Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #1
PETE_XR6

Default Vfacts July 2010

http://theage.drive.com.au/motor-new...804-11b5d.html

Local manufacturers are struggling to match imported competition in the sales race.

Locally made cars can't keep up with the flood of imported vehicles racing out of showrooms. The latest VFacts sales released today figures show Australian-built cars lagging behind imported models in the fight for market share.

Results for July saw Holden, Ford and Toyota's locally-built cars down 6.0 per cent compared with last July, while imported cars were up by 12.4 per cent. Sales figures year-to-date tell a similar story, with domestic cars only up 5.8 per cent as cars built off-shore are up 17.4%.

But Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries chief executive Andrew McKellar defends the local brands.

"The growth figures overall are not as strong as imported models," McKeller tells Drive. "But overall, sales of locally-made vehicles are up."

He is confident that new models due over the next 12 months, including an updated Holden Commodore range later this year, will help turn the results around.

"Over the next 12 months we'll have new locally made product arriving in the market and that will have a positive impact of sales," he says.

"It's a very competitive market. But the Commodore remains the best selling car and has done for the past 13 years."

He believes the decision of the local producers to look for more export opportunities is key to the long term viability of Australia's manufacturing industry.

"At the end of the day it is a volume game," McKellar says.

But as local cars struggle cars produced in emerging markets, notably China and India, are finding favour with local buyers.

Currently Great Wall Motors is the only Chinese brand in Australia but the Chery has been confirmed for a local launch later in 2010.

Suzuki imports the Alto small car from India and several other manufacturers are looking to establish factories in countries including India and China to take advantage of low cost labour.

"I think Australian consumers, and motorists, are always going to look for a good deal," McKellar says. "If some of these emerging markets are going to come in and offer competitive products I think Australians will give them a fair go."

Overall new car sales remain strong in 2010 despite a small dip in July. In total 82,376 new vehicles were sold in July, an increase of 9.3 per cent on the same month last year. However, it was down 24.2 per cent on June sales figures as buyers took advantage of end of financial year deals.

SUVs continue to pump up the market, with sales up by close to 30 per cent in the first seven months of the year.

McKellar says FCAI believes the market could still pass the million units mark this year if final quarter sales as strong.

PETE_XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
bmorris

Just goes to show today's society of wanting something for nothing. And when your competing with low cost labour in developing countries, I understand it must be getting very hard for manufacturers.

Plus with buyers these days having less and less general car knowledge, price tags tend to play a bigger part in the buying decision process, again making cheap imports more attractive.
bmorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default Mazda gives Ford a fright in July sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by RON HAMMERTON

Missed by that much: Strong sales of models such as the CX-7 almost helped Mazda to tip Ford out of third place in July.

Just one vehicle separates Mazda from top-three result as its sales jump 22 per cent

MAZDA came within just one vehicle of a top-three sales result for the first time in July, just failing to relegate Ford to fourth place by the slimmest of margins, 7375 units to 7374, according to official VFACTS figures out today.

Buoyed by strong sales of its Mazda3 small car – the second best-selling car in Australia last month – along with the Mazda2 and the CX-7 SUV, Mazda sales surged 22 per cent over the same month last year as the Japanese importer grabbed a nine per cent monthly share of the Australian new-vehicle market for the first time.

By contrast, Ford’s sales slipped 5.2 per cent compared with July 2009, with sales of its home-grown Falcon sedan and ute both plunging 17.4 per cent, despite cut-price 50th anniversary editions.

It is the second time this year that Ford has come under attack for its long-held top three placing. In March, Hyundai successfully ousted the Blue Oval brand from top spot for the month, before Ford regained the position in April.

Australia’s overall vehicle market was up 9.3 per cent on July 2009, to 82,376 vehicles, which represents a slowing of the growth seen in the first half of the year. Year to date, the market is up 15.6 per cent, partly because of residual sales prompted by federal government tax breaks.

Long-time leader Toyota again topped the sales charts in July, selling 17,250 vehicles (up 3.5 per cent) for a 20.9 per cent share, ahead of Holden, up a similar margin to 10,648 vehicles and 12.9 per cent share.

Among of the big improvers for the month were Suzuki – up 56 per cent to a July record 2002 units, thanks to improved supply of its bargain basement Alto - and Subaru, which posted a record July sales tally of 3253 units.

Hyundai, the big improver in recent years, paused for breath with a modest 4.9 per cent lift ion July sales.

