Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-07-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
YCA

Cool Ba Gtho

Its about time ford go serious about developing a BA GTHO. After watching Fox last night and seeing the new Shelby Cobra we need that engine sorced to Aus and man handled into a GT platform with 4wd thrown in to get this muscle to the ground and this would make the pre fix HO - handling options mean something.
Ford needs to once and for all blow HSV out of the water and this would be the car to do it, don't you agree. With ford already making this engine in the USA why can't we get the blam things shipped over here for Aus use.
What do you think people???

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #2
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

yea for sure, wouldn't mind one of those engines in my bay

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:52 AM   #3
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford know there is an outcry from motorists for a car above the GT-P, and somewhere around the $100k bracket.

Wether or not it is called the GTHO is a different argument, but we will get a car superior to the GT-P in the future. Ford understand there is a market there, but I am sure it will take a bit of fine tuning. Esspecially if they want to use the GTHO badge ...

Perhaps it will arrive on the platform that follows the BA (my guess anyway) ..
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
parawolf
beep beep

Why oh why would you want it to be AWD?!

Do you want a boring muted drive?

About the only way i'd want AWD would be for 80% rear torque and 20% front torque split in a maximum configuration (with it normally being 95% - 5%)
Old 20-07-2005, 11:56 AM   #5
Steffo
LPG > You

As it stands, neither FPV nor HSV have a car in the $100k bracket (the GTS is no more), so they're pretty even. Perhaps it would be wise to wait for HSV to make a move, and then.. well, better them?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well the GTHO should be along the lines of the Porsche GT3. Stripped out, lightweight seats, carbon fibre front panels and bootlid. Body kits from the V8 supercar to give it some racing heritage, and those kits are carbon fibre anyway.

Lightweight alloys.

Alloy block boss, with the 5.0 cammer bore and triton crank for around 6.0 litres capacity. Or be audacious and bore the block to a size that gives 351 cubes. That's heritage.

Make the engine a mongrel, 1100 rpm idle, heavy duty rods and forged crank, so it can wail to 7000 rpm.

The GTHO was all about racing and mongrel, and this would be it. Sure it would be expensive but your paying for a stripped out racer/club car. Gt is more about cruising.

Just a thought....

David
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Steffo
LPG > You

Why does everyone want a stripper GT-HO? It was NEVER a stripper car, ever. The thing was based on the Fairmont, with more power, etc etc. Its kind of like the TS50 was with T3, or the GT-P is now. A stripper GT-HO would be a mistake. They need to make another Sprint to appease all you people who want a stripper sports car thing.

:
Old 20-07-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb2fairmont
The GTHO was all about racing and mongrel, and this would be it. Sure it would be expensive but your paying for a stripped out racer/club car. Gt is more about cruising.

Just a thought....

David
GTHO's were a high performing Fairmont, not a stripped out racer/club car.

Yes the GT and GT-P have the luxury "Grand Touring" sorted out, but don't have the ultimate performance some would expect or want.

Personally I don't believe FPV should do a GTHO, I believe they should do a car called the "F8 Sprint".

Supercharged, V8 (hence F8) with club car characteristics, perhaps some sparco seats, minimal floor carpet (reduce the carpet weight at least), linear steering rack, Pirelli P Zero Corsa Club tyres, quick shifter, 18" OZ Racing Alloys, 6 Piston AP Racing on fronts with ~360mm rotors and 4 piston rears with ~350mm rotors and adjustable suspension.

Perhaps plastic molded panels where intrusion isn't so important like bonnet, fenders and boot. More purposeful front body kit, flush underbody and underbody rear spoiler and useful rear spoiler.

To me that sounds more like a goer... an F8 Sprint, yes please.
Old 20-07-2005, 01:14 PM   #9
Heeno
Formally knowen as EBus

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
GTHO's were a high performing Fairmont, not a stripped out racer/club car.

Yes the GT and GT-P have the luxury "Grand Touring" sorted out, but don't have the ultimate performance some would expect or want.

Personally I don't believe FPV should do a GTHO, I believe they should do a car called the "F8 Sprint".

Supercharged, V8 (hence F8) with club car characteristics, perhaps some sparco seats, minimal floor carpet (reduce the carpet weight at least), linear steering rack, Pirelli P Zero Corsa Club tyres, quick shifter, 18" OZ Racing Alloys, 6 Piston AP Racing on fronts with ~360mm rotors and 4 piston rears with ~350mm rotors and adjustable suspension.

Perhaps plastic molded panels where intrusion isn't so important like bonnet, fenders and boot. More purposeful front body kit, flush underbody and underbody rear spoiler and useful rear spoiler.

To me that sounds more like a goer... an F8 Sprint, yes please.
hell yea, your an ideas man...with good ideas

Changes: 5 spd manual
Extractors, 2.5in exhaust
AMG Quake 17's w/ maxxis rubba
Lovelle superlows
Cheap a55 Pod Filter

Bike: CR250R 05 :evil3:
Heeno is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #10
parawolf
beep beep

Thanks

Depending on the price of an F8 Sprint, and what sort of warranty you get on it i'd be up for it.

I'd expect to see a warranty that was down on k's, say 50,000km 3 year warranty, however you are covered for non professional drag meets (eg Calder Friday nights), CAMS club race events up to and including something basic licencing say CAMS-2S, and street/public road based rally events like Dutton Rally or Targa Tassie.

I'd expect to see no warranty on certain parts however, such as brake discs.
Old 20-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thats sounds like it would be an awesome addition to the ford range. If only ford would take the risks.
Old 20-07-2005, 01:48 PM   #12
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
As it stands, neither FPV nor HSV have a car in the $100k bracket (the GTS is no more), so they're pretty even. Perhaps it would be wise to wait for HSV to make a move, and then.. well, better them?
Unfortunally Ford/FPV wait for Holden/HSV and this is why Ford are loosing. They need to do something and the GTHO is it.

AWD for traction, it will be the altimate car. As long as it doesn't all down the same hole as the 427 Monaro!

It will need to be based on Fairmont. With most mod's being power/handling instead of luxury.

I can not see Ford having the guts to do it!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #13
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Unfortunally Ford/FPV wait for Holden/HSV and this is why Ford are loosing. They need to do something and the GTHO is it.

AWD for traction, it will be the altimate car. As long as it doesn't all down the same hole as the 427 Monaro!

It will need to be based on Fairmont. With most mod's being power/handling instead of luxury.

I can not see Ford having the guts to do it!
No need for the AWD thing. AWD = weight. We've already got enough of that. I personally think they should do two cars. The F8 Sprint idea is a good one, then make a GT-HO, sharing the engine, but more luxurious etc (Fairmont based). That would be an awesome pair of range toppers.

I agree though, the way they're going now, and have been for the past decade and a bit, pigs will by flying before they ever do any of this.

:
Old 20-07-2005, 02:56 PM   #14
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Parawolf's the man.... :sm_headba

A "F8 Sprint" style car is the way to go. Ford can't afford to do another GTHO, as they'll cop a bagging no matter what they do, luxury or racer. People bagged them for the GT, even though it was meant to be a "Gran Turismo". I believe Ford will do a car above the GT-P, as FPV has always acknowledged that there is a market for them, though the comment has always been "We have nothing planned for release this year".
On a different note they should also bring out a Falcon 500 (Falcon 540?) type of car. XT based with Fairmont Ghia sports susp. and the basic body kit. I know you can option up to this, but it should be a regular model.

Brad....

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #15
parawolf
beep beep

I can't believe it, Steffo and myself are in agreement about two things.

1) The upper most range of FPV should not be AWD, RWD only
2) GTHO should not be a stripped out racer!

*sigh*

I believe FPV should never revive GTHO badging as it is just not going to live up to all of the publics ideas. If they go luxo hi-po tourer, then the sports freaks complain, if they go the F8 Sprint model, then it doesn't align itself correctly to the past.

Personally I think the GT-P is where it is at for a luxo hi-po tourer. Perhaps the F8 Sprint could share the s/c V8 engine into the GT-P but at a lower boost for not so back braking performance.
Old 20-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #16
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by parawolf
I believe FPV should never revive GTHO badging as it is just not going to live up to all of the publics ideas. If they go luxo hi-po tourer, then the sports freaks complain, if they go the F8 Sprint model, then it doesn't align itself correctly to the past.
Thing is, no matter what they do, any new car they make will never, ever be in-line with the past. The GT-HO was built to win the ATCC. They used factory stock cars back then. That's the reason it was so fast etc. The new ones, well, don't have to win anything. How much does an FPV GT and a Ford V8 Supercar have in common? Nothing but the general shape. People need to let go of the past.

:
Old 20-07-2005, 03:40 PM   #17
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

I'm scared.... :
You two (steffo/ parawolf) are making more sense with every post!
Or is it time for my medication again?
Brad....

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 20-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #18
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
How much does an FPV GT and a Ford V8 Supercar have in common? Nothing but the general shape. People need to let go of the past.

And so do we as Ford fans, we need to drop the idea of the GTHO making a comeback, and then, only then might we be surprised.

Personally, i want my FPV F8 Sprint.
Old 20-07-2005, 04:12 PM   #19
big_pete
Sublime

The FPV F8 Sprint sounds awsome, however i think FPV could use the GTHO name for advertising and sales as im sure people would buy the GTHO just because of the badge.
if say an F8 sprint anf GTHO went on sale, i dont think the F8 would sell as well (even if it was better etc) just because people will want the GTHO nametag
Old 20-07-2005, 04:15 PM   #20
Allen
You win again, gravity!!!

