Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #1
CARLO5

Default Auiii Xr8..... Help!!!!!

Hey guys i'm brand new to this, i'm seeking good advice!! Ive an AUIII XR8, the log books tell me its an ex victorian hwy car, prob suggests why ive an unusual diff ratio. Revs very high in 5th on freeways ect. Its got 225000km, the gearbox is tired, the whining bearings have told me so. I plan on getting the box rebuilt next wk, but come tax time i'd like to make my car go a lil harder. I understand that with the mileage i may need a rebuild, i like the car and would like to keep it for as long as i can, so if i have to rebuild it to ensure that, no probs. My budget is about 6-8 grand, what do u's suggest in way of engine upgrades, remembering i dont wanna spend the whole lot on mods if its gonna cook the motor and then i have to rebuild it after. I was thinking maybe to just rebuild it and put a stroker kit on it... is this a worth while idea?? Anyone got a better idea. Any help would be great!! CHEERS!!!

CARLO5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2009, 03:51 PM   #2
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Yes mate, you can't go past the extra torque of a stroker. However, this will test your gearbox, so think about ditching the std one in favour of a Tremec 6 speed. This will help with your hwy revs also. Contact Mal Wood in Qld . A mate of mine has done this with his AUIII XR8 and very happy
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #3
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

When you say revs very high in 5th on the freeway, how fast you going ?

my car in 5th @ 110kph is doing 2300rpm with std diff ratio which is 3.45.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

While a stroker would be nice 6/8 k won't quite do it, more like 10 to 12k 225klm. on the Windsor is not that much realy First I would have it checked over by a good work shop, Comp test ext. then if that looks ok just go with the usuall mods good exhaust, Tune ,CAI, this and when you refreshen auto put a 2 1/2, 3000 stally with a shift kit should get you moving along nicely and you should still have change for a tank of fuel or 3 to go cruizin :
M2CW.......

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
CARLO5

Oh, it has an exhaust already and its a manual not an auto.... Yeah i think the comp test and stuff is def the sensible option. Umm i got a dumb queation but what's a CAI? lol... cheers and thanks for bearing with me!
Old 19-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #6
CARLO5

Also can anyone tell me what it should cost me to reco my 5sp... different gearbox joints have been spinning me all sorts of crap. Best deal so far is full reco $1150? is that a fair price. Thats them pulling it out too.
Old 19-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARLO5
Also can anyone tell me what it should cost me to reco my 5sp... different gearbox joints have been spinning me all sorts of crap. Best deal so far is full reco $1150? is that a fair price. Thats them pulling it out too.
Nice pick up then being a manual most of the cop stuff were auto , $1150 for a rebuild is not to bad supply and fit ,mine was $1800 under warranty
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 04:58 PM   #8
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be worth mentioning to the gearbox place, that you'll be pushing more power through the box. Sometimes a reco is little more than replacing some bearings and painting her up, you dont want one of these reco's.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2009, 01:41 PM   #9
CARLO5

Well in my last venture in the mighty XR8, there was a tremendous bang, as the shifter popped outta gear, a bit of a rev as it was now in neutral, and all my gears were lost... lucky i was doin 130km and managed to roll 7km down hill to a servo!!! I'm thinking the gear selector fork has probably snapped..... All an expensive exercise!!
Old 22-01-2009, 01:45 PM   #10
CARLO5

the 1150 buck price i put up for my box was also crap... the transmission bloke was useless and only quoted me for the friggin bearings. I found a T5 box same as mine only 60K on it, will prob get it for a bit under 1500.