Holden’s Commodore - now in run-out ahead of the VE II facelift in October - was again Australia’s best-selling car with 3783 sales, ahead of the Mazda3 small car (3464 sales), Toyota Corolla (3375) and Toyota HiLux light truck (3106).

SUVs again led the charge with an increase of 29 per cent, followed by light commercials (up 13.7 per cent) and passenger cars (up 3.2 per cent).

Among the SUVs, the compact models made the greatest gains, up a whopping 44.2 per cent. So popular are these crossover vehicles with private buyers that they now command a bigger share of the Australian market than large cars – once the dominant species in Australia.

The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) executive director Andrew McKellar described the sales result for July as a solid start for the new financial year when vehicle sales usually slow.

“These figures provide further evidence that sales to private customers continue to increase strongly – recording a 20 per cent rise compared to this time last year,” he said.

“There is a proliferation of new models on the market at the moment that buyers are finding attractive, particularly in the SUV range.”

Holden’s Korean imports – Cruze, Barina and Captiva – all continue to impress, increasing July sales by 10, 45 and 27.2 per cent respectively over the same month last year.

So far this year, Holden sales are up 19.4 per cent, compared with gains of 4.3 by arch rival Ford and 12.5 per cent by Toyota in an overall market up 15.6 per cent.

A bright spot for Ford in July was its mid-sized Mondeo, sales of which jumped 59.1 per cent to 412 units. However, most of its volume passenger cars slipped into the red, with even the critically acclaimed Fiesta down 3.1 per cent after gaining 28.6 per cent year to date.

Toyota’s local hero, the Camry, lifted in July, up 22 per cent over the corresponding month last year, to 2095 units, thanks to incremental sales of its hybrid variant that hit the market earlier this year.

However, its other locally made car, the Aurion slipped 30.7 per cent, to 970 units.

Toyota’s traditional strength – in rugged SUVs and light trucks – shone in July, with LandCruiser crunching its rivals in both wagon and workhorse guises, while Prado again topped the medium SUV charts with 1265 sales, just ahead of Holden’s Captiva.

The popular compact SUV class was again topped by Subaru’s Forester (1321 units), ahead of Toyota’s RAV4 (1139) and Nissan X-Trail (1034), but gold stars for the biggest gains go Nissan’s Dualis – up a massive 608 per cent to 531 units on the strength of new 2WD models – and Subaru’s new Outback (up 311 per cent, to 543).

In the luxury SUV bracket, BMW’s new baby, the X1, ousted long-time leader and stablemate, BMW X5, 266 to 231.

The battle for the lead in the top-selling small-car class was won by the Mazda3 (3464), ahead of the Toyota Corolla (3375), ahead of the Hyundai i30, Holden Cruze and Mitsubishi Lancer.

Toyota’s Yaris light car win the battle of the midgets with 1697 sales, just ahead of Hyundai’s Getz (1581) and Mazda2 (1305). However, if the Getz and its new stablemate, the i20 (213), are added together, Hyundai has the bragging rights.

The medium brigade was again dominated by Toyota Camry (2095), with the Mazda6 again runner up, despite a 5.7 per cent slip in sales over last year.

The large-car segment slipped back 13.1 per cent in July, with declines registered by all the major players, including Commodore, Falcon and Aurion. Howver, the segment is still clinging to a 2.0 per cent gain year to date.

Among the luxury cars, Mercedes-Benz’s best seller, the C-class, is top of the pops with 490 sales in July, ahead of rival BMW’s 3 Series (389), effectively reversing the situation of July 2009.

Likewise in the large luxury class above $70,000, the Mercedes E-class sold 140 units to BMW’s 5 Series (72 units), which is early days in the introduction of the latest model.

In light trucks, the 4x4 variety again led the charge, up 27.5 per cent compared with a meager 3.5 per cent gain by the 4x2 workhorses.

The evergreen Toyota HiLux topped the 4x4 utes with 1897 sales, while Nissan’s Navara rampaged up the list with a 51.9 per cent sales gain, to second place and 1270 units.

