Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-08-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
mowog
Discovery 4

Default Windows 7 RTM

Well I am impressed. So far I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate on 2 systems 1 64bit on my desktop and 32bit on my HP 2133.

The HP 2133 (netbook) is a different computer now that the heavy and hopeless Vista Basic is gone. I think Microsoft have nailed it with Windows 7.

Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

RTM? Is that full versions?

Im looking at formatting my old work horse today, its only a P4 1.6, 1GB RAM (although im told I can buy a 2GB USB drive and "use" it as ram), small graphics card and a few HHD's.

Would W7 be any good on this or should I just stick to XP SP3, which I dont have a problem with but thought id ask.

The new laptop that is coming will get W7 for sure.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #3
mowog
Discovery 4

RTM = Release to market

Yes it is the full version it wont go to retail sales until October. Partners, OEM and Technet members get access now.

I would leave the old laptop on XP but any new system get windows 7.

My bigger system at home didnt get as much benifit from Win 7 as it is a fairly high spec system. And in fact some apps like Lightroom seem slower
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
mowog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2009, 09:47 AM   #4
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can get the 7RC version, with a six month licence on the cover of pc mags this month. I bought ULTIMATE $14.95 as it has the "how to" guide for 7.
I partitioned my hard drive and have both 7 and VISTA on my laptop. Installed no problems and Action Centre found and updated drivers for me. So far don't see much difference between 7 and VISTA. Will I spend $199 and update ? Not sure , see how 7 goes over next few weeks.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
RTM? Is that full versions?
RTM, release to manufacturing (I've also heard marketing but very rarely). It's close enough to the final release - OEM's may tweak it with different driver suites, etc.

I've got the 64bit version running and I quite like it. Can't directly compare it to Vista performance wise since I built a whole new box and stuck W7 on it. One thing I have noticed that I can compare is file transfer on my home network is *significantly* faster to and from this box.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post