Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-09-2005, 07:10 PM   #1
General Lee

Default Safety Notice 11sep2005: Hume and Olympic Hwys Southern NSW

Having travelled the Hume Hwy this weekend in its pressure from severe wet weather you should know the following if you are travelling by car/truck/etc. maybe some Sandown 500 travellers will get this for their journeys away from melbourne:

1. The Hume Hwy north of Wodonga up to Tarcutta is breaking up badly. The first dangerous areas are on The Causeway between Albury and Wodonga (where last night multiple cars were changing wheels after hitting the huge holes), and from the BP in Nth Albury up to Tarcutta large holes have opened up in the pavement. On some sections the holes are large enough to cause severe impact effects to Kenworth Prime Movers let alone cars. Almost none of these are marked and no warnings exist. Up Nth of Holbrook sections of road have flooding and deep water - use your CB if possible to listen out for warnings. I can tell you cars with low profile tyres will suffer severe damage from the condition of the road at present - the worst I've seen in a long time.

2. Olympic Hwy is shut in sections due to flooding. Check with RTA before travelling. As at Sat night the road was cut off near Culcairn.

I travel the Hume Hwy a lot but the pavement break ups and size/state of many of the potholes (or even entire broken up strips of road) shocked even me. If truckies feel how bad it is and comment it's a sad reflection on our RTA.

Be careful.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post