Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-02-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Tom O'Gorman Drops Hint On ORION...

Fewer than 2000 Ford Falcons sold last month
Should the next Falcon be larger or smaller than the current model?

23 February 2007

Gavin McGrath

The size and shape of the next Falcon are locked in, even if it turns out to be "the wrong vehicle at the wrong time". Ford Australia president Tom Gorman says the die is set for the company's next-generation family car, and that the company won't compromise on what a Falcon is to satisfy Australia's shift to smaller cars. Falcon sales dropped to under 2000 for last month, while the new VE Commodore (3474) was outsold by the Toyota Corolla on 3485.

Gorman says life could be tough for the new Falcon, codenamed Orion and scheduled to be launched in 2008, but all the company can do is try to make the best Falcon it can.

"The architecture, technology and the hard points are set. What we can adjust is minor bits of jewellery here and there," Gorman says. "The segment is smaller than when we devised the program but we are committed to the vehicle and intend to go ahead with it to the best of our ability, even if it's a lot harder than what we envisaged two years ago.

"People might say it is the wrong vehicle at the wrong time, but we always say to our people not to add `poorly executed' to that list of challenges. When I arrived here three years ago the large car market was 23 per cent of the Australian market.

"Now it is 13 per cent. That's 100,000 fewer large cars that get sold here each year. If you take that we're about 35 per cent of that, that's 35,000 fewer Falcons annually. Our strategic response was to come up with Territory and that has offset some of that loss.

"If we try to give it the perception of a medium-sized car, drop a 2.0-litre engine in it, then the thing won't get out of its own way. What you create then is a car that breaks its promise to the people who want the car.

"The promise we make with Falcon is to give them great performance and safety in a car you can be proud to have in your driveway. So let's not cut two inches off the back. Let's make it look like we're proud of it."
With large car sales shrinking in Australia, rivals Holden and Toyota have looked to exports to keep the factories running. Earlier this month Holden announced a deal that will see it ship potentially more than 30,000 VE Commodores — rebadged as the Pontiac G8 — to the US each year.

Gorman would not reveal what stage Ford Australia's efforts to export more of its locally made cars is at, but says exports are important for the future of local production.

"How we integrate global rear-wheel-drive initiatives with Ford Motor Company and what we do with exports are critical to us, but those aren't things we can do tomorrow," he says. Gorman says the signs are Falcon has hit its low point and sales should rebound in February as business buyers return, although consistent sales of 3000 or more Falcons each month are unlikely this year.

He ruled out slashing prices to boost the numbers, though. "You have to be very careful with that because we have a brand new Falcon coming and you have to have a good value story with the transition to the new vehicle," he says.

Hints at how the new Falcon is likely to look may lie in the design direction Ford used for its latest concept car, known as the Interceptor, which was unveiled at last month's Detroit Motor Show.
Ford is adding more aggression to all of its future models, as shown in the Interceptor. "This car shows what you can do with a strong rear-wheel drive architecture," executive director of Ford design in North America, Peter Horbury, said at the show. "Like the Falcon, it's tough. It makes a statement."

Although no one is suggesting the Interceptor will be copied by Ford Australia, the same aggressive influences could be at work.

Herald-Sun

ORION sounds like a very interesting "break or die" car for Ford OZ. ?

Old 27-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #2
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
ORION sounds like a very interesting "break or die" car for Ford OZ. ?

I personally think that this will be the decider on whether Ford Australia will continue with the production of large family cars in the future. Only time will tell I guess.
Old 27-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
I personally think that this will be the decider on whether Ford Australia will continue with the production of large family cars in the future. Only time will tell I guess.
If ford can get a health export program than Australia will still manufacture cars. If they cant than FoA will only be designing cars here.

One good thing about orion is FoA has had time to address the rise of fuel, so the weight of the vehicle will worked on as well as the efficiency of the engine and drive line.
Old 27-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
Melz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay so what does this 'Interceptor' look like anyway??? I haven't seen anything...
Old 27-02-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
RIPGMH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"make or break" hopefully, "break or die" wears a Holden badge
Old 27-02-2007, 06:43 PM   #6
Bisazc887
Starter Motor

Too keep getting bigger and bigger like VE and sucking more fuel is not very popular with buyers atm and this wont change for a long time if ever now.
Old 27-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #7
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz
Okay so what does this 'Interceptor' look like anyway??? I haven't seen anything...
This is the Interceptor..http://www.autoblog.com/2006/12/31/f...ceptor-concep/
Old 27-02-2007, 07:18 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

A very committed stance... unlike many other you'll find in corporate Australia.

