Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-01-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
trink88
Starter Motor

Default 2007 LT TDCi Shopping

Hi,

I'm interested in a 2007 LT TDCi Focus for sale locally.

Does anyone know of any really obvious things I should look out for when viewing the car. I'm fairly mechanically minded so I know the basics and i am trying to find out if there's any specific Focus related quick looks/checks one can do to reduce the risk of buying a lemon.

Thanks

Andy

trink88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2014, 08:53 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2007 LT TDCi Shopping

check that the heater core is not leaking as is common fault with the south african built LT model,and really expensive to fix cause the dash has to come out.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2014, 08:58 PM   #3
trink88
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
check that the heater core is not leaking as is common fault with the south african built LT model,and really expensive to fix cause the dash has to come out.
Thanks, How do I check whether it's leaking? Is there a particular place it leaks? Does the heater need to be on/have run for a while before it leaks?

Thanks Andy
Old 04-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check carefully for rust around the rear hatchback and make sure it has been serviced every 15000kms. Diesels love clean air and oil.
My 2008 is up to 152000 and still goes like a train, you will love the 320 newton metres of torque.
A car that has done long commutes on motorway or country roads will be superior to one that's been used as a suburban hack.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the heater pipes where they join the core under the dash are the critical area. Probably will not leak much unless the heater is turned on
Old 05-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #6
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If it has the plastic cover on top of the engine, take it off and look for diesel around the top of the injectors, or any smoke coming from the top of the injectors, mine blew its injector return line and split 3rd injector seal, mine is an LV but they have the same engine.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
trink88
Starter Motor

Hi, I've just found out that it was in 20km/h collision into the back of another car. Is this a real concern? The owner says everything was repaired by insurance etc but what i'm now concerned about other things which may have jolted.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by trink88 View Post
Hi, I've just found out that it was in 20km/h collision into the back of another car. Is this a real concern? The owner says everything was repaired by insurance etc but what i'm now concerned about other things which may have jolted.
the only way to tell is to do a proper inspection of the damage. for a rear end collision you'll want to be looking for structural damage under the carpet in the boot. Take off the cover for the spare wheel and even ask to take out the spare wheel. You may be able to get a good idea of any structural damage. If insure, ask a trusted mechanic to inspect it for you.
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2014, 04:25 PM   #9
elgreko

I'm selling mine!! great condition lots of extras in the car 95000kms! 2008 model PM me if interested.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:54 PM   #10
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trink88 View Post
Why take the risk or effort.

Plenty of others for sale.

By the way just had my front and rear brake parts replaced (first time touched) at 155000. Oh and the battery last weekend after 5.5 years since new!

They are a bloody good car, not a great handler but power and fuel economy wise bloody great mate.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2014, 07:45 PM   #11
trink88
Starter Motor

Hi, Thank you all for the messages. Looked at the car and found that the clutch vibrated when depressed which is indicative of dual mass flywheel replacement and there was an awful lot of blow-by when the oil filler cap was off. We have since bought a Mazda 3 brand new and are not happy with it's road noise. Terrible on the coarse bitumen roads around us (fine near the garage in town though). After having fords for years I know why next time i will go back to ford...
Old 11-02-2014, 08:02 PM   #12
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should not expect the Ford to have less road noise The Mazda and ford share the same platform and hatchs are noisier than sedans