Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
jphanna
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default not another HO thread

when the next incarnation of this over anticipated car finally arrives, how many will actually make it to a public road, and be driven at all?

i suspect they will be snapped up by collectors all over australia, delivered on the back of a truck to their storage facilities, and locked away.

the ford dealers will have a special preview for the average joe bloggs to see one when they finally reappear, and then that will be it.

FG XR6 (son)
Old 01-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Methinks you a thread HO.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
4VCLEVO
XA GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphanna
when the next incarnation of this over anticipated car finally arrives, how many will actually make it to a public road, and be driven at all?

i suspect they will be snapped up by collectors all over australia, delivered on the back of a truck to their storage facilities, and locked away.

the ford dealers will have a special preview for the average joe bloggs to see one when they finally reappear, and then that will be it.
I don't belive this will be true.
There are plenty of older HO's out there being driven on a regular bassis, you probably see them and just think they are GT's. The phase 3 would currently be worth more than a new HO and they are not all locked away, the W427 HSV's are not all locked away and are equivelent to a new HO.
If they ever get made I'm sure only a handfull will be locked up by investor/collectors but most will be driven by enthusiests.
Old 01-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #4
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Why?

It will not be a race car.
It will not be a muscle car.

It will be a slightly higher performance falcon with an historic badge that will within a few years be overtaken by lower models.

Remember the TopGear test, Phase 3 was SLOWER than a XT.

If they do release it (and I hope they do not or at least call it something else) I suspect it will be the biggest disaster in modern performance car history.
Within 10 seconds the anti car media will drag up all the 1970s super car scare hysteria for which GTHO is is poster child and the federal government will stomp on it again.

So if you really want the 2015 FPV GT to be a NA 6 cylinder limited to 130km/h then by all means keep pushing.
It seems that every time Ford get ahead there is a scream (GTHO, F6 etc) whereas if Holden are in front (VT2 GTS/W427 wtc) no one cares.

So here is a plan........

Make faster cars than HSV but badge them at a lower figure and NEVER release any factory performance figures.

Maybe someone has already thought of this.

The down side is that the schoolkids, pub racers and wannabes have more difficulty during their HSV vs FPV masterbationfests but then FPV's main business really is selling cars not cheap tacky merchandise.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Why?

It will not be a race car.
It will not be a muscle car.

It will be a slightly higher performance falcon with an historic badge that will within a few years be overtaken by lower models.

Remember the TopGear test, Phase 3 was SLOWER than a XT.

If they do release it (and I hope they do not or at least call it something else) I suspect it will be the biggest disaster in modern performance car history.
Within 10 seconds the anti car media will drag up all the 1970s super car scare hysteria for which GTHO is is poster child and the federal government will stomp on it again.
Ahh Flappist my friend.... it has been a while.... ;)

While I completely disagree with you regarding the 'overtaking by future models' - at least in the short term (remembering that the Phase3 was the fastest 4 door production car when released, and remembering it took some time to eclipse its power output and figures by any other Ford)...

I do completely agree though with the last quoted point above... It will get PLENTY of negative media... and history may well repeat itself... I can already see the news reports, and comparing the release of the GTHO anniversary model to the amount of young driver fatalities....

Good post Flappist (that actually hurts me to say it...)
Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
5.4 GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't see the problem with this. They have money so they can do what they want with it. Pricing it out of reach of Joe Bloggs will be a good thing too. Gives Ford a Halo car once again without the media slamming them. The government can't tell the public the cars are a high-powered danger to society when they are all locked up in storage and Joe Bloggs hasn't put it up a tree.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #7
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We've already had a deluge of HO threads in the past two years and each one is one person wanting a HO and everybody else having their reasons.

I think releasing a HO would be absolutely pointless and would only lessen the legend of the brand.

I don't think they would create a vehicle as powerful as the W427 and given that the HO was the most powerful four-door production car of its time, what would there be to gain to release a new one? You're only cheapening it.

The same people that want the HO to return have absolutely no interest or intention in buying one but want it back 'just because'.

We've had the same arguments with XR wagons...forget it.

Ford has had to recover from the GFC on its own back and does not want to spend money needlessly just to bring back a low-number special edition car. We've had people criticise Holden/HSV for the W427, but the HO is seen as legitimate somehow. Monaro didn't last as long as people had hoped because fact is that something that is unattainable or out of reach is always more appealing than something that is under your nose.

Once 'One Ford' is here, I am damn sure we won't see the HO again, and I could not be happier. Let's keep it tucked away in history with fond memories.

We already have a great selection in FPVs and if you cannot be satisfied with the GS, F6 and F6E, GT, GT[P and GT-E, then you'll never be satisfied.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #8
Chopped
as in chopped

It would have to be around 400kw / 650-700nm. (preferably NA and beat the W427)
Stripes and stickers won't do it.

Can't see it happening.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

The simple fact is this:
There may be 10,000 FPV owners out there, there is possibly around 750 legit GT-HO owners out there (XW/XY)...

How many people would actually put their hand in their pocket and fork out $100k+ for a Falcon??

There were a lot of people that said they would withe the W427 (I think 427 was the original planned production run)... and at the end of the day they struggled to sell 150 odd...

Lets rememeber why car companies build cars.... it's not to please nostalgic memories... its to MAKE MONEY...

Sure the GT40th and Cobra GT cars flew out of the showrooms (mostly to cashed-up fools caught up in the muscle car madness of 2007)... but this is 2010 now... a lot has changed...

I'll just keep driving the XY GT's as often as I can and remember what REAL muscle cars and race cars felt like... 40 years ago...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:44 PM   #10
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a new gtho would be great but it should be a v10 to create a new benchmark of performance
Old 01-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
UNR8D
FORMER T3 OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
a new gtho would be great but it should be a v10 to create a new benchmark of performance

let the games begin.....

you can sleep in your car, but you cant drift your house...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
While I completely disagree with you regarding the 'overtaking by future models' - at least in the short term (remembering that the Phase3 was the fastest 4 door production car when released, and remembering it took some time to eclipse its power output and figures by any other Ford)...
Yes but what if the Supercar Scare had not happened...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:56 PM   #13
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
As well as built at a loss?

Ford has done a great job just to survive the GFC. I just don't see having one engine for a low-production car being very economically viable.

Yes, we'll all get very excited and praise Ford, but as always, few will answer the call and actually buy one, and the press will have a field day slamming Ford for misjudgement etc. etc.

Loftie covered a few of my points but made one important one: cars are built to make money. I have doubts on whether the HO will do anything financially for the brand directly. Indirectly, it is hard to predict.

The HO should stay in the annals of history, where it will forever remain as a groundbreaking car in Australia.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback_ute
Yes but what if the Supercar Scare had not happened...
then the media would not be referring to the "powerfull" xr6's p platers are driving & crashing these days......
there is always a scapegoat when it comes to cars, youth & crashes..
Old 01-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
As well as built at a loss?
sure. the veyron is a loss leader. ford could make a hero car & bring back a whole generation of buyers which would recoup the loss on the v10 gtho many times over.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #16
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
sure. the veyron is a loss leader. ford could make a hero car & bring back a whole generation of buyers which would recoup the loss on the v10 gtho many times over.
But why would bringing back the GT-HO suddenly change people's minds when we've had perfectly fine Australian-built FG Falcons since 2008? There has been enough advertising (even if it was poo). Ford has at least advertised the XT's and G-Series' awards. What more proof do people need?

Surely people are not that blind to what is on offer.

If they have no interest in buying a HO, then why would their bother at all when they haven't had the desire to even test drive a Falcon in previous years?

I just think there is too much emotion involved in the push for a new HO.

I don't think it will be viable.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:12 PM   #17
MAV50L
Banned

The HO is dead now. It has had its glory and is living on by its legend.
If they release another HO all that will be thought of when HO is mentioned will be the special FPV sticker pack equipped car , not the legend.
Let the HO go.
Old 01-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #18
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden special vehicles - for special people
Old 01-02-2010, 07:06 PM   #19
DJL351
XR & FPV Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
Hahahaha - That sums it up really well.
2005 BF GT (6sp manual - Build #183)
2015 SZ MkII Territory Titanium
2016.75 LZ Focus Sport

Quote:
probably the stupidist post on aff - congrats
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
There was once a time when every young man in this country was familiar with firearms and many owned them privately along with a stock of ammo and some bush gear.

Now the best we can hope for is to unfriend them on facebook then SMS their commanders with !!!1!!!!!!11!1!! and then finally plank a tank.......
Old 01-02-2010, 08:07 PM   #20
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJL351
Hahahaha - That sums it up really well.
Seconded. I'm already banging my head on the desk. I wonder if the forum can ban the use of the acronym 'GTHO' for 12 months or so to give everyone a break?
Old 01-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
Seconded. I'm already banging my head on the desk. I wonder if the forum can ban the use of the acronym 'GTHO' for 12 months or so to give everyone a break?
Hehehe, put it in the Swear filter.

Issue warnings for people who try to circumvent it
Old 01-02-2010, 08:32 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
thankyou
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels