Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-12-2014, 12:41 AM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Happy Anniversary to US

As we near the end of 2014 we reach a major milestone in the life of AFF as we celebrate our tenth anniversary since go-live date on 30th December, 2004 (although some people got a preview on December 29th).

We've come a long way. We had 917 registrations in that first week; passed 5,000 in week 20; 10,000 in week 42 and 20,000 in just over a year. We currently have ~117,000 registered users but as we purge inactive users each year, the total registrations have numbered 264,000 and they still run at about 7-800 per week.

Monthly unique visits used to run about 18,000 in 2005 but they now regularly top 100,000 and where we used to serve about 300,000 pages per month (in 2005) that figure is closer to 20 million now.

We've hosted some great events, cruises, workshops, charity events (raising more than $80,000 along the way) and built a resource for Ford lovers with the combined experience and knowledge of all the members who have contributed their time and knowledge, both past and present.

We've watched fledgling businesses grow through the forum, had some major debates on a wide range of topics, worked through controversies, legal threats, personal loss, server issues and changes in key personnel most of which has remained in the background and known to only a few.

Along the way we have been supported by some loyal sponsors, many of whom (notably ASL, Autotech, Bluepower, BPT Herrod & Stingray) joined in that first year and are still supporting us today. To them, along with all of our sponsors, I want to say a big thanks.

Likewise, we have been assisted by a small but loyal group of Donating Members, many of whom joined the first year that membership became available (2006) and are still supporting us today. Thanks to all of them as well.

While I'm saying thank-yous, I can't forget the largely unsung heroes in the back room that help keep AFF running. It's been a changing group over the last decade as people have come and gone but the current admin group (Spoolman, wulos, Falcon Coupe, Auslandau and GT) and our team of moderators have been together for a good few years now and their patience, help and support has been invaluable.

Finally, it would be remiss of me not to thank each and everyone of the members who are here now, have been here and those who will be here in the years ahead for it is each of you that contributes to this community and makes it what it is today.

On a personal note let me say that I've met some great people through this forum and been constantly amazed at the depth and breadth of knowledge available within this community - not just about our brand but about almost anything you care to name and I consider myself fortunate to have been a part of it all.

We'll be hosting a major (probably last chance) celebratory event in the middle of this coming year so watch this space!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
106 users like this post:
2242100, 4stanger, 66 STANG, A-TEK, Adamz Ghia, AGH, baboon, Bearman, BLU-220, boss310, brismike, Bundy, Charliewool, Chopped, CoupeKing, cs123, csv8, Danny, Dauphin, davenl5l, dawsman, deesun, DJM83, Dr Smith, DRU842, EA2BA, ego gtp, Falcon Coupe, Feathers, FERG_51, FGX-351, fnm17, FOCUSonTHIS, Ford17, Fordman1, ford_17, FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0, Franco Cozzo, FTE217, futura, galaxy xr8, GasoLane, Geez Louise, geobar, Giant Cranium, gossy, GTMOND, GTP534, GTPete, hawkgirl, Jacko*, Jason[98.EL], jimt3te50, JTFG, LeadFoot81, LG17, LoudPipes, marty351, MercurySilver, mick457, Mighty Reds, mik, MR REKLAW, MR.BA.GT.332, naddis01, nitro50th, nuthin' fancy, OCTANEBOSS, OffRoadFalcon, Olbucko, Paull, PG2, pmacc, poppa smurf, pottery beige, rag top, Raptor, Revolver, Silver Ghia, Simple6, Sioso, SM1DY, Sorted, Streets, strobe, Struggo, superpursuit83, supershifty, Terraplainin', The Stylist, turbo4, tut0r, tweeked, V8 6I, v8der, whynot, Work Horse, Wretched, wulos, XBGTFGGTP, XBv8mmm!, XP6, XR398BOSS, XRFutura, Yellow_Festiva, zilo
Old 30-12-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Happy Anniversary to US

Happy anniversary, I'm looking forward to the next ten years.
LoudPipes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
TRRTRY

Well done - 10 years is a long time in the world of IT. That's about 3 generations!
TRRTRY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 09:56 AM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

How time fly's bye.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 09:58 AM   #5
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Congrats to all especially you Russell!, longest site I have joined so far!

