Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-12-2016, 05:23 PM   #1
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fun evening at the police station for me....

Pro tip: get a log book...an official one, not just a notepad...and keep the fricking thing up to date with places and TIMES you filled up.

Last night I was visited by the local Plod, looking into a "road incident" (wouldn't say what exactly) from back at the end of July. Wanted me to come in to ask a few questions, nothing to worry about. It happened in Capalaba, Brisbane, and I knew damn well I wasn't even there on the bike at that time.

Sat for officially recorded interview...charges could be assault, which shocked me.
What happened was this: at 10am on the 29th July on some road in Capalaba, a car driver said a bike was pulled up beside him at the lights, light went green, he drove off and "felt a bump". Bike then pulled him over...no idea how...and parked in front of him. The rider then abused the guy and gave him a shove with an open hand, then "punched off the rear view mirror", and rode off.

Guess whose rego number the guy in the car gave....?

Muggins me, that's who. The cops asked me to describe my bike...black GSX1400...what I wore when riding...black jeans usually, boots, black with some grey trim Dryrider mesh and fabric jacket, dark grey helmet. Then asked me to describe my hair colour and height.
Apparently this all matched the description.
Now, putting aside the fact that a huge percentage of bikes are black, and that most riders wear black gear and have dark coloured helmets, this was in Brisbane.
I luckily had a logbook I kept for my old Celica, and could prove (to my satisfaction at least) that at that time of the morning I was driving down the highway somewhere near Miriam Vale on my way to the Sunshine Coast, where I go every year for the Nambour Swap Meet. I also luckily had a photo in my phone lookng through the windscreen of my Celica (bright red bonnet visible) that showed a truck that was causing the highway to be blocked somewhere between Miriam Vale and Gin Gin, where it had lost a load of logs. The time on the picture said 29 July, 11:42. The younger of the two cops said "But it doesn't show the year does it?" (put the picture on a computer and look at properties and it says the entire date and time of course). I even told them they could call the friend I stayed with and ask her if I had my bike or not.

I think I made as good a case as I could that there was no possible way I was on my bike in Brisbane at that time...but who knows? Now I have to sit here and wait to see what happens. It was almost like I was guilty and had to somehow prove my innocence. If they call again, I'm not going in there without legal representation.

From now on, I'm keeping a proper log book and using one of those apps to photograph each and every bloody fuel receipt I get, as well as taking pictures of everywhere I stop (with exif data turned on for the pictures to show the GPS location as well as the usual "date and time").

I also kind of wonder...and forgot to ask...why it's taken them nearly five months to come and ask me about it, when they can look up a rego plate in five seconds and see who owns it and where they live...

Amazing how one moron quoting the wrong rego number can fugg up your entire day and make you start worrying...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
10 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
71cop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Fun evening at the police station for me....

If you weren't there then they can't prove beyond doubt that you were there. I couldn't imagine how someone's recollection of a number plate could stand up in court, completely different if the incident was recorded on dash cam or some such thing.
71cop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Not nice at all, lucky you took the snaps... I would've been peaking out wondering wtf lol.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 05:45 PM   #4
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71cop View Post
If you weren't there then they can't prove beyond doubt that you were there. I couldn't imagine how someone's recollection of a number plate could stand up in court, completely different if the incident was recorded on dash cam or some such thing.
Neither can I. I went to the Transport department site and looked at the "check rego" thing and put in a few variations of motorbike plate that are close-ish to mine, and came up with a few other bikes...trail bikes, a maxi scooter, etc. They never actually told me WHAT sort of bike the guy claimed it was, and I forgot to ask.
The cops were quite adamant that the guy quoted MY plate and had "my" description. I said a couple of times "Well obviously he's got the wrong plate", but they just kept asking who has access to the bike, anyone else ride it, are you SURE you weren't down there, etc.

Also went through my notepad logbook making sure it was all in correct order and then he asked about how much fuel and how many kilometers I had done at each fill up. I showed him the one on the morning I left, and he said "It only takes $38 to fill your car up?"...I controlled myself and said "That was just to top up the tank", instead of saying "Of course not idiot...you don't know how full it was before I filled it up"...

Now I just have to sit and wait.

Luckily there are a few avenues I can go to which prove I was where I said I was...bank transaction records I checked showing I withdrew fifty bucks from an ATM that morning in Gracemere at 9am, the fuel fillups at a few servos along the way, etc...my friend would sign a stat dec in a heartbeat saying I had been in my car at her place...there is the guy on the northside of Brisbane where I went on Sunday to pick up an inlet manifold for my Charger that I had bought off him on Gumtree (he had an import Jap car, a Lexus V8, and we chatted about my old Celica for some time).

I still think they shouldn't just blindly take the word of someone who...if what happened as he relates did happen...would have been in shock and upset.
Old 19-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #5
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dash cam FTW.
Guess that doesn't help if you are parked during the time of the incident. They will just claim you were driving without the camera on.

But I guess the problem with bikes is everyone who knows nothing about bikes think they all look the same. Quoting the wrong car number plate and it happening to the the exact same make and colour is pretty low.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 05:51 PM   #6
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Dash cam FTW.
Guess that doesn't help if you are parked during the time of the incident. They will just claim you were driving without the camera on.

But I guess the problem with bikes is everyone who knows nothing about bikes think they all look the same. Quoting the wrong car number plate and it happening to the the exact same make and colour is pretty low.
Exactly..."black bike, 180cm tall guy wearing black pants and a black jacket and dark colored helmet" would fit probably 50% of bikes on the road...even ignoring the fact my bike was parked far away under the house in Gracemere at the time, that alone should have made cops wary of his description.

I told my friend about it and she made an interesting point..."What if they only had a partial plate and yours was the first one that popped up in the system when they did a search...?"
Old 19-12-2016, 05:59 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of work involved to track down a person over a bit of push and shove.
Almost as much as you've needed to do to show it wasn't you.

I'd have very little (if anything) in the way of evidence to prove my whereabouts on a given day 5 months ago. I'd be pretty annoyed that I've been wrongly accused and having my time wasted like this.
ford71V8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2016, 06:26 PM   #8
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another point is yes, I do in fact have a dashcam in the Celica...but it doesn't save video from five months ago...
If they'd have contacted me, say, the next day or even a few days later, I could have just said "Wait on...I have my dashcam footage here"...end of story.
3 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
nstg8a

They have nothing. That's it's taken five months, and they didn't charge you with anything shows that.
They're probably interviewing everyone with plates close to what the cage driver claimed he saw.

I have never gone to the station for 'questioning' voluntarily and if I'm detained then I engage a lawyer.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 06:37 PM   #10
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
They have nothing. That's it's taken five months, and they didn't charge you with anything shows that.
They're probably interviewing everyone with plates close to what the cage driver claimed he saw.

I have never gone to the station for 'questioning' voluntarily and if I'm detained then I engage a lawyer.
They did seem pretty casual about it all. Asked the usual questions that I imagine I would want asked if it was me, but yes, I did start to get the feeling they were "fishing" for the owner of a plate close to whatever the guy stated...which by the paperwork they had I could see was actually my plate number.
Old 19-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #11
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it happens more than we hear about. People make mistakes in the heat of the moment, but the cop's attitude is the big problem here. OK, he needs to weed out the lies from the truth at times, but when you have clear, factual evidence, they should have backed off & examined the scenario a bit better. Like the post above, ,ost likely the first hit matching that partial plate.

Brother-in-law had a similar incident about 10 years back when he had regular plates on his old Chev, but it was an even clearer case of mistaken identity from human error. Apparently someone with his numberplates was illegally parked, in a suburb he's never been to, many hours away, on a weekday when he was at work. The best part - they tried to assault the parking cop as he wrote out the ticket.

First he knew was from the fine being sent to him, which we wrote a letter back saying he was at work that day over 4 hours away from where this offence was noted. Then he got a visit from the cops about the fine & assault.

Only after half hour of discussion about getting sufficient proof to say he was at work & all the other "guilty until proven innocent" assumptions did the cop look properly at the report that said "white Toyota van" - in his haste the bomber had written the rego down wrong.

