AM   #12
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
Bridge starter switch wire (red/blue) to power or bridge starter relay contacts (30 & 87) with ignition off
That too...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #13
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In 2020 I thought the fist thing you did was create a You Tube channel....
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: