Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #1
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Default Is the radiator stuffed?? (Pics)

Gents, I have been losing some engine coolant lately and spotted a stain in the under tray of the T3. The car has been sitting for a couple of weeks so I fired it up this morning, let it idle for 10mins and the coolant started to pool.

It’s the passenger side of the car where the leak is pooling but I can’t actually see where it’s coming from. The hoses look fine.

Looking at the pics is the general consensus that the tank is split??

I don't want to drive the car radiator shop to have the cooling system pressure tested because the car may become undriveable after that and I’ll be paying them to replace the radiator.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y30...ent=Movie2.mp4
Noddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Re: Is the radiator stuffed?? (Pics)

certainly look like the side tank has split.
Old 23-01-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

Noddy, as Austin has already said as well, it looks like your diagnosis is correct. I just bought and installed my new Natra radiator, it was only $180. I thought that it would be more expensive but was pleasantly surprised.
-Craig
crakrz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-01-2012, 01:42 PM   #4
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Great price Craig! Last time i replaced one of these Au radiators i had a problem cracking the fitting on the transmission line. In the end it twisted the pipe and i had to cut the line to remove the radiator. Since then i have seen other people mention they had the same issue.

Did you have this issue replacing yours Craig?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 23-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 

When i did my cam swap last year, I remember mine being very tight, just made sure I had a good purchase on the fitting inside the tank with my spanner to keep it from twisting and the 2nd spanner on the male pipe fitting. It is definitely a 2 spanner job. Then the 2 spanners are just brought in together to crack the bond of the 2 threads. I have seen people just try to undo the tranny line one and of course the whole thing twists around in one or snaps.
When I put things back together, I always think of the next time they may need to come apart, so everything with a thread gets put together with Loctite Anti-seize paste. From wheel studs to spark plugs and everything in between.
So a couple of months ago when I decided to change my radiator, it all came undone an absolute breeze. I wouldn't leave home without the stuff.
-Craig

Last edited by crakrz; 23-01-2012 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Addition of text
Old 23-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ive got an Adrad in mine for about the same price, easy to fit too. I did get caught though, with the Adrad you have to keep the metal tabs that the screws for the radiator go into to hold it to the support if that makes sense.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #7
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Mine was the same Aust.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by crakrz
Mine was the same Aust.
Funny now i think of it, I pulled the old one out and left it aside then found myself needing those parts thinking 'oh $#!^$#&@ i chucked it out' - then turned around and it was in the garage next to me.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:57 PM   #9
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Cool, thanks for the tips.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 23-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Noddy - I would spend a few extra dollars and get the copper core radiator version. Less prone to cracks or leaks around the tanks and tap. I got mine done a year ago and paid $70 more than a standard one. My mechanic who was a head mechanic for Ford here in SA for many years said the standard type rads tend to crack again after 2-3 years on a 6. Not sure what its like on an 8, but its worth paying a bit extra for a bit of peace of mind.

Just my 2c worth though.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
Noddy - I would spend a few extra dollars and get the copper core radiator version. Less prone to cracks or leaks around the tanks and tap. I got mine done a year ago and paid $70 more than a standard one. My mechanic who was a head mechanic for Ford here in SA for many years said the standard type rads tend to crack again after 2-3 years on a 6. Not sure what its like on an 8, but its worth paying a bit extra for a bit of peace of mind.

Just my 2c worth though.
Yeah I have ordered the arad copper core, only an extra 25 bucks. Funny thing is the arad rep said cracking tanks in the factory AU radiator is unusual, not in my experience.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 24-01-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy
Yeah I have ordered the arad copper core, only an extra 25 bucks. Funny thing is the arad rep said cracking tanks in the factory AU radiator is unusual, not in my experience.
haha. My mechanic says the opposite. He reckons any longer than 3 years out of a standard radiator you are doing very well. But he swears by the copper core versions. You got yours for a dam good price mate. Worth every cent as well as the peace of mind.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 24-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #13
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Craig the car has done 60,000klms. Should I replace the thermostat while it's apart or should it be fine?

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 24-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Mine is showing no sign's of leaking and has 60,000klm's on it and I have had it since new, maybe I just have a good one, (touch wood).
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #15
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Good pickup there Noddy with the copper core. I would definitely replace the t/stat. Just check to see if your stock one has a small air bleed hole in it. A lot of aftermarket ones don't, so I drilled a 3mm hole in mine to help getting air locks out. You just position the t/stat so the hole is in the 12 o'clock position when installed. Because the t/stat has to be held in place vertically while doing up the housing, I use a small amount of adhesive to hold it in place first. Make sure to use some sort of anti seize on the threads to help in the future.
-Craig
Old 24-01-2012, 01:58 PM   #16
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