An aircon tech mate copped a speed camera fine only a couple of years back on his work ute - which sits in the driveway on weekends, when this apparently happened.
The other thing that didn't add up - he'd never been to the central western NSW town where it supposedly happened.
So he asked for a copy of the photo. The photo showed a similar vehicle to his (but without his signwriting) and the numberplate under the back was in a different spot - so it wasn't his vehicle (but to a suspicious cop, both could be altered).
The actual plate was blurry from red dust, but legible - to us. His plate was something like AAA-##R and this was AAA-##B (example only) - the last letter was slightly different, and hard to pick out. Putting both into the RMS online rego check showed the same make, model & colour vehicle - but the chances of a white hilux are pretty good anyway - so even cross-checking details would have come up as a match.
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2016, 07:38 PM   #12
LTD Ute
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hang on a minute, you have to have log books to drive your personal vehicles in QLD?

WTF, is this Australia or some police state?

XByoot - "Yeah I think the Utes are the new coupes...you get as much rust at a far cheaper price"
LTD Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD Ute View Post
Hang on a minute, you have to have log books to drive your personal vehicles in QLD?

WTF, is this Australia or some police state?
If it is an 'old' Celica as stated it could be on Club rego.

In Victoria I believe you need to keep log books...
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2016, 11:08 PM   #14
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Innocent until proven guilty.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2016, 11:39 PM   #15
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn't have gone to the station - period.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
XByoot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mate,that is a terrible thing to put up with...just a thought here,some idiot isn't trying to set you up for any bizarre reason? Im sure as you say,the cops were just having a quiet night and went fishing to see if anyone with plates close to whatever the guy quoted owned up to the event...but I just thought it was worth a mention.
XByoot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2016, 03:04 AM   #17
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

If u went to the bank where u were then there will prob be footage and/or a computer record of the transaction
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2016, 09:31 AM   #18
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Can't have been me sir. I kick the mirror of errant drivers; I don't punch the mirror."
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2016, 09:43 AM   #19
Sioso
irregular member

It's taken 5 months because you are probably the 20th person they have interviewed.
The driver never got the exact plate, he got part of it.
You have nothing to worry about.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2016, 11:11 AM   #20
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
If it is an 'old' Celica as stated it could be on Club rego.

In Victoria I believe you need to keep log books...
Nope, regular rego...but luckily for me I've always liked to keep an eye on how much fuel I'm using, etc, so write it all down in a notebook. I do the same with my bike and with our Triton and every other car we've had.
Really glad I've been so **** about doing that now...
Old 20-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #21
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2011G6E- the truth invariably comes out- so you have nothing to worry about. Your strong points are your alibi, and all the electronic data which points to you being where you say you were. Make sure you collate that data now so you can put it into evidence if required.

And - any further request by Police- refuse- and provide them a sworn statement attesting where you were and denying all involvement- and get a lawyer who specialises in criminal law to assist you do the statement.

Your story brings to mind my fear. I was in Melbourne many years ago-and called the RTA (whatever its equivalent was) for some mundane reason, to be told my licence had been cancelled for 12 years- for this and that offence- some heavy stuff. I said Whaaat- they confirmed my details - full name and DOB.

RTA say yes- it was you, you were in this court on X date, convicted- and I am thinking this is some wild nightmare I am in.

Another 10 minutes odd phone work, transpires there is another guy with my exact first name and surname, DOB, only difference was my middle name is Mark- his was Matthew or whatever, and the computer system just took the fist name, initial of second name, and then surname.

This guy was a real crim, and when I left Melbourne I was happy.

Anyways, I was sitting in court a few months ago and a colleague comes over and says -uhh see you were convicted and made the paper hey. Turns out this bloke has now scuttled his way up to Newcastle, and is lurking about doing various nefarious stuff up here now.

