Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default How's this for sneaky.....

Spotted a very crafty little piece of revenue raising this morning near Homebase Intersection in wagga (those familiar will know the one Im talkking about).

Tucked in underneath the large bushes was constable plod with his radar, getting people as they ran the lights or sped through them and went round the corner. Round the corner was plod #2 waiting with the ticket book.

Now I'm not raising an issue with that, I mean it's sneaky and all but if you get caught you get caught, I'm more wondering about how they could get away with it - you see, plod #1 was with his radar on the footpath under the bushes - in his car!

I'm more curious as to how he got up there, and whether he's legally allowed to park on a footpath? I got a parking ticket this morning, but somehow I doubt he will get one.

Anyone care to shed some light on whether it's actually legal for them to be doing this? Oh and let's not turn it into another cop bashing thread.

Old 30-08-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

it would be illegal for an un-manned camera to be placed there, but a manned camera is perfectly legal last I checked.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
JD86
DELANY

thats a good point, he's probably allowed to park there just cause he's a cop, that ****s me, they should park the car and use the camera in legal parking areas, if the average person cant park there its probably because its unsafe, so why can he park there
Old 30-08-2006, 01:23 PM   #4
Twisted
Contributing Member

I was actually thinking about something similar to this the other day. If I am caught speeding my an unmanned radar and camera and then pulled over 100m down the road and fined for speeding by a cop in his car do both fines stick? Obviously I wouldn’t know about the radar fine until it turned up a month or so later but could you take it down to the station and plead a reasonable case if they were only a couple of minutes apart? Or would you just end up with a double fine for the one incident?

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #5
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Some One got caught by a mobile speed camera that was fixed to a car but the car was parked in a Bus Zone.

He took picture of the mobile speed camera in the Bus Zone BUT all that happened was the operator got a parking fine.

All the speeding motorists still got their fines even though the mobile speed camera was illegally parked.

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

double fines I am sure, ask casper about the finger incident ......... HAHAHA

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 01:38 PM   #7
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA2BA
double fines I am sure, ask casper about the finger incident ......... HAHAHA
only got the one fine.. still havent recieved a court summons for it yet and no.. never did pay it. Whats that? 2 years + now?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Sneaky, and unfortunately, perfectly legal to do.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 01:43 PM   #9
Chris
AFF.com.au

Dont like it? then adhere to the speed limit.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 02:04 PM   #10
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Where are you located Chris? In the last 3 years all but one of my speeding fines has been for 4-7 kms over the limit, lookout for me the big speed demon lol. Simply trying to navigate through traffic will see most people fluctuate +/- 5kms or so from the limit. Unfortunately in Vic we only get a 3km/hr allowance, so if your in a 100km/h zone, 104 is hardly a noticeable difference but will still see you fined, and yes i've had that fine.

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
MYT
Cruizn in my 'lane

If they are parked in an area or a manner which is normally deemed illegal or unsafe for us, it is also illegal for them. But all in all you still end up with your fine because you're doing the wrong thing!
MYT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 02:28 PM   #12
Ozfords
Girls! Drink! ****! ****!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Tucked in underneath the large bushes was constable plod with his radar, getting people as they ran the lights or sped through them and went round the corner. Round the corner was plod #2 waiting with the ticket book.
Heck, I've got no problem with that. Sure I'm a cop, but look what you wrote, specifically in relation to traffic lights.

Traffic lights, for some people are still game, inanimate objects that without a red light camera don't mean diddly-squat. They know there is a delay where all lights are red so they either, speed up and race through the red or take the foot of their brake and sneak into the intersection to beat others.

Traffic lights should be simple, but collisions still occur at them, for some reason. Everyone should treat traffic lights defensivley instead of offensivly.

1993 ED Fairmont Sedan - I6 - Colbalt Blue
- XH Snorkel
- Superlow Kings Springs and KYB Shocks
- Cross Drilled and Slotted DBA front Discs
- 18" pre-AU GT-P Alloy Wheels
- Ford Original Bootlid Spoiler
Ozfords is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 02:45 PM   #13
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I used to catch the bus to TAFE, I once saw a copper standing behind a tree in the park with their radar gun. No cop car could be seen. Is this legal for them to do?
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #14
b2tf
not here much anymore

If you re-read my post you'll see that I dont have a problem with it, I was only enquiring as to whether they were allowed to park in the area that they were.
Old 30-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #15
VSSII

So you don't have a problem but you call it sneaky.......Its ok to have your own opinion and state it. Plenty worse is said in here! C'mon.. man up! Say you hate it!

The term 'revenue raising' gets bandied about on this site more than every other I visit put together! When will you understand that the officers don't get the money, The Commissioner doesn't get the money and if there was ever a quota system don't you think some disgruntled officers would have spilled the beans by now? Or is it all a big conspiracy?

I hate red light runners and so do all other motorcyclists. Smash 'em.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 05:50 PM   #16
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted
Where are you located Chris? In the last 3 years all but one of my speeding fines has been for 4-7 kms over the limit, lookout for me the big speed demon lol. Simply trying to navigate through traffic will see most people fluctuate +/- 5kms or so from the limit. Unfortunately in Vic we only get a 3km/hr allowance, so if your in a 100km/h zone, 104 is hardly a noticeable difference but will still see you fined, and yes i've had that fine.
My last infringment was for 65 in a 60 zone. Picture was taken at the bottom of a hill. As you can see, I, like you am also a demon as far as Bracks is concerned.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:02 PM   #17
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSSII
So you don't have a problem but you call it sneaky.......Its ok to have your own opinion and state it. Plenty worse is said in here! C'mon.. man up! Say you hate it!

The term 'revenue raising' gets bandied about on this site more than every other I visit put together! When will you understand that the officers don't get the money, The Commissioner doesn't get the money and if there was ever a quota system don't you think some disgruntled officers would have spilled the beans by now? Or is it all a big conspiracy?

I hate red light runners and so do all other motorcyclists. Smash 'em.
You mean like the Melbourne City Parking Officers who had no quota? "ooooh woops, well maybe we have had a quota for a number of years."

I think EVERYONE understands officers and commissioners don't get the money..duuurh. But don't tell me there aren't any KPI's in the department
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 07:04 PM   #18
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

this reminds me of a setup a few months back...
copper one was down a side street, and whenever he caught a speeder he would radio the one in the next street about 500m away and he would pull them over...
cunning and a waste of resources? yes i think so... but not illegal...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #19
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
only got the one fine.. still havent recieved a court summons for it yet and no.. never did pay it. Whats that? 2 years + now?
Have you heard of let sleeping dogs lye and to not talk about things like that.

Expect it to come soon now :

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:01 PM   #20
Disco1986

maybe dont run redlights and speed, and thier would be no problems, or if u do you will probly get cought from time to time. i mean stopping the car on a yellow/red light light and keeping the speedo in the right speed isnt Exactly difficult! its your choice
Disco1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #21
Josh_XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Austin there using this now in wagga, i saw that also, also i saw an cop on a normal dirt bike looking like a normal clothed biker (non cop) and he was hiding a camera under his jacket, up the road was a police car booking the people for speeding, they must be desperate to get there quota.
Josh_XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2006, 09:08 PM   #22
EBII Fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco1986
maybe dont run redlights and speed, and thier would be no problems, or if u do you will probly get cought from time to time. i mean stopping the car on a yellow/red light light and keeping the speedo in the right speed isnt Exactly difficult! its your choice
Well I have been fined once. Pulled over by a copper, and copped it for 64km. Now the problem is, my speedo was sitting on 60km at the time. Is that fair? Had it still be 10% tolerence, as that is how the speedo had been designed, I wouldn't have lossed any points. I got the fine also after just having picked up my car.

The system is **** as there are millions of cars out there, made to the 10% tolerence rule and not 3km tolerence. That is pure revenue raising by the Bracks government.
EBII Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #23
VSSII

I couldn't live in Vic with their ridiculous tolerances for speeding. How it was introduced I'll never know. Why the RACQ and the like have let it slide I will never understand. Quite simply of course speed contributes to many motor vehicle accidents. It's not that hard to understand. But this kind of enforcement is just plain stupid! This is a glaring example of why speed enforcement should be left to the police. Not VICRoads, not private contractors.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 08:23 AM   #24
LTDHO
The one and only

Hold on.
To the 1st officer was catching the offenders but the 2nd one up the road was handing the infringments?
or
Both first and 2nd handing out infringments?
If it the top one, then that's fine and safer than the lower option.

IMO red lights aer not policed nearly as much as they should! Way to many accidents are caused there.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:17 AM   #25
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i hate revenue raisers, but i love this thread, someone runs a red light risking all others lives and nasty cop is parked illegally catching them,complain about where cop was hiding,wow im full of sympathy,(NOT)having ridden Motorbikes for years,and having Grandkids on their way to school, id love it if Police spent more time doing things like this, maybe we would treat them with more respect knowing they were out there making the roads safer for people seeing the lights are green and driving off taking the little ones to school thinking alls right with the world when BANG, mr aresehole has slammed them right in the side trying to run the lights.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #26
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I understand that police may break the law in order to stop others from breaking the law; driving over the limit to catch a speeding motorist, etc, but as I have posted before, I question the rationale about breaking the law (parking on the footpath) in the hope of catching someone breaking the law. If no one was speeding, ran red lights or what-ever they were hunting in b2tf's original post, then it seems as if the only lawbreakers would be those whose job it is to police the laws!
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:00 PM   #27
fangq

[QUOTE=b2tf]Spotted a very crafty little piece of revenue raising this morning near Homebase Intersection in wagga (those familiar will know the one Im talkking about).

snip

So, what happens if you wish to see the supposed infringement ( on the radar). btw, do hand held radars have a still frame picture that shows who was in the " frame " when the reading was taken ?
Steve
fangq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #28
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Quote:

Here here, agree with that 110%!!!

EVERYONE knows the law, you break it, you have made that decision, too bad buddy!!
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 09:15 PM   #29
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

I spend a fair bit of time in the ACT, where mobile speed cameras and traffic light cameras are EVERYWHERE, so i must admit you become lax when you return to NSW, but as far as I know any police officer checking speeds must have the car visible from 500 metres. I know for a fact that they hide in the bushes and bridges on the Hume, maybe this is a call to your local cop shop or the NRMA to find the real law.
05MkIIFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #30
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
EVERYONE knows the law, you break it, you have made that decision, too bad buddy!!
I just love people who NEVER EVER break the law.

FWIW where b2tf's Mr plod was parked he could not have seen any red light runners due to the traffic light sequence, and b2tf never said he was breaking the law. He was merely questioning where the Police car was parked. -to get the HP car where it was parked plod would have had to drive along at least 50mtrs of footpath!-

Oh, and Disco. Your spellcheckers batteries need replacing