As a Falcon fan, it pleases me to hear them say that. If my livelihood was dependant on the company? Perhaps i would not be so enthusiastic.

But looks like no one dropping the anchor on this boat anytime soon!!!

Lol, i'll be cold in the grave before i buy a corolla tho, that's for sure
Old 27-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #9
mattcosa

BA was make or break. now orion is even more important.
Old 27-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #10
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcosa
Yep, shrinking market for large cars, environmental awareness /concern by the general punblic, high fuel prices, lowering of tariff protection year over year, and more choice for the consumer than ever before.

Ford need a winner in Orion.
Old 27-02-2007, 08:55 PM   #11
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcosa

The BA certainly did its job though!
Old 27-02-2007, 09:35 PM   #12
irsa76
Snoopping

Ford has proven that large sized cars do not use more fuel then smaller models in the past. I seem to remember early Commodores recording very similar fuel consumption figures then Falcons of the era. Even recently, the Falcon records similar figures to smaller models. The VE has managed to maintain similar figures to the VZ despite being bigger and heavier. Given Fords history with fuel economy I would say the Orion should be better on fuel then the BF despite the size increase. Note no mention of a weight increase, I suspect the exact increase is yet to be finalised.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:00 PM   #13
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Stationwagon
Ford has proven that large sized cars do not use more fuel then smaller models in the past. I seem to remember early Commodores recording very similar fuel consumption figures then Falcons of the era. Even recently, the Falcon records similar figures to smaller models. The VE has managed to maintain similar figures to the VZ despite being bigger and heavier. Given Fords history with fuel economy I would say the Orion should be better on fuel then the BF despite the size increase. Note no mention of a weight increase, I suspect the exact increase is yet to be finalised.
This is probably the most important area where Ford marketing have to do their work. Provided the quality is there, and if Ford can burst this bubble, then will we see a turn around in sales.

Ed
Old 27-02-2007, 10:38 PM   #14
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
A very committed stance... unlike many other you'll find in corporate Australia.
Not so sure there - sounds an awful lot like Tom Phillips before the launch of the TL Magna and the 380.... It's all spin.

Given we think we're only starting to see the mules now, are they aiming for an June-October 08 release date? That would be an awful long time for the BF II to cling on to any sort of respectable sales.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:44 PM   #15
DTFRMONT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute
This is probably the most important area where Ford marketing have to do their work. Provided the quality is there, and if Ford can burst this bubble, then will we see a turn around in sales.

Ed
Have to agree. Mates with cars such as Magnas/Camrys can't believe gow good the fuel consumption is on my AU, for a big car. They still remember the big XD-XF's that were heavy on the juice & still think all falcons are guzzlers. The word has to get out.
Old 27-02-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
Have to agree. Mates with cars such as Magnas/Camrys can't believe gow good the fuel consumption is on my AU, for a big car. They still remember the big XD-XF's that were heavy on the juice & still think all falcons are guzzlers. The word has to get out.
My AU Series 3 Fairmont Wagon V8 averages 22mpg around town...29 to 33 on the open road. BRILLIANT !!!!
FIESTA constantly averages 42mpg, irrespective of how I drive it.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #17
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think it matters whether it drinks very little, it is still a mental barrier you won't break for most people. To get around this Ford nead to offer alternative engines to the 4.0 6cyl. A diesal option is a must for one - should be there right now, but they seem content to sit on their hands...
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 28-02-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
angelfury
right

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFRMONT
um, it's only been over 20 years. you'd think the penny would have dropped by now? :
Old 28-02-2007, 07:35 AM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melz

Interesting to say the least.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 28-02-2007, 08:01 AM   #20
GTP-814
love the quad cams

Lets also hope that a diesel variation is on its way as well
Old 28-02-2007, 08:24 AM   #21
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO

Interesting to say the least.
Ford RoboCop
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
Old 28-02-2007, 09:02 AM   #22
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I don't think it matters whether it drinks very little, it is still a mental barrier you won't break for most people. To get around this Ford nead to offer alternative engines to the 4.0 6cyl. A diesal option is a must for one - should be there right now, but they seem content to sit on their hands...
Their alternative for the fuel concious is the e gas?
I'd be suprised if they began chucking in a diesel because it would be imported while the 4.0L is still made in Aus. Running the Engine plant costs $X dollars per day, and the plants in Aus are set up to run at around the same rate, so if they're building say 100 cars per day but the engine plant is only required to make 90 engines they still have to pay the workers (and effectively the machinery too) for a full days production whether its 100 engines or 90 engines, so they'd be paying for labour to produce the 10 engines that they aren't producing, plus actually paying for the 10 diesels. Feels like a bullet in the foot to me!

I reckon its more likely in Terratory because of the lower volume (hence smaller bullet in the foot) and I dont believe Gas is currently an option for Terra? I may be wrong tho

I certainly would like to see a diesel tho, as long as ride quality and smoothness weren't compromised
Written off whilst parked!

FG Mk II XR6T
Lightning Strike, 6 Speed Auto,, Dark Tint
Awesome toy for Grown Ups!
Old 28-02-2007, 09:05 AM   #23
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_au
Given we think we're only starting to see the mules now, are they aiming for an June-October 08 release date? That would be an awful long time for the BF II to cling on to any sort of respectable sales.
The Feb 21 Edition of Mellors (link below) mentions March 2008 release

http://www.mellor.net/mellor/mellorw...oAuto%20e-News

FG Mk II XR6T
Old 28-02-2007, 09:35 AM   #24
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyEB1
Their alternative for the fuel concious is the e gas?
I'd be suprised if they began chucking in a diesel because it would be imported while the 4.0L is still made in Aus.

I reckon its more likely in Terratory because of the lower volume (hence smaller bullet in the foot) and I dont believe Gas is currently an option for Terra? I may be wrong tho

I certainly would like to see a diesel tho, as long as ride quality and smoothness weren't compromised
Yeah I know, but for some reason the E-Gas just wont sell (200 private sales or something?) Diesal is suddenly trendy with the Jones's, which is why I think they need to go that route - they are so far behind the other companies it is not funny - Mazda 6 has gone diesal already and they were already a 4 cyl. Ford are just not good at reacting to market trends unfortunatly.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:16 AM   #25
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I was recently reading about the new 3.6L V8 turbo diesel that they are building for Land Rover. It makes 220kw and over 600Nm from about 2000rpm. That would work in the Falcon I reckon or even make it a bit larger. Or use the current 2.7L V6 turbo diesel they have now, which I think was rumoured to be going into the Territory.

But I think they will stick with the I6 and try and make it more efficient. And with the turbo they can make good power without sucking too much extra juice.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Old 28-02-2007, 10:21 AM   #26
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Why don't they beat everyone else to it and have the first Aussie built diesel motors?

Toyota want to do it, and it wont be far off..
Old 28-02-2007, 10:46 AM   #27
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GLI
I was recently reading about the new 3.6L V8 turbo diesel that they are building for Land Rover. It makes 220kw and over 600Nm from about 2000rpm. That would work in the Falcon I reckon or even make it a bit larger. Or use the current 2.7L V6 turbo diesel they have now, which I think was rumoured to be going into the Territory.

But I think they will stick with the I6 and try and make it more efficient. And with the turbo they can make good power without sucking too much extra juice.
Ford are producing a 4.4L version for the Expedition and F150. around 240kw/750-800Nm i believe.
Old 28-02-2007, 10:57 AM   #28
Nashy86

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Why don't they beat everyone else to it and have the first Aussie built diesel motors?

Toyota want to do it, and it wont be far off..
MASSIVE investment, needs a massive market which just doesn't exist for Falcon or Territory at the moment

FG Mk II XR6T
Old 28-02-2007, 11:02 AM   #29
bonk182
BonK182

That concept interceptor just looks likes a 300C with a different grill/lights and a square thing on the bonnet.
Old 28-02-2007, 11:07 AM   #30
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
The BA certainly did its job though!
Not really, when you think about it the Falcon should have been Number 1 car between 2002 - 2004, the VY was a horrible piece of ****, I still cant work out why the BA never sold number 1 for those few years, it came close but never did it...
Closed Thread