Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: worth the risk?
Stupid (waste of money) 86 82.69%
Good idea ( who cares about law?) 18 17.31%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2006, 11:55 PM   #1
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default waste of money?

i know an 18 year old on his red p's. he just bought a vt ss with clubsport body kit and exaust off his dad. his dad said that if he wants to risk the law and waste his money then he is not going to stop him. does anyone think that he wont get a km from his house before getting fined and losing demerit points?

i suppose he can bluff and say its a 6 with a body kit but the cops would most likely see through it.

so what do you guys all think? waste of money or who cares?

Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

It's his decision but I like his dad's attitude. Too many parents rescue their kids. His dad his stated his opinion, now it's up to your friend to deal with any consequences that arise. I don't think the cops will be fooled with it being claimed to be a 6.
P6LTD351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:00 AM   #3
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think he is stupid in buying a car which will stick out like so easily - he's asking to be busted...

However, the law is also stupid in not allowing P platers to drive V8s. The VT series I SS only has 179kw (i know many are optioned with the 195kw donk). My BA 6 has more power and is still legal. Where's the sense?
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

his is a vt 2 ss with a body it and a loud zorst. it looks 60 grand but i think he may have gotten it for 10-12 grand. i think its pretty stupid of him because it stands out but really its pretty crap how you cant drive a car with a v8 or turbo until you have you full license. i hope he gets away with it but i doubt it. he should have just saved the cash and bought a better car in a few years time.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:08 AM   #5
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I love WA... No P Plate restrictions :
Old 03-12-2006, 12:16 AM   #6
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30487256
its pretty sad how some states enforce unfair laws while others parts of the country continue to do the opposite. its not like we are all so different. they should have the same laws when it comes to things like this. if i got my p's in w.a does that mean if i went back to nsw i could continue to drive an 8 ?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:19 AM   #7
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Boy
its pretty sad how some states enforce unfair laws while others parts of the country continue to do the opposite. its not like we are all so different. they should have the same laws when it comes to things like this. if i got my p's in w.a does that mean if i went back to nsw i could continue to drive an 8 ?
You're right it is unfair. I'm very surprised why WA hasn't take the same steps like the eastern states have.
Old 03-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
i know an 18 year old on his red p's. he just bought a vt ss with clubsport body kit and exaust off his dad. his dad said that if he wants to risk the law and waste his money then he is not going to stop him. does anyone think that he wont get a km from his house before getting fined and losing demerit points?

i suppose he can bluff and say its a 6 with a body kit but the cops would most likely see through it.

Given all the P plate idiots that kill themselves and their friends in their low powered VNs and EAs, older skylines etc, does it really matter what they drive? But, the law says he can't drive it, so I say his dad is irresponsible for actually selling it to him. His dad will be the first to ask "Why" if his son turns up on the 6.00pm news wrapped around a pole/tree/other car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #9
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

sorry I read the initial post wrong. i didn't know it was his dad that sold it to him. I agree JC, his dad IS irresponsible for selling it to him. Too many people disregard the law. I don't care if they kill themselves, but it unfortunately often involves innonent people (not to mention the families of the irresponsible little s..ts).
Old 03-12-2006, 12:28 AM   #10
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still reckon the law is BS. How can they ban older V8s (e.g. VN/VS etc.) but allow modern 6s (aurion?) which have far more power? It should operate on a power to weight basis rather than assuming that "all V8s are evil"
Old 03-12-2006, 12:37 AM   #11
P6LTD351
Blue Blood

I actually don't think there should be ANY restrictions, the kids can do the same damage in a 6 if they're idiots that they can in an 8. HOWEVER, if it's LAW, it's LAW and kids should be told to repect the law that is currently in place. Sure, try to change the law through campaigns, that's fine. I'm sick of people complaining about speed cameras and the like. We all know they are revenue raisers. BUT, if you don't speed, you don't get busted. Simple. isn't it? My cousin died a few years back from speeding. It destroyed me. Doesn't change the fact that it was HIS fault. Unfortunately we live in a society where people look to blame others instead of taking responsibility for their own actions. There. Rant Over
Old 03-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Waste of money.
For now, drive in a regular bum car, get increasingly comfortable with driving sensibly and forget about appearing to be some cool guy in a cool car. You can't drive if you aren't alive.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:06 AM   #13
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the car but get rid of the SS badge and replace it with the S one. May even fool the cops :
Old 03-12-2006, 01:07 AM   #14
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Keep the car but get rid of the SS badge and replace it with the S one. May even fool the cops :
Until they hear the exhaust, ask him to pop the hood then disallow him to drive the car.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 AM   #15
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my dad grew up driving an lj torana xu1. he lost his license but turned out fine. now he has a gt. i cant see why people in the past could have grown up with these powerful cars but now all of a sudden this generation is deemed irresponsible because a small minority of people wrap themselves around poles. not everyone with a turbo or v8 are going to die on the roads. you could be any age and in any car to have an accident. if its such a big deal then why arnt all the states following these rules? his dad isnt that irresponsible. he trusts his driving and he warned him that he will lose out if he is caught. he is letting him make his own mistake. the guys 18 he is an adult and if he wants to risk it then he will be punished by the law like an adult. his dad can always give his money back when he loses his license lol
Old 03-12-2006, 01:36 AM   #16
havoc19
Banned