Just waiting for the day that my front door gets broken down during a raid.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #22
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

I know many don't like the "Big Brother" society with our digital footprint left everywhere we go.
But in circumstances as the OP , it can be your proof of innocence.
Card purchases for fuel etc. date stamp and show location can be used in your favour.
Police use the digital trail all the time for convictions.
Just make sure you have a crime free lifestyle.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2016, 09:12 PM   #23
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandsharon View Post
Wouldn't have gone to the station - period.
The Golden Rule: Don't talk to police. The police are trained to not trust you and you should likewise not trust them. If asked questions, kindly state "no comment" until they pack up and leave.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #24
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had a simular incident here in WA
they recon the plate was mine (I couldn't read it) but the photo was of a work hiace van and ive never had one
and I wouldn't entertain them as I knew it wasn't me so they dragged me in to court where I produced a fine I received at the same time as the incident but 500 k's away and a letter proving the fine was mine from the issuing officer so they dropped it
whilst in court that day I appealed the fine as well and it was dropped
the fine was for riding a farm quad , unlicensed and unable to obtain one and me with out a bike licence for not wearing a helmet but nothing else whilst herding a flock of sheep across a road in the middle of nowhere around 20 years ago , magistrate laughed that I was fined for not having the helmet in that situation

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2016, 11:11 PM   #25
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
The Golden Rule: Don't talk to police. The police are trained to not trust you and you should likewise not trust them. If asked questions, kindly state "no comment" until they pack up and leave.
I never say anything but I listen to everything they say,said and used in evidence works both ways.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #26
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
and me with out a bike licence for not wearing a helmet but nothing else whilst herding a flock of sheep across a road in the middle of nowhere around 20 years ago , magistrate laughed that I was fined for not having the helmet in that situation
Yea- riding a quad bike while herding sheep across the road wearing nothing while doing it -would have been a sight for sure-what was the cop thinking fining you for not wearing a helmet-was she a female cop that appreciated what she saw

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-12-2016, 12:59 AM   #27
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Exactly! When ever I am asked any questions by the POo-leece i simply say, " with all due respect officer, I will not be answering any of your questions". I repeat this and always ask the questions, if I am free to go or am I being detained etc. But never answer their questions.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 02:56 AM   #28
Twinkles

I always answer their questions. I've nothing to hide and I believe we have a civic duty to support and help the law enforcement community where we can.
Twinkles is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 03:53 AM   #29
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I feel your pain. I had a similar situation a few years ago. Had spent the night at a mates on the booze and was making my way home, on foot and very drunk. 4 cop cars pull up around me, cops everywhere and tell me I am under arrest for assault. Get cuffed and taken to the local lock up. Cop sits there interviewing me and says that I bashed a guy in the back of a taxi coming from the dirt bike track. I explained I had been invited out there but had stayed at a mates place drinking instead. Cop says it was me and I fit the description. I ask what was the description and he say jeans, black t-shirt, shaved head, facial hair and tats. I explained that he had described half the town and he said "half the town is not out tonight but you are". I asked about the mentioned tattoos and he said that the guy had tats on his arms. I pointed out I didn't have any on my arms and he pointed to one on my hand and said that's on your arm. The interviewing went like this for some time until he said they drove past me with the victim in the car and he pointed at me and said I had bashed him.
Got let out the next day with a date for court. I went straight to the taxi base and left my name and number in a hope the cabby would talk with me. He did and I met the cab driver. The cab driver said it wasn't me, which I knew, and we went together to the police station. The driver explained that I didn't fit the description he had given the police the night before, average height and wide build where as I am almost 7 foot. The coppers said too bad and I would get my day in court.
I turn up to court with a signed statement from the cab driver, statements from my mate and his wife that I was there until the early hours when I left on foot as I got sick of waiting for a taxi, statements from the guys at the dirt bike club saying I was invited out there but never showed up. Three court appearances later the police finally drop all charges.
I could't believe that with all the evidence I had and presented to the police station that they still wanted to pursue it and waste not only my time but also the courts time on something that could have been resolved had they done their jobs.
The thing that annoyed me the most was within 1/2 hour of being released the morning after being arrested I had the name of the guy that actually commited the assault and he doesn't look anything like me.

Last edited by syco26; 21-12-2016 at 04:07 AM.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 09:55 AM   #30
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm...isn't the number-plate recognition/GPS data supposed to be available for this sort of thing??? There was quite a bit of fuss in NSW when introduced, as many saw it as an invasion of privacy. The size of the database generated by this system must be huge, 'though!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post