Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
blue._.skyes

Default Spluttering under load/rough idle

So heres the dilema,
When I started the car for work this morning was idleing a bit rough, noticed but didnt think too much of it at the time and made a mental note to keep an eye on things. Sarvo.driving home from work, was going up a hill and put a little extra throttle on and the car started spluttering and shaking. Like the whole car shaking violently. It continued to do it on the drive home everytime I took off from lights or applied any sort of decent amount of throttle. The best way to describe what the exhaust sounds like when it does it is a massive fart lol, only word i can think of that explains it. Then when I back off and it goes up a gear it sounds normal again.
Car is a series 2 forte, with a few basic things done to it.
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks

blue._.skyes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Default Re: Spluttering under load/rough idle

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue._.skyes View Post
So heres the dilema,
When I started the car for work this morning was idleing a bit rough, noticed but didnt think too much of it at the time and made a mental note to keep an eye on things. Sarvo.driving home from work, was going up a hill and put a little extra throttle on and the car started spluttering and shaking. Like the whole car shaking violently. It continued to do it on the drive home everytime I took off from lights or applied any sort of decent amount of throttle. The best way to describe what the exhaust sounds like when it does it is a massive fart lol, only word i can think of that explains it. Then when I back off and it goes up a gear it sounds normal again.
Car is a series 2 forte, with a few basic things done to it.
Any help much appreciated!
Thanks
Hi,
I'm thinking maybe coilpack or fuel filter maybe.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
blue._.skyes

I was thinking fuel filter too, but it was done a couple of months ago? I only ever use 98 octane so it shouldnt need replacing again surely? Also the coil pack went about a year ago and it was only slightly missing then, nothing like what its doing now. It struggles to make it up hills in first when my foot is flat to the floor. Damn cars!
Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Aside from coilpack or leads, could it be a blocked catalytic converter? I've read if its blocked the thing wont rev very high, but not sure about the spluttering and shaking though...

Good luck.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:03 PM   #5
robbyj
Rob

Plugs and Leads, definitely a spark issue. Had the exact same thing.
robbyj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
peterljohnson55

Similar problem here, when under load. Was intermittent.
Mine didnt fart like yours tho; she's a lady.

New coil pack and leads and plugs and that was the end of the problem.
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Another option is a faulty fuel pump or blocked fuel reg if the ignition system is not the culprit. An initial ecu scan will confirm whats the problem, good luck with it!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #8
blue._.skyes

Cheers for all the replies guys, muchly appreciated ended up taking it to a mechanic to get it diagnosed and it was the coil pack. It has gone before but and didnt play up nearly as bad as it did this time. Anyway I chucked a new one in saturday morning and its all good, no more farting :P
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
SantoAU
Defender of the faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterljohnson55 View Post
Mine didnt fart like yours tho; she's a lady.

well played

They just get reinvented.

SantoAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 03:25 PM   #10
millview41
PETER logged as Millview

A very similar problem but maybe the same answer , I took my AU2 Fairlane 5Lt V8 out the other day and put her in the shed when I got home , and the next morning got into hear and was hard to start which immediately worried me but finally got her going and she ran like you're having a nightmare , she would only just come up on a few revs and was hopeless to drive , OK we have a problem got Home and started investigating but guessed what the problem was , a big Vacuum leak as I had put her away when she was too hot and suffered from heat soak , I found the leaking hose and replaced it and immediately she was back to her normal self .
Never put a car in an enclosed area when it is hot let her cool down first .
First ride :- Mk2 Zephyr , XA falcon , ZH Fairlane , now 5ltr V8 AU Fairlane on dual fuel ,AU Forte on Petrol Longreach XH ute on Dual Fuel In great condition and picked it up for $1500.00 when wrongly price listed on Gumtreel
millview41 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #11
EL.50
Just cruisin'

Putting it in the garage caused a vacuum line to come off?
EL.50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post