im from s.a we have the new bullshit p1 p2 system but no restrictions on what we can drive and even if we did id break them anyway becoz like everybody points out new 6s are more powerful and faster then most old v8s anyway so *** the double standard laws if he gets caught he gets punished simple
havoc19 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #17
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come to think of it... Your friend should just not put up any P Plates when he drives. Cops will only pull you over if you are doing something wrong. So just drive without your P Plates (drive sensibly - so the cops have no reason to pull you over) and you'll never get caught
Old 03-12-2006, 01:40 AM   #18
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Some people have to learn the hard way inc parents. My mum and dad made my buy a good car for my 1st car, same with my sister. It's best to buy a crapper when you 1st get your p's. 3mths, I'd written it off and had a few other dents. My sister? She also wrote her car off. Her 1st car cost $10,000 and didn't last 12mths.

Many people I know have done similar to the above. It's just the experience of learning to drive.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:48 AM   #19
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come to think of it... Your friend should just not put up any P Plates when he drives. Cops will only pull you over if you are doing something wrong. So just drive without your P Plates (drive sensibly - so the cops have no reason to pull you over) and you'll never get caught:

bad move. if he has a random breath test they will see his lisence and fine him for having no ps on the car then see his v8 and fine and take points off.

Many people I know have done similar to the above. It's just the experience of learning to drive:

his alright. its his 3rd. he crashed his first. a mirage, not his fault. he had his vt 6cylinda for 6 months now no problems. now his got the ss. he shuld be okay driving but i think he wont get away with it

sorry i didnt quote the replies properly
Old 03-12-2006, 02:39 AM   #20
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

my mate baught a S14 2 days ago with a SR20DET in it and he has spun it out twice and smacked up the *** of some one, he shouldnt have baught a turbo, im on my p's till im 21.5 dues to a few ofences but having the old falcon all iv ever done is smashed 1 diff, wreaked 1 gearbox, blown 1 diff, and the diff that i bent was due to going up a gutter too fast, when your 16 with stock suspention u think its a 4wd, well difs aint that strong i lernt the hard way, but never hit another car in it and im glad i have a NA 5speed 6 all the power i need, its got enough to kill myself but not too much, i think its a good idea bringing in the ban turbo idea but not V8s, i drive my old mans STI around and that thing has scared the shit out of me and its awd,
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #21
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

why can i say shit but not @ss
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 03:22 AM   #22
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

he would be an idiot, my bro is on his 2nd year of green P's (he was just in before the new V8 law came in) and he has a BA XR8, and always gets pulled over cops making sure he is ok to drive.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #23
BeStRaFe
lpg = big boom!

the police are verry over zelous with these laws..

i am a green p-plater 2nd year...
i owned a toyota sorer LS400 V8

it was a SLUG, my new falcon has more power then it...
and its a restricted vehicle...

unless you are driving an obvious restricted car.. you wont get pulled..

but if you do get pulled its your fault... live withthe concequences ... OR GET AN EXEMPTION!!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #24
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:

I hope your mate is prepared for the fines and loss of licence and possibly car if he gets caught.

old saying :do the crime do the time

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 09:29 AM   #25
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought it was legal to drive a V8 if it was THE family car????
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:01 PM   #26
Steffo
LPG > You

I had the option of an AUII TE50 and I really wanted one. But the law stuffed me up. Rather then buy an unsafe POS and wait it out (3 years is a long time to drive a POS) I instead bought a brand new Ford Fiesta Zetec, and I'm loving every second of it. Of course once I'm on my full licence I'll most likely own something large, rear wheel drive, of inline-six cylinder and turbocharged configuration. 100 points to guess what it'll be :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #27
andrewts
White Car Driver

I'd just spend $900 on a crap old EA or something, more than enough power I reckon. Waste of money.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:11 PM   #28
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not that this applies to me but SA is the same (no P plate restrictions)

My first car was a HJ Prem that had a 308 Turbo 400 (that I had a mild to warm 327 built & put in & same trans - with shift kit & hi-stall & ran a flat 14)

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 12:35 PM   #29
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgxl
I thought it was legal to drive a V8 if it was THE family car????
That would require the vehicle to NOT be in the kid's name, but in the father and/or mother's.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2006, 01:27 PM   #30
XFshep
Bodysnatcher

Quote:
You're right it is unfair. I'm very surprised why WA hasn't take the same steps like the eastern states have.
guess its the same reason we dont have to continually drag our ***** into the DMV to get roadworthy certificates all the time.
XFshep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post