Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-11-2009, 10:27 PM   #1
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Go slow on the Newell Hwy

Looks like office boys in the RTA have struck another blow for sanity.

As of the 1st of Dec the speed limit on the Newell Hwy (NSW) will be cut from 110kmh to 100kmh (despite the fact that it seems to be only the RTA who thinks this is a good idea!).http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2....htm?site=news

So if your planning on using it during the school holidays look forward to getting bored stupid for longer, getting tired quicker and spending more time on the road!

Old 08-11-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane

As of the 1st of Dec the speed limit on the Newell Hwy (NSW) will be cut from 110kmh to 100kmh (despite the fact that it seems to be only the RTA who thinks this is a good idea!).http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2....htm?site=news

So if your planning on using it during the school holidays look forward to getting bored stupid for longer, getting tired quicker and spending more time on the road!
To be honest, its about time they have done this, the condition of the road, especially between Narrabri and Goondiwindi, is very ordinary at the best of times, with the type of Bitumen they have used it just melts and with semi's going over it all day long, it forms large divets in the road, being i used to live in Moree getting caught in this divets could cause an accident.

If they built the road properly in the first place, all would be fine.
Copie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 PM   #3
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copie
To be honest, its about time they have done this, the condition of the road, especially between Narrabri and Goondiwindi, is very ordinary at the best of times, with the type of Bitumen they have used it just melts and with semi's going over it all day long, it forms large divets in the road, being i used to live in Moree getting caught in this divets could cause an accident.

If they built the road properly in the first place, all would be fine.
I do not disagree with the road condition itself in that area, as i too am from Moree and frequently travelled back to Narrabri nearly weekly...

But i disagree with slowing it down... keep the trucks at 100km/h and the passenger vehicles at 110km/h... gives us cars more of a chance to not get caught behind 4×B-doubles in a line...
Old 08-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoSR
I do not disagree with the road condition itself in that area, as i too am from Moree and frequently travelled back to Narrabri nearly weekly...

But i disagree with slowing it down... keep the trucks at 100km/h and the passenger vehicles at 110km/h... gives us cars more of a chance to not get caught behind 4×B-doubles in a line...
Luckily, the majority of the stretches of road you can see for a good couple of k's down the road making overtaking a breeze : Boot down and fly past them.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:57 PM   #5
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Amazing that they reduce speeds when a committee suggests it, but when they suggest an increase o freeway speeds it falls on deaf ears.

Also December 1st start date, just in time for holiday season.
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
To be honest, its about time they have done this, the condition of the road, especially between Narrabri and Goondiwindi, is very ordinary at the best of times
Ok if your only going between these two places but from the Vic border to Qld C'mon!!
Quote:
Luckily, the majority of the stretches of road you can see for a good couple of k's down the road making overtaking a breeze : Boot down and fly past them.
And get booked?....good move!
Old 08-11-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
but the RTA says research shows it is an effective way to reduce the road toll.
hope that $30mil was spent well..... how about rather than comparing who has the bigger appendage (RTA and whoever the hell else wants to make a statement) you actually MAKE the roads safer, reduce maintainence on the roads by building it properly in the first place, provide stopping points in between and allow for more overtaking to allow flow of traffic not a matter of who has the bigger engine to overtake the convo of semi's and let the rest just build up and risk more lives doing unnecessary manuvers

reducing speed ALONE does NOT reduce the road toll and its a poor excuse if anything to think they are doing anything if something about it.....

Quote:
Sixty-nine people have been killed on the highway in the past five years.
and they now decide to do something? this BS makes me so mad , its comes down to price before the cost of someones life

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 11:22 PM   #8
rodderz

As long as they show some commons sense to those passing- as motoring experts have said best to pass quicker at 110-115 than take your time at the speed limit and it be more dangerous. The amount of grey nomads and trucks that go up there if you're in a car passing happens quite often. Roads don't seem bad on the majority of it?
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:

I live in W.A and mate it isn't that bigger deal. Woopdee doo, you will spend an extra 20 mins if you travel 400km. If the road quality is ****, then wouldn't you want to spend an extra 20mins travelling than potentially crash? Before anyone says it that extra 10k's does make a difference. It takes us 100m in perfect conditions to bring the ambulance to a halt at 100kp/h. Do it at 90 and it takes 85m.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 11:30 PM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
you will spend an extra 20 mins if you travel 400km.
Close....but no cigar.

400k's@ 110kmh = 3hrs 20mins

400k's@ 100kmh = 4hrs

40mins difference.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM   #11
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Well funny how we have been doing advanced training for ambo's and the figures there state 22mins. Also don't take my comment the wrong way, not having a go. Stupid internet. :

Either way even if they were wrong about times my comment still stands about road conditions. If they are bad I would rather travel slowly. I will drive the Ambo at 90kph on a priority 1 even if the limit is 110kph if I consider the road to be crap.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #12
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
Well funny how we have been doing advanced training for ambo's and the figures there state 22mins. Also don't take my comment the wrong way, not having a go. Stupid internet. :

Either way even if they were wrong about times my comment still stands about road conditions. If they are bad I would rather travel slowly. I will drive the Ambo at 90kph on a priority 1 even if the limit is 110kph if I consider the road to be crap.
Whoops..on a recount I concede defeat...

