Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-07-2021, 01:53 PM   #241
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Definitive AU1 to AU2/AU3 brake upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Genuine 322 fronts getting more difficult to find, there are the aftermarket brackets on ebay

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/263136426361

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/283709614621

Then can use any BA caliper, swap the brackets with the new ones, it is the brackets that are different on the 322, rest of caliper is same as the regular BA.

awesome! .... bought those brackets ages ago, but thought i might have to change uprights. it's for a BA. also bought the bigger brakes for the wog mobile [has same brackets] . . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Something like https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254801652084

Those mounting brackets, correct rotors/pads and new lines would work?
not sure on that one .. but yes two piston
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2021, 06:09 PM   #242
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Something like https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/254801652084

Those mounting brackets, correct rotors/pads and new lines would work?
Yes, those reco'd calipers, add the aftermarket brackets, some BA lines, the 322 rotors and you're set.

Pads are the same whether its 298 or 322.

Even the AU2 front lines can work if you have an AU2, ive made them work but cant remember exactly what I did, I think I mightve milled some off the side of the block where it bolts to the caliper to get the orientation right.

BA lines/hoses will go straight on though and dont need mods... but they do have a little mounting bracket that slips under the caliper mounting bolt head... you will need those with BA lines.

BA lines clip into that bracket whereas AU2's clip onto the strut/shock assembly.

Here is a pair of BA calipers on ebay, the 4th pic shows the little brackets with the open ended C shape, they live under the mounting bolts.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/284378854532

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/y3QAA...hS/s-l1600.jpg
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2021, 09:42 AM   #243
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Thanks mate will go with arp washers for sure.

Just got ordered a set of refurbed terry 328mm rears.

Think I will contact race brakes sydney to see if they can make up some new lines for the rear.

Fronts seem to be elusive as of right now I did see RBS sell a 325mm front kit same as on the ba gt.
Keep us posted on how you go with the lines. I will be getting RBS to make a set up for me too, so it would be great if you could share the measurements used.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-07-2021, 12:18 PM   #244
Ben

With the rotors am i just looking for the terry 328 style rotors or do i need something different to suit the handbrake setup or do they run they same. And assume any falcon 322 rotor from that period will suit fronts?

Ben
Old 27-07-2021, 02:23 PM   #245
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

They are the same mate. And yes, any Falcon rotor will fit.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2021, 08:30 PM   #246
Ben

Cheers everyone. Have almost everything on order.

Waiting to hear back from RBS on lines.

With the 3mm spacers anyone know the details I should be trying to match ie inside/ outside diameter?

Cheers
Old 29-07-2021, 06:54 PM   #247
Ben

Bit of an update.

Regarding the lines spoke with Matt at Race Brakes Sydney who is great to deal with.

Issue is with the rears unfortunately they cant do my rear lines as there are a few setups and mine is the one they dont have the fittings for, he suggested brakequip might be able to do them.

As brakequip are a franchise and after some digging will most likely need either the lines or car.

So I am looking at getting RBS to sort out the fronts for me so I can put them on when I do the calipers. And from what I have read I can make my current rears just work with the terry calipers so I can get my car to one of these shops to make up the rears.
Old 29-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #248
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So I am looking at getting RBS to sort out the fronts for me so I can put them on when I do the calipers. And from what I have read I can make my current rears just work with the terry calipers so I can get my car to one of these shops to make up the rears.
Yes they can work, ive put terry rear brakes on an IRS AU with factory rear lines... a 4 channel ABS car, so the rear has its own brake line running along each side of the chassis and to the caliper. (AU fairlane)

The rears if I remember right were the same deal as what i said about the front AU lines earlier, i milled some material off one corner of the block that bolts to the caliper so i could turn/orientate the block and line correctly as it comes off the caliper. Because the notch in the terry caliper around where the brake line bolt lives is a bit different to the AU.

I havent read the entire thread so I dont know what others have said or done regarding using the stock AU rear brake hoses on the terry calipers, but I took some metal off the side of the block to get them sitting how i felt was right.

I just did it with a bench grinder (removed rubber line from car first obviously) and cleaned it all up afterwards etc. before refitting. Flushed and bled the brakes well, rock hard pedal was the result and no problems. Would be even better with new SS lines of course.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-02-2022, 11:14 PM   #249
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So I did some work on someones 99 AU Fairlane recently, september 99 build series 1.

Owner wanted to upgrade to AU2 master cylinder and booster and eventually the 322mm/328mm deal.

Did the MC and booster first, series 2 stuff... bolted in a series 2 pedal box and redrilled firewall using the 4 pedal box holes as a guide. The pedal boxes are the same except the series 2 box has the 4 holes versus the 2 for series 1, and none of the holes are in the same place...so I figure its easier to bolt the series 2 pedal box in and then drilling the holes in the correct place is much easier.

I was able to drill all 4 of them from the interior side after punching the centre using the series 2 pedal box holes as a guide.

I had read that Ford changed the shape of the firewall where it meets the cowl panel slightly on series 2, and series 2 stuff didnt sit flat on a series 1 firewall due to interference where the firewall meets the cowl panel (join was lower on series 1s and hits the series 2 booster) , and some minor panel beating could rectify that.

then someone somewhere said a Feb 2000 series 1 had the updated shape and the booster went straight in no probs.

Well on this september 99 car same thing, just drilled the 4 holes the series 2 booster needed and no interference, its sitting flat and vertical on the firewall.

So i bled the brakes with the series 2 master and booster and the car stops much better even with the series 1 front brakes still on it. (rears are the same caliper piston between 1 and 2 essentially, discs just thinner on the 1)

So this is the other way around to what some have done where they install series 2 brakes and leave the series 1 booster and master cylinder.

The series 1 booster is plastic and ive found it to flex a great deal, not very good.

This car will get the bigger brakes eventually but i found it interesting that the series 2 stuff with its steel booster that doesnt flex and the bigger bore MC resulted in greatly improved braking.

Im not sure there is much talk of fitting the series 2 booster and MC in this thread without needing wedge plates and the like, and doing this with the series 1 brakes still in place, hence my post and bump here for improving these old rides without too many dramas lol.
3 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2022, 08:07 PM   #250
jimmo
Starter Motor

Thumbs up Re: Definitive AU1 to AU2/AU3 brake upgrade thread

Sweet!! Thanks for the info, mate, that's a big help as I was wondering what I was going to do. I just checked my series 1 project and its an Oct 99 build! Will now do the same MC/Booster upgrade and add a 322/328 setup off a BF turbo. Cheers..
jimmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2022, 08:46 AM   #251
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i was doing it again i'd go the S2 booster just for the daily driving and using light brake pressure.
i found the S1 booster on 322/328 brakes didn't make the brakes worse but it needed more foot pressure, still worked great on the track though just not ideal on the road for lazy driving
i also put my old S1 brakes on the S2 doner car and that was almost undrivable, the brakes were extremely touchy as it was over boosted but it can be done
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2022, 02:35 PM   #252
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
if i was doing it again i'd go the S2 booster just for the daily driving and using light brake pressure.
i found the S1 booster on 322/328 brakes didn't make the brakes worse but it needed more foot pressure, still worked great on the track though just not ideal on the road for lazy driving
i also put my old S1 brakes on the S2 doner car and that was almost undrivable, the brakes were extremely touchy as it was over boosted but it can be done
Probably because the initial foot effort is taken up in flex. If you get someone to push the brakes while watching the boosters plastic vs metal you would see a difference between the two.

So you put S1 brakes on a S2 car with the S2 booster and MC?

I didnt find this car to be too touchy actually, I drove it a fair bit. It suprised me and the owner actually as to how much better it pulled up, and it wasnt just the initial feel with less foot pressure applied ..(which is better with the S2 booster as you said). I did a few hard emergency braking stops even from high speeds... it did have ABS though so couldnt lock the brakes if i tried.

but i guess adding more pressure to existing calipers is nothing new... hydroboost conversions are another example where that applies.

Unrelated but has anyone tried those new protex brand MC's ? Lots of them all over fleabay and theyre available from auto stores.

I tried a new one on my own Fairlane and could not get it to work.. ended up returning it. The brake pedal would lock up halfway through its movement and couldnt get fluid out of the calipers. And im not inexperienced at bleeding brakes, I was a tech at a dealership even once upon. Tried everything including of course bench bleeding it first.. something was off about it inside, and i didnt care to spend the time to pull it apart and compare to an OEM pbr master cylinder.