Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #1
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Pros and Cons of an aftermarket LSD

Would be interested to hear your thoughts...

Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

High Cost is the only Con i can see . The pros are that one would expect a professional diff builder would build a better diff than the shockers ford put in the cars from the factory.
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #3
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

The pros are that a few of us have done it. I was told that traction would be better but instead now both wheels spin.Also the beloved one wheel single spinner burnouts cannot be done whatsoever due to the car being thrown sideways dangerously.
However when driving the car in normal drivng it actually handles much nicer and takes gentle curves nicer.The only regret I have is not getting 4:11 gears.I went 3:73 which is a nice compromise for daily driving and long trips.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 02:47 AM   #4
stiddy
Banned

Even though you have a single spinner.. it can still sometimes throw you sideways dangerously....
the point of the LSD is that it will throw you sideways EVERYTIME(its more predicatble).. and you do get better traction, its better to have 2 wheels putting power to the ground then just 1.
A downside is price.. its fairly expensive getting a LSD put in.
with LSD the car genereally handles better, feels better, can take corners alot better, launches harder, grips better.. even in the wet..
its like a woman, treat it without respect and it will hurt you.. like useless said 'snapping sideways dangerously' sometimes without warning.. but be nice to it, and it will be nice to you..
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 AM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Even though you have a single spinner.. it can still sometimes throw you sideways dangerously....
the point of the LSD is that it will throw you sideways EVERYTIME(its more predicatble).. and you do get better traction, its better to have 2 wheels putting power to the ground then just 1.
A downside is price.. its fairly expensive getting a LSD put in.
with LSD the car genereally:

handles better - Yes
feels better - Yes
can take corners alot better - Yes, but a good suspension setup is the best setup here
launches harder - Never noticed - launch overall is still crap without histall
grips better.. even in the wet.. - yes, but not from launch

its like a woman, treat it without respect and it will hurt you.. like useless said 'snapping sideways dangerously' sometimes without warning.. but be nice to it, and it will be nice to you..
LSD is worth the money... but only after you have done other mods... exhaust, extractors, intake, suspension... etc...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 04:37 PM   #6
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LSD = more tyre wear

But other than that they are great
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #7
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
LSD = more tyre wear

But other than that they are great

Nah, not really. thats only if you have a spool or welded diff center will you change tyres like jox. but lsd nah, even conservative wear with conservative driving.

but yeah deffenatly lsd is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
LSD is worth the money... but only after you have done other mods... exhaust, extractors, intake, suspension... etc...
Suspension maybe!

i got lsd on a stock forte with mods being diff, and suspension (el cheapo) comfort gas shocks and tie pedders springs, soft as butter. and it handles much better with the diff
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #8
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LSD is fun but as Stiddy said, you must respect the extra "slippage". I dont know how much it is for after market LSD but factory goes well IMO. How much is the cost for arfter market LSD?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #9
stiddy
Banned

Depends on where you go, but an LSD centre put in, can range from $660(stock gears) to $980(different gears) from what I got quoted.

having a limited slip, the car can still break traction quite easily, but it dosnet stay spinning for very long, whereas with a single spinner it would spin for much longer.. thats from my own experience..
just have to be quick to correct with a lsd lol..
Old 08-05-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
The pros are that a few of us have done it. I was told that traction would be better but instead now both wheels spin.Also the beloved one wheel single spinner burnouts cannot be done whatsoever due to the car being thrown sideways dangerously.
However when driving the car in normal drivng it actually handles much nicer and takes gentle curves nicer.The only regret I have is not getting 4:11 gears.I went 3:73 which is a nice compromise for daily driving and long trips.

Just curious useless, what sort of revs does the 3.73:1 sit on at 100 km/h?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 PM   #11
stiddy
Banned

ive got 3.7's and it sits on about 2300rpm at 110km/h
Old 09-05-2006, 10:28 PM   #12
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Hmm, that's not too bad at all!

Did it make much of a difference to the accelaration and general driveability?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post