Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #1
andrewwaters
Andrew Waters Photography

Default Day Time Running Lights

Hi All,

I recently purchased a set of Day Time Running Lights and im wondering what is the best place to power them from?

I have a Sub and amp in the car and Neons aswell. The neons are power of the HU so im not sure where the best place to power from.

Taking in note that i would prefer the day lights to be on a seperate switch to all Lights so it can come on when i want.

e.g
Day Lights on and Headlights and parkers off.

I am driving a 2000 Ford Laser KN LXI

Let me know on your thoughts.

Cheers

Old 17-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Day Time Running Lights

A 240v supply attached by a very short lead to an outlet in your basement
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

DRLs should be wired into parkers, they usually have some electronic trickery that they sense voltage, so you wire them into parkers, but they won't turn on unless the alternator is charging the battery and parkers are on.

Or you could run a wire to a switch from the positive terminal on your battery, have the switch with its on position pin feeding to pin 86 on a relay, earth pin 85, pin 30 to battery positive (with a fuse) and pin 87 to the DRLs and that will allow you to switch them on separately instead of having them off parkers, but still will have to have the car running I'm fairly sure because of its electro-magic going on in there.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-04-2012 at 11:09 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2012, 11:10 PM   #4
mickbundy

My Giddy Aunt
how hard has life become ?
mickbundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Anywhere except fitted to your car.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
DRLs should be wired into parkers, they usually have some electronic trickery that they sense voltage, so you wire them into parkers, but they won't turn on unless the alternator is charging the battery and parkers are on.

Or you could run a wire to a switch from the positive terminal on your battery, have the switch with its on position pin feeding to pin 86 on a relay, earth pin 85, pin 30 to battery positive (with a fuse) and pin 87 to the DRLs and that will allow you to switch them on separately instead of having them off parkers, but still will have to have the car running I'm fairly sure because of its electro-magic going on in there.
Both ways is wrong.....

DRLs should come on as soon as you turn the ignition on and should dim / turn off when you put the headlights on. Theres no switch for them inside.

They come with proper wiring diagrams usually you will have to power them and then run a wire to the headlight which will dim them when the headlight is switch on.

As for people dissing DRL's you need to have a look as some road research carried out in the US and Europe.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:19 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

LOL people hating them. They are very effective for obviously long trips etc.

I installed some in my AU on the bumper inserts under the number plate, and also replaced my parker bulbs with white LED's to match.

Its wired so that they only work with the parkers, when I switch to normal driving lights they turn off, also when I have the highbeams on (naturally).

I also like the idea of using these instead of normal driving lights when on longer trips because during the day your driving lights do nothing other than waste the bulb, they also are far more noticeable.

I wanted to use the Phillips range but they looked to bulky on my car, so I made a little custom setup which is pretty basic but does the trick.

Im not an aggressive driver but I have noticed people in the right lane move over quicker, and in VIC this is an issue as most of the time the left lane is quicker!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can call them 'daytime driving lights', the Police in just about every State has legislation about the use of these types of lights, I suggest you refer to your State's rules about their use before you wire them in
Old 18-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
You can call them 'daytime driving lights', the Police in just about every State has legislation about the use of these types of lights, I suggest you refer to your State's rules about their use before you wire them in
Just like all the laws with cars, ride height, exhausts etc if your being a dick then you will get pulled over and have your car gone through.

I pass plenty of police, most recently over Easter from Melb to Canb and even when stopped at a bretho they didnt ask or say anything.

Ive seen some new model seem to keep the DRL's on while the driving lights are on, so I guess they might be hooked up to a light sensor? Dont know.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #10
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is the Victorian Law

From the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009
Quote:
105 Front fog lights
(1) A pair of front fog lights may be fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels.
(2) A pair of front fog lights, or a single front fog light, may be fitted to a motor cycle or trike.
(3) A pair of front fog lights fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must have the centre of each light not over 400 millimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle unless the centres of the lights are at least 600 millimetres apart.
(4) If the top of the front fog light is higher than the top of any low-beam headlight on the vehicle, the centre of the fog light must not be higher than the centre of the low-beam headlight.
(5) A front fog light must—
(a) when on—
(i) project white or yellow light in front of the vehicle; and
(ii) be a low-beam light; and
(b) be able to be operated independently of any headlight; and
(c) be fitted so the light from it does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver's eyes
Quote:
217 Using fog lights
(1) The driver must not operate any front or rear fog light fitted to the vehicle unless the driver is driving in fog or other hazardous weather conditions causing reduced visibility.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
(2) In this rule—
front fog light has the same meaning as in Schedule 2 to the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009;
rear fog light has the same meaning as in Schedule 2 to the Road Safety (Vehicles) Regulations 2009.

Last edited by Trevor 57; 18-04-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Right so with a bit of common sense your fine. But the vast majority of DRL's do not adhere to 217 with regards to "fog", as they are not fog lights and emit stuff all light "beam"
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-04-2012, 01:33 PM   #12
andrewwaters
Andrew Waters Photography

Hi All,

Well i have just finished my Day Lights and i wired them to the Parkers.

Old 18-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Right so with a bit of common sense your fine. But the vast majority of DRL's do not adhere to 217 with regards to "fog", as they are not fog lights and emit stuff all light "beam"
The law does not refer to the 'power' of the white light on the front of vehicles, just to the lights themselves and their use and set up

I am very confident that the law in NSW/Canberra and Queensland are pretty much the same as the Victorian law, I could have a look but I have to get back to work -
Old 18-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
The law does not refer to the 'power' of the white light on the front of vehicles, just to the lights themselves and their use and set up
True, but would our laws not be up to date with regards to DRL's as they are not a requirement here yet, we just get the cars from EU where it is.

Its not like they will pull over a Merc driver for having their DRL's on (which I was under the impression they are automated not by switch) because there is no fog.

If they want to crack down on anything they can start with the ugly blue, green, red etc parkers that people use..and those stupid washer jets.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #15
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:

DRL's are not foglamps...

Totally different.

If you look at any new European car they have them fitted, and most US based cars now... E.g. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mercedes C250, HSV Clubsports etc.

Under the EU standard (which is what ADR will follow) they have to be a certain distance apart (I think 700 mm) atleast... Which would make the ones above illegal.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Both ways is wrong.....

DRLs should come on as soon as you turn the ignition on and should dim / turn off when you put the headlights on. Theres no switch for them inside.

They come with proper wiring diagrams usually you will have to power them and then run a wire to the headlight which will dim them when the headlight is switch on.

As for people dissing DRL's you need to have a look as some road research carried out in the US and Europe.
I know but the OP wants to switch them on separately and that is how I'd do it if that's the case.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #17
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

But then you have an ugly button/switch somewhere, IMO linking it to the parkers is good. But be sure to wire it so that when the headlights come on the DRL's come off because AFAIK parkers stay on when the main headlights are on..I dont why but they do on my AU.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 18-04-2012, 02:46 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
parkers stay on when the main headlights are on..I dont why but they do on my AU.
Probably because if you blow a headlight bulb there is still some indication where the side of the car is.
IE: it's a car with one headlight coming and not a bike.
Old 18-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #19
graham_h
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

might want to resize that pic ?
graham_h is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #20
Miss_XR6

DRL's are legal in NSW
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
DRL's are not foglamps...

Totally different.

If you look at any new European car they have them fitted, and most US based cars now... E.g. Jeep Grand Cherokee, Mercedes C250, HSV Clubsports etc.

Under the EU standard (which is what ADR will follow) they have to be a certain distance apart (I think 700 mm) atleast... Which would make the ones above illegal.
ADR13/00 Appendix A, Para 6.19 specifies the minimum distance between the two DRL's to be 600mm, also not greater than 400mm from the extreme outer edges of the vehicle, and no less than 250mm from the ground. This makes the installation per the photo illegal as Dash GT mentioned, besides the DRL's should be wired as per Dash GT's post #6, via a special relay that functions as he described.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 03:04 PM   #22
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you will find that the State Authorities will see them (DRL's) as all the same - fog lights

Plus the OP is adding them to an older car so all your arguments about Mecedes', HSV's, etc is totally irrelevant - sorry, and since when were HSV's 'imported'
Old 18-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #23
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

DRLs are a european safety feature and must comply with the ADRs.

The reason for them is to increase visibility in low light conditions found there which are not all that common in Australia away from the alpine areas and some parts of Victoria and Tasmania.

Looking awsum, fully sic and uber cool are not valid reasons for DRLs and will not stand up in court if they are not implemented or operated correctly within the law.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #24
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you will find that the State Authorities will see them (DRL's) as all the same - fog lights

Plus the OP is adding them to an older car so all your arguments about Mecedes', HSV's, etc is totally irrelevant - sorry, and since when were HSV's 'imported'
Sorry mate... You are wrong...

They are not classed as foglamps... Totally different. Do you know what DRL stands for? Day Time Running Light. Foglights are illegal unless there is fog or wet weather lowering visibility.

You can legally retrofit them to an older car, see the post above outlining the correct dimensions.
Old 18-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #25
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The daylights are not classified as fog lights.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #26
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:

ADR76/00 refers to the technical requirements of DRL's, which covers both locallly and overseas manufactured vehicles, Australia wide. ADR13/00 Appendix A, Para 6.19 refers to the positioning and operation of DRL's, not to be confused with fog lights which are covered under ADR13/00 App A, Para 6.3.
Different lights, different requirements completely, and recognised Australia wide.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

God some people can get their knickers in a twist about nothing.

They are not dangerous like cut springs or something like that, they are little LED's that enhance visibility...its just so happens they draw less power than a bulb, last longer and are brighter in day time conditions...they are useless at night and are way to bright ("sparkly" bright), so anyone running around after dark with them on are asking for trouble.

Have you guys not seen some of the large trucks getting about with them all over the front like a christmas tree?

There are bigger issues with our roads and the cars on them than some DRL's/LED's whatever.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 18-04-2012 at 03:46 PM.
Old 18-04-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
Miss_XR6

Quote:

If you were to read above at my post you will see in NSW DRL's are actually legal for all cars as they are not classed as fog lights

Maybe different in your state but not NSW
Miss_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #29
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
God some people can get their knickers in a twist about nothing.

They are not dangerous like cut springs or something like that, they are little LED's that enhance visibility...its just so happens they draw less power than a bulb, last longer and are brighter in day time conditions...they are useless at night and are way to bright ("sparkly" bright), so anyone running around after dark with them on are asking for trouble.

Have you guys not seen some of the large trucks getting about with them all over the front like a christmas tree?

There are bigger issues with our roads and the cars on them than some DRL's/LED's whatever.
If you say so champ.

Just saying, if they are incorrectly fitted then they aren't legal, and could potentially dazel or cause an accident. The biggest issue is if they are too close together they can make the vehicle look further away then it really is, in poor lighting.

I have them fitted in the OEM foglight position on my GT, and they comply with the law. I have had countless people ask me about where I got them, as they look factory.
Old 18-04-2012, 04:44 PM   #30
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Im sure some wizard at ADR HQ has worked out some magic that they have to be x mm from this and that.

But like we are all agreeing on, they are DAY time running lights. If you cant work out if its a truck, motorcycle or bus during the day then your got bigger issues than working out the width of a car in its own lane.

Ive seen some shocking setups, but none are dazzling etc during the day. When dusk hits etc then there is a grey area but generally they are inoffensive except to the fashion police.

While the law might argue with the example above, I fail to see how during the day this car is suddenly a danger to society.

Im not arguing with you DASH BTW, I agree with what your saying.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane

Last edited by Polyal; 18-04-2012 at 04:51 PM.