Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #1
nosajknight
Starter Motor

Default Au maitenance query

Hi all. My partner has an AU fairmont and we are about to go on a trip. Now as silly as this sounds, I cannot find the dipstick for the auto trans fluid?????? Can anyone help with the location of this or am I just going mad????? (Be Nice!)

Cheers, Jason

nosajknight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

There isnt one. You arent mad, they removed the dipstick after the EF, because of idiots pouring dextron 3 down it instead of TQF95.

If you keep the transmission serviced and its operating well, well it should be just fine. Ford say that it is a sealed unit now, but if you have any serious dobuts you might want to get the transmission serviced it isnt very dear.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:07 PM   #3
macca13

Au's don't have a dipstick to check tranny oil level they are checked by a plug on the side of the box like a manual.
macca13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:11 PM   #4
Rangas GTP

Yep no dip stick. 16mm plug on drivers side of gearbox, check level when car running and in park. Some transmission shops drill and fit dipstick for the lazy.
Rangas GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how often should the auto fluid get changed? my 2002 coon is up to 170k and i don't know that it has been changed (not by me in 3 years and nearly 100k anyway)
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #6
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when i got my full flush and service, the mechanic told me it would be good for another 50k, the car is on 147k and while everything was running fine, from the looks of the oil, it had never been done before. my full service cost 200 neat, and id recomend you get it done to be on the safe side.
bloggs24 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2008, 08:40 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

There is one, its on the side of the gearbox so you'll have to jack up the car and get right underneath the gearbox, keep looking till you find it.

:
Old 16-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Used to service the auto every 30-40,000km ... a lot cheaper than a replacement/rebuild. I had to get a rebuilt one anyway as the previous owner never serviced it. After the rebuild went it .. i was religiously serviced (even though it got worked hard and carried a lot of load) ... was still like new 130,000km later on the rebuild (mind you I had strengthened internals put in it).

I advise notdoing more than 50,000km between auto services ... preferrably less actually.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the 'auto service' that everyone is talking about, is that just change the auto trans fluid? or something more indepth?
sneaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 08:38 AM   #10
whiskers
gone fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneakypete23
the 'auto service' that everyone is talking about, is that just change the auto trans fluid? or something more indepth?
change oil and filter is what they are talking about. if you want to try this yourself there is a "how to guide" on here some where just do a search
Old 17-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #11
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

not sure when my gearbox was last serviced... but its whining in D on take off and when i take my foot off the accelerator...

Click Here
MrXr6Tickford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 01:58 PM   #12
Foggy

I would suggest if it is starting to whine take it in to shop and get a power flush done as well as a service. By doing that they will change out all the trans fluid.
Foggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #13
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

sweet cheers mate.

Any idea on how much that should cost?

Click Here
Old 17-09-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

i get a whine in 1st gear also. was told by transmission place that planetary gearing is starting to wear. common problem in au's apparently.

i do trans service every 25,000km. just out of habit. overkill i know. :P

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #15
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
i get a whine in 1st gear also. was told by transmission place that planetary gearing is starting to wear. common problem in au's apparently.

i do trans service every 25,000km. just out of habit. overkill i know. :P
would this get covered under warrenty?

Click Here
Old 17-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXr6Tickford
would this get covered under warrenty?
only if the trans breaks down. its still running, but is a bit noisey thats all. its usually up to the discretion of the dealer to fix it, if he wants to. but dont count on that happening.

replace it when it gets too noisey to bear.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-09-2008, 03:37 PM   #17
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

well its fairly noisey as it is now... but i took it to the transmission place that ford contract to look after there diff's and gearbox's and the guy said it was a common problem in the gearbox..

But didnt think it needed fixing straight away as it was first thought that it was a diff problem but was then dignoised as a gearbox problem.

Its fairly noisey now.. and sometimes it can have a slight pause before it goes into gear...

But i dont think ford will honor it.. as it was hard enough to try tell them there was a problem to begin with... they first said it was my exhaust :togo:

Click Here
Old 17-09-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
well its fairly noisey as it is now... but i took it to the transmission place that ford contract to look after there diff's and gearbox's and the guy said it was a common problem in the gearbox..

But didnt think it needed fixing straight away as it was first thought that it was a diff problem but was then dignoised as a gearbox problem.

Its fairly noisey now.. and sometimes it can have a slight pause before it goes into gear...

But i dont think ford will honor it.. as it was hard enough to try tell them there was a problem to begin with... they first said it was my exhaust :togo:
well thats a typical response from a dealership. They most likely wont honor the warranty of the gearbox. It will most likely come out of your pocket. If you are wanting to get the planetary gear replaced I'd suggest calling a few transmission places and getting quotes to do the job. While the gearbox is out, you could look at getting a few other parts strengthened and some seals replaced if funds permit. Its just a suggestion for piece of mind. Not totally necessary but worth asking for.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 17-09-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
MrXr6Tickford
AU Club Mod

Do you think what Foggy sugguested could stop the whine in the gearbox? Ino it may not last for ever.. but i will look at getting it rebuilt in the not to distant future

Click Here
Old 17-09-2008, 06:07 PM   #20
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Do you think what Foggy sugguested could stop the whine in the gearbox? Ino it may not last for ever.. but i will look at getting it rebuilt in the not to distant future
It couldnt hurt, plus it will be far cheaper if the flush ends up stopping the noise, even for a few months.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 18-09-2008, 11:06 AM   #21
iwannaford

Nice thread, plenty of useful information, I have a question if those who are knowledgeable to answer, I had taken my 02 AU 6Cly Auto Falcon to my mechanic Tuesday, as I am travelling out of town this weekend short notice, and I haven't the time to conduct the work myself, but I had him do a seal kit and change the transmission oil, as well as the diff oil based on his recommendation that it smelt burnt. Also he replaced the extensions housing seal as per my request, now when I drive, its an intermittent fault, changing from second to third, the engine revs up like a blip, and takes a half a second to change into 3rd, its not a big issue, but prior to having a service it never did this before, I mean ever. Any ideas?
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #22
artemics
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannaford
Nice thread, plenty of useful information, I have a question if those who are knowledgeable to answer, I had taken my 02 AU 6Cly Auto Falcon to my mechanic Tuesday, as I am travelling out of town this weekend short notice, and I haven't the time to conduct the work myself, but I had him do a seal kit and change the transmission oil, as well as the diff oil based on his recommendation that it smelt burnt. Also he replaced the extensions housing seal as per my request, now when I drive, its an intermittent fault, changing from second to third, the engine revs up like a blip, and takes a half a second to change into 3rd, its not a big issue, but prior to having a service it never did this before, I mean ever. Any ideas?

I had something similar happen of late and it wasn't good news for me - ended up getting a reconditioned box put in.
It upset me quite a bit to spend $500 being a good kid getting a service done (full flush + a seal or two) to find that when i got it back it was a complete dog with similar symptoms to yours (over rev and delay on gear change).

The final diagnosis was worn clutch plates and my guessnosis was that playing around with the bits inside the transmission ruined the state of equilibrium that had existed with all the original bits dying together in harmony.
artemics is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #23
iwannaford

A four letter word comes to mind, okay, the car should be okay for a little while you reckon? It still works fine, just second to third I can afford to spend the money on getting something done, but tommorow is Friday, and I am leaving Sat'd
iwannaford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post