Of the local utes, Holden’s Ute clobbered the Ford Falcon Ute, 1055 to 610, but Ford’s imported Ranger returned the favour by blitzing Holden’s 4x2 Colorado one-tonner, 468 to 190. Top-selling brands July:
1. Toyota 17,250
2. Holden 10,648
3. Ford 7375
4. Mazda 7374
5. Hyundai 6531
6. Mitsubishi 5029
7. Nissan 4646
8. Subaru 3253
9. Honda 3150
10. Volkswagen 2922
http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577750015E96D
Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

one thing the govt can do for the local industry is bring back the tariffs. people say aussie cars are too expensive but truth is, its expensive to manufacture cars in aus. we can never compete with offshore labour costs and production.

for some strange reason, people think that offshore products are still far superior to the homegrown products. its a mindset that is no longer applicable.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #5
Trek
Blue blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
one thing the govt can do for the local industry is bring back the tariffs. people say aussie cars are too expensive but truth is, its expensive to manufacture cars in aus. we can never compete with offshore labour costs and production.

for some strange reason, people think that offshore products are still far superior to the homegrown products. its a mindset that is no longer applicable.
prydey, you're spot on, definitely one thought that has been thrown around in my mind lately (more than previously), with regards to tariffs.

As for that perception, not sure what can be done there, sadly.
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #6
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow the ute is disappointed, 610 sales
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can see Ford slipping to 5th in the next 12 months. Sad, but we will see Ford as a minority player.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:27 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe Ford better release exactly what is coming up with V8 models now as I can't see it hurting current sales, particularly XR8 utes as there are no current sales to hurt.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:29 PM   #9
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek
prydey, you're spot on, definitely one thought that has been thrown around in my mind lately (more than previously), with regards to tariffs.

Not a lot while successive governments keep throwing around Free Trade Agreements....

http://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/ftas.html

....don’t get me wrong I have no problems with FTA's (some) but while labour costs in Aus are higher than those we sign up with locally produced items will always attract a higher price, and as the majority of the Aus public are trying to saving a buck (nothing wrong with that!) the local stuff will always come second....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:33 PM   #10
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith
Maybe Ford better release exactly what is coming up with V8 models now as I can't see it hurting current sales, particularly XR8 utes as there are no current sales to hurt.
agreed, you have a good point, wheres the harm ?

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 04-08-2010, 07:40 PM   #11
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:

So tell me, what will increasing the prices of imported cars do?
Do you really think it will encourage people to purchase a Falcon or Commodore? Will it really increase their sales?
I wouldn't and many others wouldn't either.

Have a look at the article again and take note of what is selling. Small-Medium cars and compact SUVs. Buyers are changing their preferences, they don't want a large sedan.

If you want to force buyers to buy local then you may as well just ban everything else.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Do you really think it will encourage people to purchase a Falcon or Commodore? Will it really increase their sales?

Have a look at the article again and take note of what is selling. Small-Medium cars and compact SUVs. Buyers are changing their preferences, they don't want a large sedan.

If you want to force buyers to buy local then you may as well just ban everything else.
Listen to this man, his finger is on the pulse.....

Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #13
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek

I don't like the idea of tariffs, I want to be able to choose what I want without having to pay extra tax because its not an aussie car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:01 PM   #14
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another problem for Ford is the holding pattern they're in re future Thai sourced Focus (new model) and Fiesta's. Until then they can't compete fully on a value basis as the change will allow either cheaper cars or much higher spec levels for the same dollars. 2011/12 can't come soon enough, if that makes sense.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 08:50 PM   #15
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:

The Button plan has gone too far. Time to put up some trade barriers before it is too late.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 PM   #16
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i like the level playing field myself , people wanna buy wanna support other countries manufacturing at the expense of our own ..........let them pay the extra tax .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Allot of your points are not valid... Holden will be building a small car, Toyota builds a medium car & Ford builds a SUV & a large sedan is still this counties best selling car!!! The local have a lot to offer!! Whilst I agree you can’t force people to by local, but local manufacturing needs to be on a level footing with imports & to achieve this taffies are needed to combat countries cheap labour. Also, if we don’t protect local manufacturing (not talking about just cars), then everything will be imports & this country will be screwed!!

I guess with no (or very few) Wagons & V8's we are seeing an I6 sedan number.. V8’s can't come quick enough..
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Also, if we don’t protect local manufacturing (not talking about just cars), then everything will be imports & this country will be screwed!!
Sorry Joe but that boat sailed years ago................

......as a country we will sell anything to anybody, it's all about the quick buck, get with it half the houses where I live are owned by overseas investors...