Hope you like the present(finally thought too donate)

Last edited by XP6; 30-12-2014 at 10:21 AM.
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

10 years certainly did pass quickly!

No one puts in more work behind the scenes than russellw.
Many thanks for being the driving force behind everything we enjoy here Russ. You should be proud of the milestone and the community of great people formed here as a result.

It's easy to take for granted at times the huge amount of information available at the click of a button, whether it be common issues or performance modification knowledge gained by those who have spent no small amount of cash in testing and give their advice away freely.
It's all come together to make this place a valuable resource for all of us!
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Fantastic effort by Russ and the rest of the admin group. The moderators do a great job and the site has a great positive vibe. Bit of a thankless job being a moderator, well done.

I have met some really nice people though this forum and the willingness for people to share and help is what makes it the best Ford site I have ever found.

Well done guys.

Chris
Old 30-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #8
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Congratulations on your 10th Anniversary, AFF: a rather distinguished achievement

I echo all of the thanks that Russ has noted above, but I think the lasting nature of this forum is a testament to all those who work tirelessly in the background to make this all possible. Sure, it wouldn't be what it is without our sponsors, moderators, donating members and regular members who contribute regularly and (mostly) positively, but none of that would be able, or need, to exist without the admin team.

Thankyou to you all, and may there be many, many, many more years to come for AFF.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 12:38 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Thanks to Russ and all who keep this site running. Don't know what I'd do without AFF - I'd probably have to spend more time talking to the missus or something!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

10 years already. Wow. Congratulations everyone! Looking forward to many more!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 01:31 PM   #11
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
10 years certainly did pass quickly!

No one puts in more work behind the scenes than russellw.
Many thanks for being the driving force behind everything we enjoy here Russ. You should be proud of the milestone and the community of great people formed here as a result.

It's easy to take for granted at times the huge amount of information available at the click of a button, whether it be common issues or performance modification knowledge gained by those who have spent no small amount of cash in testing and give their advice away freely.
It's all come together to make this place a valuable resource for all of us!
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 02:24 PM   #12
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks to everyone involved in keeping Ford Forums up and running, its a great place for all us Ford/car enthusiasts.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #13
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

this place is great
i get told at least once a week that im on the pc too much
80% of the time im on the thing im in here

learnt heaps and hopefully will learn a lot more and get plenty of help along the way while slowly doing up the xb
people are willing to share their knowledge, without making people like me who dont have too much of an idea about engines etc and dont call you a complete dumbo in the process
like many others we are here to learn from the guys and girls that have done it all before

some of the knowledge here about diff models (eg in the early x series area) is unreal, this fits that ,they werr different to this model but you can use these instead etc
unreal knowledge
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Congrats to the AFF team and thanks to all the contributors over the years. It is an essential resource for Australian Ford enthusiasts. Keep up the great work!

The stats are fascinating, Russ!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #15
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

10 years already?? Wow, that has gone quickly.

A huge thanks to russelw for getting this all up and keeping it going. Big thanks also to all the key support folks as well. This is a great place to be and talk about cars.

Although this is a Ford forum and has a natural Ford bias I am blown away by how balanced and well reasoned most contributors are regardless of the badge. Just illustrates the calibre of everyone here and of the moderators in keeping it all going.

Happy 10th birthday FF.

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

I'd like to add my most gracious thanks to the members, admin, and the moderators for making this site the best Ford site. I've only been on here a short time compared to the 2004 initial start.

I'd never actively participated in a forum before the AFF, just lurked and looked for information. I found the AFF to be well administered and moderated. A lot of other forums engaged in ****ing contests and abuse of others for others opinions which was tolerated - not for me! The AFF is way different and hence joined in 2012, became a DM not long after.

One thing led to another and I gradually met fellow SE QLD AFF members and Ford enthusiasts, something I'd never had considered before joining, but way it is. Have met many like minded folk and formed some mateships and friendships from the AFF community.

There's many members I'd like to meet and have an ale or two discussing cars and **** in general, however time and distance gets in the way. We'll just have to stick with the forum!

Cheers! and all the best for 2015.

David.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-12-2014, 04:54 PM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Geez, time flies just checked my join date.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2014, 04:59 PM   #18
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Been a long time now... congrats team
Old 30-12-2014, 05:21 PM   #19
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

WOW! How quickly time goes by!

Here are a few interesting facts about 2004. Hopefully I have them all correct!

* The Fiesta, a global Ford product, has been offered since 2004.
* Since 2004, the Ford Territory has been built on the same production line as the Falcon. The Territory (technically a crossover) has regularly been the most popular SUV in Australia since its release.
* The FPV F6 is an automobile which has been produced in Australia by Ford Performance Vehicles since 2004
* The average price of unleaded Petrol in 2004 was 97.5c p/l
* The number 1 song in Australia's Top 40 countdown was "Shut up" by the Black Eyed Peas
* World of Warcraft was released for PC
* George W Bush was named People magazines person of the year.
* Facebook was released to College students

however, the most interesting fact is that AFF - the place we all love to visit, talk about our second family (our cars....in some cases it make be some peoples first family), a place where we can make lasting friendships and have a laugh with, was launched.

Congratulations russellw on creating such a great place for all of us to share our passion. To you sir...I tip my hat!

Cheers
Col
Old 30-12-2014, 05:44 PM   #20
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done on providing us all with a great forum Russ we love the place and even though I am not as active here these days I still like the place

Thankyou again guys for a job well done

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 03:03 PM   #21
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 years that's longer than my practice marriage !! love this forum good people , good advice and not too many trolls
Old 31-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #22
v8der
Naturally Aspirated

I own two V8's because of this site

Thanks Russ

1993 EBII Fairmont 4sp auto Biscayne Blue

Previous Forms of Transportation:

1978 302 V8 XC | 1982 4.1L XD | 1994 ED Fairmont | 2000 AUII XR6 | 2002 AUIII XR8 | 2003 BA XR6 } 2011 SZ Titanium Territory | 2006 BF Pursuit BOSS 290 6spd manual #57 | 2003 BA Fairmont 5.4L 4spd auto |
v8der is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #23
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I'd like to add my most gracious thanks to the members, admin, and the moderators for making this site the best Ford site. I've only been on here a short time compared to the 2004 initial start.

I'd never actively participated in a forum before the AFF, just lurked and looked for information. I found the AFF to be well administered and moderated. A lot of other forums engaged in ****ing contests and abuse of others for others opinions which was tolerated - not for me! The AFF is way different and hence joined in 2012, became a DM not long after.

One thing led to another and I gradually met fellow SE QLD AFF members and Ford enthusiasts, something I'd never had considered before joining, but way it is. Have met many like minded folk and formed some mateships and friendships from the AFF community.

There's many members I'd like to meet and have an ale or two discussing cars and **** in general, however time and distance gets in the way. We'll just have to stick with the forum!

Cheers! and all the best for 2015.

David.
Ditto here. I have certainly found AFF most beneficial in learning about how various things work, and performing improvements and fixes which greatly enhanced the enjoyment of BA and now FG ownership.

Then there are a few members that I have contacted about various things, and found them very helpful with their advice. Who would I have gone to if it wasnt for this forum?

Would I still be driving a Ford if it wasn't for this forum? Perhaps not. But I certainly wouldn't be enjoying car ownership regardless of make, the way I am these days.

Well done to Russell and his team for a well run and valuable website.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: