Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default aussie coupes - will we ever see one again?

With the aussie designed an built cars looking shaky in the future, could the recent (99-06) Monaro be the last ever production coupe ever made by an aussie company?

Lets keep the concept cars out of this. I know that there is a ‘concept’ VE coupe running around, and the Falcon AU coupe that appeared once in the magazines was particularly nice, but NOT a production vehicle.

More importantly and sad when you think about it….but is the cobra the last ever ford production AUSSIE coupe to be made? I know the economies of scale don’t add up for car companies as far as coupes are concerned….but to think the cobra was the last aussie ford coupe, is sad.

Would aussies accept the USA mustang if it was brought in as a right hand drive car, officially by ford Australia?

FG XR6 (son)
jphanna is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

It's something that's been bandied around for ages, and one that will evoke heaps of emotional responses.

I, for one; would love to see a coupe but I fear that the current model(s) do not lend themselves to coupe styling without being to 'forced' or 'mutilated' for want of better words. We all miss and love the 'classic' stying, curves and finesse of the Falcon coupe's but...

The only other coupe I would consider to be of worthy consideration would be a Mustang (current) but, I am not too sure that the build quality nor the 'Powerball' pricetag would be too attractive to the average punter as the Falcon coupes enjoyed much of their success due to their accessability.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 01:05 PM   #3
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumXR
It's something that's been bandied around for ages, and one that will evoke heaps of emotional responses.

I, for one; would love to see a coupe but I fear that the current model(s) do not lend themselves to coupe styling without being to 'forced' or 'mutilated' for want of better words. We all miss and love the 'classic' stying, curves and finesse of the Falcon coupe's but...

The only other coupe I would consider to be of worthy consideration would be a Mustang (current) but, I am not too sure that the build quality nor the 'Powerball' pricetag would be too attractive to the average punter as the Falcon coupes enjoyed much of their success due to their accessability.

i agree with your term 'mutilated or forced'. the best coupes in history LOOK like coupes, not just 2 door versions of the sedans. BIG difference.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 27-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You will not see one again. Not unless the fortunes of Holden and the like go back to those of the mid-90s (which won't happen).
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
peeds13
XC AMS

Sad, but true. I doubt there will be one unless its the mustang and I dont think that counts coz its not a falcon.
peeds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
burnz
VFII SS UTE

their is a two door cruze in the pipeline. (chev)
weather its made local is another thing.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 01:35 PM   #7
Chopped
as in chopped

I know there are 12,755 photoshopped coupe versions of the FG.

Here is 12,756 ! >

:
Old 27-01-2010, 01:44 PM   #8
johnny351
used to be johnny260

i think if we may be seeing the end of the falcon in the future that ford should do a retro model based on the xa to commemorate the first aussie designed falcon then they could do a coupe...but im only dreaming
Old 27-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

the fg would be the best shape to allow a good looking coupe since the xabc ,but falcon wont see 2 doors again imho.
Old 27-01-2010, 02:39 PM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never again... they're struggling to maintain a viable case for large 4 door sedans, if Ford cant justify a FG wagon, what hope would a coupe have at 1/10th its sales volume and probably 10 times the wagon's development cost????

Old 27-01-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped
I know there are 12,755 photoshopped coupe versions of the FG.

Here is 12,756 ! >

:
That just looks like an Infinity G35 to me, albeit without the ugly rear lights.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once the Fordone Global RWD platform is here it may be a bit more viable but not at the time being
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
LOCO XP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
i agree with your term 'mutilated or forced'. the best coupes in history LOOK like coupes, not just 2 door versions of the sedans. BIG difference.
I've had similar discussions in the past, especially when the latest Monaros were released amidst comments of them looking like 2 door Commodores. I think people have forgotten that the HK-T-G and to a lesser extent HQ Monaros weren't that radically different to their 4 door brothers except for the roofline/c-pillar treatment. Likewise, the early Falcon coupes (US Sprints, XM-XPs) not that radically different (but I'd give my left one to own one), and early Valiant coupes (VF-G) similar story.... 2 long doors and a speedy looking C-pillar and voila, instant coupe.

XA-B-C coupes and perhaps even Chargers on the other hand, other than the front clips are something else when sat beside the 4 door variants.

The FG with an altered roofline/c-pillar, and 2 door treatment would be sweet no doubt, but commercially viable? Bloody unlikely! Leave it to Hilliers or the like to build for somebody with a passion for 2 door Aussie rockets and deep pockets.
LOCO XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Not while Mustang is an option ..... no hope in hell a specific coupe would ever be built here for such a small market again. Might have happened 15 years ago but never again with such a world platform being developed. GM is a different story ..... they do not care about the bottom dollar .... how they keep going I have no idea!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #15
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is there a strong enough market for a production coupe? And in saying that, it has to be fast. Real fast.

And anyone serious about buying a powerful coupe buys something that isn't a 2 door Commodore or Falcon.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 03:39 AM   #16
Jayden
Graphic Artist

If it was desirable enough why wouldnt they sell enough.

Im sure theres plenty of men who would be won over by a next generation coupe if it has all the proper ingredients of an australian muscle car.

If I had the cash, and it met my high expectations of simple non-****y classic styling I would buy it. Theres no market competition for a car like that exept a used Monaro or the original.
Old 28-01-2010, 07:31 AM   #17
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

If half the members here on this forum signalled a real desire to actually purchase one every year for the next 5 or 10 years, then they would build it.
Old 28-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #18
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
If half the members here on this forum signalled a real desire to actually purchase one every year for the next 5 or 10 years, then they would build it.
No way, done and dusted will not happen again, specially with the global economy trying to get kick started. Bottom line profits for GM & Ford would not allow such a small niche seller to be considered.i.e as a Falcon or Monaro coupe.

banarcus - I can follow your logic, but no way in hell would FORD AU consider production of a vehicle on the supposed desire to purchase from members of a public forum.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #19
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Realistically this is what we're talking about. An XR8 Coupe.

We're talking about appealing to a GenX/Y younger market rather than the Baby Boomer generation. A high end super luxury coupe with the gift of a V8 or T6 would only compete with much better euro/japanese cars, or at least in the eyes of potential prestige buyers, it would fall short.

Any one with children who wants a luxury or muscle car would look instantly at the sedan versions of the G6, SS, XR8, XR6T, etc before a coupe.

Then you've got to consider the $50,000-60,000+ price tag they'd throw on a two door Commodore or Falcon. Consider a V6 model Monaro was near $48,000 in 2001.

Old 28-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #20
z80
Banned

Anyone who has driven a Monaro/CV8 will realize just how awful they in terms of visibility and the impracticallity of only two doors.

Those pillars are damned awful.

There is quite a selection of very well built convertibles that would be a better choice.

A convertible XR6T would be a far better proposition, let's see a photo chop of that !
z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 03:39 PM   #21
PANELCORP

There will be no more Aussie Coupes

Sad as it sounds, there hasn't really been one for several decades

The commodore missing a few doors was not really a coupe and only proved the stupidity of Holden owners as they queued up to buy them !!!

Add the 'Aussie Coupe" to the extinct list!
PANELCORP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #22
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire

Realistically this is what we're talking about. An XR8 Coupe.

We're talking about appealing to a GenX/Y younger market rather than the Baby Boomer generation. A high end super luxury coupe with the gift of a V8 or T6 would only compete with much better euro/japanese cars, or at least in the eyes of potential prestige buyers, it would fall short.

Any one with children who wants a luxury or muscle car would look instantly at the sedan versions of the G6, SS, XR8, XR6T, etc before a coupe.

Then you've got to consider the $50,000-60,000+ price tag they'd throw on a two door Commodore or Falcon. Consider a V6 model Monaro was near $48,000 in 2001.

holden was admanant that they MADE MONEY on the last monaro run. the only reason it was canned was because of the impending VE floorplan which cut short, the sucessfull run of the old floorplan monaro. i have a mate who is on a current aust wide search for a series 2 monaro. the good ones are still pushing $35-40,000 for an unmolested one. that type of resale is very good when you look at other cars from that era. my VE cost me $28,000 in 08 and its worth $17,000 today....i only done 7,000 kms in it as i been thrashing my EA.
FG XR6 (son)
Old 28-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #23
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I owned two coupes one an XB and one an XC both were in a very sorry state of disrepair and the rust was just too severe on these to be repaired never would have got a RWC on them rust in firewall and sandboxes? either side behind front wheels under guards was severe if I am kind the XC had an interior and just to sit in it rear and blindspot vision was next to nonexistent very very nice cars to look at and stuff but driving is difficult especially if we remember that the turning circle is pathetic by todays design standards. The obscured blindspot vision will steer potential buyers to something else with better visibility, that means that for a coupe to be successful the rear vision needs to be equal to that of a sedan we are used to, with the big thick pillars between reardoor/screen on the photochops that wouldn't happen. Also from what I have read in auto mags and the like not one single coupe has good blindspot vision, and alot have very poor rear visibility, in Victoria where we have 45 deg parking that we have to reverse out the poor rear and blindspot vision equates to a pedestrian steamroller the way they walk along behind parked cars.

I would love to see one, and love even more to own one, but I am afraid that we won't see a 2 door falcon again unless it is heavily based on mustang that is 2 door, but to make it viable will need to be sold globally not just in AU.

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 04:21 PM   #24
Chopped
as in chopped

Wow..... how many posts before "Holden"/ "making no money" / "just a 2 door Commodore" / "dumb if you own a monaro" / "Ford are clever for not building a coupe" were mentioned.......not many, LOL but sad.
(how predictable)
Old 28-01-2010, 04:35 PM   #25
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man how hard would it be to combine an FG Falcon on Mustang wheelbase/floorpan? And I'd LOVE a Falcon cabrio/roadster- thats my ideal car right there (Budget SL!)
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #26
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
If half the members here on this forum signalled a real desire to actually purchase oa NEW FORD every year for the next 5 or 10 years, then they would be the largest car company in Australia....

Old 28-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #27
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
If half the members here on this forum signalled a real desire to actually purchase oa NEW FORD every year for the next 5 or 10 years, then they would be the largest car company in Australia....
Lol (so true)
Old 29-01-2010, 02:13 AM   #28
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't it be easier to give FPV a heap of base V8 Mustangs, convert them to right hand drive and tell them to build an ' Oz Spec ' model in the vain of the Aussie GTs. And then if theres enough interest and purchases of the FPV Mustangs, work on full time importing and converting right hand drive base models.

Old 29-01-2010, 08:18 AM   #29
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by onfire
Wouldn't it be easier to give FPV a heap of base V8 Mustangs, convert them to right hand drive and tell them to build an ' Oz Spec ' model in the vain of the Aussie GTs. And then if theres enough interest and purchases of the FPV Mustangs, work on full time importing and converting right hand drive base models.
That's what they did last time.... The converted stangs had mediocre performance, poor build quality and price of around 85K...

Old 29-01-2010, 11:21 AM   #30
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

A fwd coupe is so much easier to make and sell..
This type is NOT my type of car and not what this thread was intended
about.. BUT if Ford ever build a coupe it will be on that platform if it not a version of the Mustang which price wise is closer to $100k than $30k for fwd coupe...
It's not hard to see which car would sell ??
G.M have gone broke making cars that are NOT profitable.. Ford don't want to go there or build another Edsel...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post