Most of the Newell is pretty good (by NSW standards anyway) But more people are going to get bored and bump into Trees/Trucks/Caravans etc.

To see just how many people, organisations and towns think this is a bad idea Google 'Newell highway speed limit'.
Old 13-11-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Given that fatigue is the major factor amongst casualties on the Newell this makes no sense at all to me.

A trip to Dubbo on a Friday night after a days work will now take me almost half an hour longer. As it is, I often begin to feel the signs of fatigue with about half an hour to go and now it looks like they will start with an hour to go. So now I'm probably going to travel to Dubbo less and take more back roads where there is less traffic and no wallopers.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 11:53 AM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Ah bloody hell, props to the RTA for making a gay piece of road even gayer.

Thanks fellas.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 12:50 PM   #15
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Close....but no cigar.

400k's@ 100kmh = 4hrs

40mins difference.
thats just 400k's
the newell is around 900k in nsw.

a lot of time to nod while driving
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 01:01 PM   #16
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Close....but no cigar.

400k's@ 100kmh = 4hrs

40mins difference.
Close....but no cigar.

400 kilometeres @ 120 km/h = 3hrs 20mins
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
kocho
The Futuriser

If peoples maths on here are as sharp as their driving, we're in a bit of a pickle!

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #18
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

been to qld from vic up the newell plenty of time, the road is good enough for 110, just these rta getting ideas from victorian bubble rappers, not that it(new speed limit) means anything to me, i still travel above the speed limit as i belive in 'moderate speed' ;)

oh noez, 5kph over, shoot me in the head...sigh.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #19
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
thats just 400k's
the newell is around 900k in nsw.

a lot of time to nod while driving
I know how long the Newell is (I drive a fair bit of it every day), I was referring to post 9.
Old 14-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #20
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Oh joy.. Yet another stupid 'nanny state' decision from the people who seem to think they know what's best for everyone! How about we all just stop driving cars and just walk everywhere, or we could just stay at home and wait to die..? Seems to be going that way these days. Can't do anything without someone out there telling us what's best for us!

NSW is one of the most annoying states to drive in. They seem to change their speed zones so many times on a highway it's ridiculous. The speed limits just keep going down down down. Don't get me started on 50km/h zones through towns on major highways like the Pacific Hwy. :
Unfortunately for us Queenslanders, we probably won't be far behind, as anything NSW does these days, stupid 'Captain Blight' oops, Bligh seems to copy! :

: over
Old 14-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #21
dogfish

Well what about the Northern Territory we used to have no Speed limit then 130kph.
Now more people are getting turned into street pizza friends and I believe its you used to be able to sit on 100 and not feel pressured if you couldn't drive at speed but now these people have to do 130 and maybe its outside their driving capabilities and people sit up there backside full of road rage going come on peanut the speed limits 130 not a 100.
It gave you an opportunity to drive at speeds the operator of the vehicle felt comfortable.
For Example:
My Stepfather used to do 95 down through the centre that's embarrassing but hey no speed limit do what speed you want and it doesn't always mean excessive.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #22
Terraplainin'

Now, if I was a politician or a senior bureaucrat, I would say that this crash can be directly related to the increase in fatigue caused by the lowering of the speed limit... After all, statistics don't lie, do they?

Good thing I’m not, so I won’t suggest such a thing. However, I wonder how many must die before the RTA realise the error of their ways. Driving this road a few times a year myself, I fervently hope that I’m not one of them.

As an aside, the ignorance in this document is breathtaking. Keep Left, you have a big task ahead of you if you want to inject some sanity into this organisation.

Last edited by Terraplainin'; 06-01-2010 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Missed the part of the reason...
Terraplainin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
Falcon_Crazy
PX3 WildTrak & RTV

Yep..what happened when QLD raised outvack limits from 100km/h to 110km/h? Reduction in fatigue related crashes. The Hune "freeway" is limited to 110km/h despite it being designe din the 80's for 130km/h rear disc brakes were an option.

Fatigue is a MASSIVE killer. being able to average 8-10km/h over a 10 hour drive makes a big difference. If conditions prevail, and god knows, drivers should recognise them, there should be a big review of the set limits.

I'd love to see more variable speed signs along highways and freeways...

Ive had people sleep into my lane..ive been lucky to see them coming on the newell, sturt, stuart and New England and take action....I know when i drive on highways, as soon as i feel too tired - long time dead
BA Falcon RTV - Project Ute 265,000km
Sold PXII Ranger XLT Cool White. 105,000
Sold PX Ranger XLT in cool white, 151,700km on clock.
Sold FGII XR6T Ute LTD Edition in Kinetic.
Sold FG XR6 Ute
Sold BA Falcon RTV. 251,300km.Was a great mate for last 7 years

Sold AUII XLS Ute
Sold '85 XF & Crashed 84 XF
Falcon_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #24
CPOCSM

The decision isnt my fave one as I come up that way all the time. I just plod along and sit a little above 100kph and havent been pinged - as long as you arent ripping down the Newell(like our semi cousins at well over 100kph) there isnt an issue. Overtaking I am going to go a bit over to get around the trucks and the grey nomads but prefer to do that rather than put up with their constant 80-100kph speed range.

Good to see Constable Plod adhereing to the speed limit - was 40km shy of Gilgandra and doing 100kph when a marked car and a bike were just ripping up behind me, overtook and kept on going with no sirens or lights...good to see the message of speeding is getting out there - "do as I say, not as I do!!"

At the end of the day the Newell is a fairly good piece of road. When you hit Goondiwindi though, the Gore Hwy is now 110kph all the way too the outskirts of Milmerran. Good to see the roads have been improved too...

Hooroo
CPOCSM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 12:05 AM   #25
Copie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPOCSM
The decision isnt my fave one as I come up that way all the time. I just plod along and sit a little above 100kph and havent been pinged - as long as you arent ripping down the Newell(like our semi cousins at well over 100kph) there isnt an issue. Overtaking I am going to go a bit over to get around the trucks and the grey nomads but prefer to do that rather than put up with their constant 80-100kph speed range.

Good to see Constable Plod adhereing to the speed limit - was 40km shy of Gilgandra and doing 100kph when a marked car and a bike were just ripping up behind me, overtook and kept on going with no sirens or lights...good to see the message of speeding is getting out there - "do as I say, not as I do!!"

At the end of the day the Newell is a fairly good piece of road. When you hit Goondiwindi though, the Gore Hwy is now 110kph all the way too the outskirts of Milmerran. Good to see the roads have been improved too...

Hooroo
The Gore HWY has always been 110 along there, ever since i was a young tacker.

And also people saying they are doing 100kph, have you checked how accurate your speedo is? in the previous car when it read 100kph, i was actually doing 92kph.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:20 AM   #26
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

yup, clearly a road that must be slowed down.

I personaly sat on 130 from NSW border till i got into tamworth then took the new englind highway up, there IS NO reason for that road to drop back to 100, you have no Idea how IDIOTIC it is. and clearly it dosent stop people falling asleep at the wheel.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225816385431

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
UNR8D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 04:14 AM   #27
olfella
Cranky old bastard

On the RTA website (post 22) they say 'The 100 km/h speed limit follows NSW speed zoning guidelines and complies with worlds best practice for two lane undivided rural roads'. Well I think the Newell may have been a rural road 30 years ago but since then the amount of traffic has increased dramatically. So why don't they start spending more of the road taxes and upgrade it to a highway? They keep say that 'Australian and International research conclusively shows....' If they want us to be measured on international standards then improve the road to international standards. easy.

If you have a look at the way they propose to spend $30mil over the next THREE years then it is only for more bandaids in a feeble attempt to maintain it - not upgrade it to the requirements of the amount of traffic it carries.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #28
GT290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
As long as they show some commons sense to those passing- as motoring experts have said best to pass quicker at 110-115 than take your time at the speed limit and it be more dangerous. The amount of grey nomads and trucks that go up there if you're in a car passing happens quite often. Roads don't seem bad on the majority of it?
Thats exactly how I do it, as quickly and safely as possible. If I get pulled for it then they better take lic and keys, cause I will tell him I will do it again. You want to get around them suckers reasonably quick as they can let a tyre, I dread the day.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:49 PM   #29
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella
complies with worlds best practice for two lane undivided rural roads
I wonder how many other countries have a 1000km-long 2-lane undivided road as the major highway? Nowhere in Europe for starters & I expect a highway of similar status would be divided if not 4-lane. But then what can you expect, it has taken 25 years and they still haven't managed to finish upgrading the Pacific Hwy...

Terraplainin', I agree with you. I thought the interesting part in that article was the Forbes mayor's reports of trucks tailgating - as mentioned before, how much of this is car drivers driving at/just over the speed limit, but due to speedo error actually doing <100km/h. With the previous 110 limit in the same circumstances you were doing the same speed as the trucks which caused fewer problems.

Re the RTA document, I wonder how many of the 69 fatalities recorded were similar to this crash, or single vehicles leaving the road - ie purely fatigue related?
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2010, 03:02 PM   #30
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

like i have said previously, us harping on in here won't do us much good.

all the car clubs and forums need to get together and back one person to elect as an independant to federal government.

nick xenephon did it on a no pokies platform

we need to do it on a drivers platform of some kind .

a "voice for motorists"

and the government hates dissent as much as the media love it, so they would be willing to compromise on almost everything.

marketed properly, how many votes you think someone would get?
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post