Im just waiting for FPV to do something with the LWB Fairlane/LTD platform... Im still drooling over the Galaxie 540 concept that FPV showed at their open day a few years back...

As for the HO, the original HO's were grand tourers that would be able to not only race around bathurst ect, but to perform as a comfortable long distance high speed cruiser... so i think we already have that in the GT/GT-P. But it seems that everyone is crying for more power and street cred/bragging rights...

I suppose its only fair that FPV build what people want, and an upmarket GT-P with perhaps a driveline from the new Shelby Mustang GT500 would do the trick... they are basically the same motor anyway.

SOON TO BE A TRACK CAR
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 04:17 PM   #21
Steffo
LPG > You

I still think it would be a good idea to have both on, not to just tart up the GT-P even more.. look at HSV's previous range...

HSV Clubsport
HSV Clubsport R8
HSV GTS300

So.. our range would look something like

FPV GT
FPV GT-P
FPV GT-HO

and then if you want the stripper.. FPV F8 Sprint (HSV SV6000 competitior I guess). Would make a very complete range if you ask me. Doesn't have to be the GT-HO name, can be something else, like FPV GT Ghia or something (can't think of a name right now.. but you get the idea).

:
Old 20-07-2005, 04:20 PM   #22
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe making a turbo variant would make a more successful seller as a racer? GTR style. Everyone knows they can be modded easily.
Old 20-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #23
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des
I'm scared.... :
You two (steffo/ parawolf) are making more sense with every post!
Or is it time for my medication again?
Brad....
We are making sense because everyone knows that a GTHO is not coming back. For a high performance touring sedan, seriously 290kW and 520Nm is a lot by any stretch of the imagination - however it certainly isn't 'supercar' territory.

Their is more of a market for a F8 Sprint, something that runs low 12's every day, basically so you don't need an official ANDRA Super Street drag licence, or actually that might be a "GOOD" thing to promote. When you buy your car, you tick the box for a CAMS-2S licence and for your Super Street drag licence.

Hmmm there is something to consider FPV...
Old 20-07-2005, 04:27 PM   #24
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mmm low 12's That alone would sell cars by the bucketload.
Old 20-07-2005, 04:30 PM   #25
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
Maybe making a turbo variant would make a more successful seller as a racer? GTR style. Everyone knows they can be modded easily.
In the cramped engine bay, and on Ford/FPV production line, Supercharging is far more a preferred packaging form factor than twin turbo's (similar to APS). Also Ford US have supercharging expertise in this marketplace.

Oh, also have a selection of rear diffs at build time - and upgrades/replacements orderable through Ford Spares on provision of SIDO/VIN. I see a 9" in the future.
Old 20-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #26
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was thinking more about using the 6 cylinder as the racer. Lighter weight, more scope for easy power, etc etc. As far as 8's go the scharger would be my pick too.

Of course people who want a GTHO wouldnt buy a T6.
Old 20-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #27
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Mmm low 12's That alone would sell cars by the bucketload.
It would aslo get the Media and those types interested..............and not in a good way
Old 20-07-2005, 04:59 PM   #28
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_pete
It would aslo get the Media and those types interested..............and not in a good way
I don't know if you'd have as much of a problem as before though. Remember last time the brake and suspension tech. wasn't up to the speed capable of the top range muscle cars of the 70's. That is what the uproar was about. There are a lot more 12 or low 13 sec stock production cars out there today, and no-one is raising an eyebrow. These days manufacturers MUST provide the whole package.
Brad....

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:

Old 20-07-2005, 05:00 PM   #29
parawolf
beep beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansedgli
I was thinking more about using the 6 cylinder as the racer. Lighter weight, more scope for easy power, etc etc. As far as 8's go the scharger would be my pick too.

Of course people who want a GTHO wouldnt buy a T6.
Ah see thats the thing young Skywalker, I never mentioned what V8 engine I wanted in it

Hmm Cammer 5.0L supercharged? py:
Alloy 5.4L Supercharged? :

I like this following car so much in regards to its design, it should be used as a basis for F8 Sprint.

Old 20-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #30
YCA

Default Ba Gtho

Thanks for the input people. I am amazed at some of the comments but am still glad they are up there. I think that there is always a need for a luxury tourer in Aus that has the legs and grunt to take you anywhere in our big country. No need for a great top speed (240 would do) this is why I have a tricked up Suzuki GSXR1300 Hayabusa, top speed down Gardner straight at Philip Island 320klms.
If we are going to re vamp the GTHO badge though we need it to be special.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post