Old 04-08-2010, 11:13 PM   #19
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The top ten cars for the month were:
1) Holden Commodore 3783
2) Mazda3 3464
3) Toyota Corolla 3375
4)Toyota Hilux 3106
5) Ford Falcon 2342........
6) Hyundai i30 2333
7) Holden Cruze 2179.....(Down from last month's highs)
8) Mitsubishi Lancer 2177
9) Toyota Camry 2095
10) Toyota Yaris 1697
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
The top ten cars for the month were:
1) Holden Commodore 3783
2) Mazda3 3464
3) Toyota Corolla 3375
4)Toyota Hilux 3106
5) Ford Falcon 2342........
6) Hyundai i30 2333
7) Holden Cruze 2179.....(Down from last month's highs)
8) Mitsubishi Lancer 2177
9) Toyota Camry 2095
10) Toyota Yaris 1697
I'm hoping there is a good reason for this. Even in the midst of the GFC Ford were pumping better numbers.
Quote:
July 2009 Figures
Ford 7783

Ford Falcon - 2837
Ford Falcon Ute - 817
Ford Territory - 939
Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 PM   #21
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/busi...-1225901082444

Quote:
South Korean carmaker sees dramatic lift in sales, VFACTS numbers show

* John Durie
* August 04, 2010 1:19PM

HYUNDAI is the star performer in an Australian car market that is defying the gloom in the wider retail industry.

The South Korean carmaker has increased its sales dramatically over the last two years.

VFACTS figures for the year ended July showed total vehicle sales rose a strong 15.6 per cent, although the pace of growth slowed.

April sales were an all-time record, and year-to-date sales for the first four months were up 20 .s per cent.

The car sector is now doing better than the rest of the retail industry. Sales of private cars were flat last year, when government handouts were pumping general-merchandise sales and people were worried about their jobs.

Consumers today have slowed down on general-merchandise purchases, but, feeling more secure about their jobs, they have returned to the car market.

Its stock price was slammed down some 12 per cent, on a 6 per cent fall in earnings before interest and tax, as well as lower margins.

The stock was floated by Goldman Sachs in November, 2009, just days after the Myer IPO, and both private-equity sales have left the buyers in worse shape than the sellers.

Toyota remains the market-share leader in passenger cars, but its slice of the pie shrank from 20.9 per cent last year to 20.3 per cent this year.

Holden, in second place, has picked up somewhat to 12.9 per cent, compared to 12.5 per cent last year, while Ford has dropped to 9.2 per cent of the market.

Hyundai is fast closing the gap with Mazda, with an 8 per cent share in July, compared with 6.8 per cent a year ago and 5.1 per cent two years ago.
Old 04-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #22
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I'm hoping there is a good reason for this. Even in the midst of the GFC Ford were pumping better numbers.
Last July Ford was selling Falcon sedans and wagons. This July Falcon is only available as sedan.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2010, 11:58 PM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Last July Ford was selling Falcon sedans and wagons. This July Falcon is only available as sedan.

And?? The dropping of the wagon was to open up space for the ute, sedan and terri.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #24
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We do keep hearing all the time from the main man of over time, saturday shift, but where are all these cars going??? Ford have not sold that many more locally built cars, yet I'm sure they must have built allot more? Stock levels must be going up again??
Old 05-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #25
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Ford is building SFLPG Wagons until the end of September - Petrol has finished.

So Wagons will be in the sales mix for a while.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #26
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
We do keep hearing all the time from the main man of over time, saturday shift, but where are all these cars going??? Ford have not sold that many more locally built cars, yet I'm sure they must have built allot more? Stock levels must be going up again??
There is no more assembly plant Overtime for the forseeable future.

Things aren't that bright.

Hopefully 50th Anniversary models boost sales.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

Oh dear, that is a worrying development.
I wonder what went wrong in the market place to cause Falcon sales to slip that badly.

This is Falcon's 50th Anniversary and if Ford can't stage manage brilliant sales this of all years,
they never will......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 07:46 AM   #28
prydey
Rob

Quote:

its about saving the local auto manufacturing scene!! there'd be tens of thousands of jobs wrapped up in the industry and it is facing real pressure to survive.

the choice is still there.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8

That is not good.. Are the worried at all & do they have any plans to change anything to try & help??
Old 05-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #30
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
its about saving the local auto manufacturing scene!! there'd be tens of thousands of jobs wrapped up in the industry and it is facing real pressure to survive.

the choice is still there.
You are spot on Prydey, why do you think the Americans were so keen to keep their auto industry intact as much as possible after it's imminent collapse? If they have to go to war ala WWII then they would still have their manufacturing base to work off. With natural resources set to dominate much of the world trade well into this century and even into the next, we cannot afford to be so blind in this country either.

Bud Bud
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post