I forgot to mention, that after 10yrs and 140,000km, I had no issues with my radiator. I just replaced it, because I had it in the shed. I have had my other one tested and repainted and now it's my spare.
-Craig
Old 24-01-2012, 02:21 PM   #17
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Good pickup there Noddy with the copper core. I would definitely replace the t/stat. Just check to see if your stock one has a small air bleed hole in it. A lot of aftermarket ones don't, so I drilled a 3mm hole in mine to help getting air locks out. You just position the t/stat so the hole is in the 12 o'clock position when installed. Because the t/stat has to be held in place vertically while doing up the housing, I use a small amount of adhesive to hold it in place first. Make sure to use some sort of anti seize on the threads to help in the future.
-Craig
Where do you get the Loc tite anti seize from can you just get it at any retail store or online ?.
I would like to get some of this stuff for future project's/working's.
Old 24-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Mine was cracked at 85,000kms. I didn't replace the thermostat but will do so when I flush the coolant next - hopefully involving a cam!
Old 24-01-2012, 03:42 PM   #19
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Where do you get the Loc tite anti seize from can you just get it at any retail store or online ?.
I would like to get some of this stuff for future project's/working's.
I just get mine from Autobarn. But a bearing supplier or bolt bar will definitely carry it. It comes in a white tub and the lid has a brush attached. Once you use it, you always will in the future. My dad is a farmer and always put it on his irrigation equipment and farm implements. If he spotted me putting something together without it, I would get a clip around the ear. So I guess it's a family tradition. Click on the link below.
-Craig
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...hUjdeacLEcKHHA
Old 24-01-2012, 04:12 PM   #20
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
I just get mine from Autobarn. But a bearing supplier or bolt bar will definitely carry it. It comes in a white tub and the lid has a brush attached. Once you use it, you always will in the future. My dad is a farmer and always put it on his irrigation equipment and farm implements. If he spotted me putting something together without it, I would get a clip around the ear. So I guess it's a family tradition. Click on the link below.
-Craig
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&so...hUjdeacLEcKHHA
Thank's for that mate, I will go and get some.
Old 24-01-2012, 10:51 PM   #21
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my tanks did`nt get a chance to split, about a 100000k`s it started leaking from the core just a tiny pin hole,, i don`t have a lot of faith in these crappy modern alloy radiators, by my reckoning it`s time for no.3 now..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #22
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

i've gone through 2 Adrad heavy duty radiators, and at over $300each... first was an upgrade from the ****y standard unit, the 2nd was from a crash repair.

Still worth it in the long run...
Old 25-01-2012, 01:57 AM   #23
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I use Molytec nickel based anti-seize from an aerosol can. Easy to apply, though you do have to be a bit careful about overspray... but I'm sure my exhaust manifold iron won't mind a bit of the silver stuff, makes it look newer

I got it at a bearings place, I think it was about $35.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mine leaked from the plastic end tank.

Ended up getting the ADRAD copper core double thickness rad in the old work ute .... and it worked a charm ... stayed a little cooler on winter mornings though.

Now to replace the BF one ... at least now there are no cooler lines into the rads anymore.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 02:24 PM   #25
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Where are you boys buying your radiators?

The old man has asked me to replace the radiator in his AUIII ute.

Is there an option to buy a radiator with a heavy duty auto tranny cooler, or am I better off fitting an external tranny cooler?
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 02:26 PM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I got mine through NatRad ... and opted for the ADRAD radiator through them.
I went a twin core (double thickness item) ... copper core.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #27
blueoval
Critical Thinker

external tranny cooler is the safest bet. Don't risk running the in tank types. Rupturing of the trans cooler in tank will mean a new gearbox otherwise.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 03-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
external tranny cooler is the safest bet. Don't risk running the in tank types. Rupturing of the trans cooler in tank will mean a new gearbox otherwise.
Been there, done that... not fun!
Old 06-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #29
Noddy
Mercury Silver T3

Just thought I'd mention that I've replaced the radiator and thermostat in the t3.
I didn't have any issues this time and we knocked it over in around 4hrs when you add all the chit chat.

One thing though, the thermostat I purchased was the correct one listed in the Tridon cat but when i checked the temp stamped on thermostat itself it wasn't the same as the factory unit. Factory unit was 88c, replacement was 82c. As it turned out everything was shut by the time I found this so I went ahead and fitted it and if need be would replace it later.

So as you would expect the engine runs noticeably cooler with this thermostat. Is this ok or should I re-fit an 88c thermostat?

Btw thanks for advice guys.

2017 Magnetic Mustang

What to hear a tuff T3?
Click here
Old 06-02-2012, 06:57 PM   #30
blueoval
Critical Thinker

In theory it should be ok. But the ecu will compensate and probably adjust itself with more fuel thinking the engine is too cold. That is my guess. im probably wrong.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont