Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-07-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
ch33z1l
Dawn

Default Queensland Police concerned about unprotected wi-fi networks.

Hey guys and girls,

just wondering if anyone has read that Queensland Police will be trolling streets searching for unprotected wi-fi networks in the effort to prevent identity theft and fraud.

Thoughts?

Waste of time really unless they send in IT guys to address the problems.

And really it should be up to the manufacturers to auto-configure these settings rather than just have a 'plug it in, quick setup' approach.

http://apcmag.com/police-go-on-patro...i-networks.htm

ch33z1l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Even Non-Open Wireless Networks are easily broken these days.....

Good luck to them.

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch33z1l
Hey guys and girls, SNIP - And really it should be up to the manufacturers to auto-configure these settings rather than just have a 'plug it in, quick setup' approach.

http://apcmag.com/police-go-on-patro...i-networks.htm
No thanks, I'll configure my own.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

Well they are trying ?

I imagine if those who think its a stupid idea got all their private details stolen they might stop and think that maybe the Police are good for trying !

AC/DC
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sometimes there is a reason to have an open network.

Seems like an odd thing to do, then again i guess now the cops can get torrents and pron without doing it at the office
Old 23-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #6
Tuddy200
Reaching for 200...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/DC
Well they are trying ?

I imagine if those who think its a stupid idea got all their private details stolen they might stop and think that maybe the Police are good for trying !

AC/DC
You are correct, and most users won't know they need to protect thier wireless connections. I have yet to come across a router/access point that didn't have detailed instructions on the different security levels but you'd need to make sure your reading all the information provided as thier isn't a big wanring label like thier is on smokes type thing.

I think it'd be more effective educating people, or making these people more aware that they need to protect thier wireless networks, they can then read the information for themselves, weather it's in the manfractuers information booklet, forum like this one, etc. but if they still choose not to protect themselves, that's not our problem. ie. Our Tax Dollars!

04' BA XR6 - Blueprint - 6 Speed with Rip Shift - HD Clutch
2.5"/BFGT Exhaust System with Quad Tips - 4490's Extractors
19" ROH Flares - 20% Underdrives - Interior Colour Coded - Sunroof - BOSS Bonnet
Stage 2 Crow Cam's - Crow Cam's Valve Springs - BPR Airbox
M86 LSD Diff with 4.1s - Upgraded Brakes with Slotted DBA 4000's
Leather Interior - Rear Power Windows

Projects Underway: Sound System
Tuddy200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 02:40 PM   #7
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Greg's Sixpart defence of a wifi network
1) stealth SSID
2) big WEP Key
3) dont tell people I have Wifi
4) low power Wifi
5) watch out for strangers on the property
6) live in the middle of a 5 acre block
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Being in IT the majority of my clients have NO IDEA they even need to secure their wireless networks.

I think there should be better warnings on the equipment regarding the need to secure their network after it's setup. I might even get more calls if they do!
Old 24-07-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Lynch'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG

2) big WEP Key
There's your security floor (WEP). Easily crackable and even if you go 256bit you're only pushing out the time it takes to crack, not the difficulty. Your neighbour sitting in their bedroom with readily downloadable programs, a wifi adapter and a pringles tin or wok can easily crack your wireless overnight without you being any the wiser.

Ceramic coated 4490's, Magnaflow high flow cat, Twin 2.5" Mercury exhaust, BPR CAI , Territory tessa pipes. :evil3:

20% Underdrives waiting to be fitted

My Build Thread
Lynch'd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

a while back it was front page on a local newspaper

the part i found amusing was that one known hotspot was the local department of public prosecutions office
Old 24-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #11
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

I lived in Brisbane for 18 months and never once paid for internet, I downloaded over 100 gig of stuff without having to leave my apartment......

Craig
MYVYSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 12:01 AM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYVYSS
I lived in Brisbane for 18 months and never once paid for internet, I downloaded over 100 gig of stuff without having to leave my apartment......
Hi, I am a thief.

People leave their letters and newspapers in the front yard so I just take them.
People leave their cars in car parks so I just steal them.
People have money and valuables in their pockets as they walk around, it is there for me to take so I take it.
Children leave their toys and bikes out in the open so I grab them for myself.

It is perfectly ok for me to steal anything that I can, if it is not locked up it is fair game.

I am a thief........

AND SO ARE YOU MYVYSS.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 12:53 AM   #13
XR6Runner
Sling Shot

Quote:
You're admitting this? You better hide your personal details, quick smart. You could get into a lot of trouble mate.
XR6Runner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Hi, I am a thief.

People leave their letters and newspapers in the front yard so I just take them.
People leave their cars in car parks so I just steal them.
People have money and valuables in their pockets as they walk around, it is there for me to take so I take it.
Children leave their toys and bikes out in the open so I grab them for myself.

It is perfectly ok for me to steal anything that I can, if it is not locked up it is fair game.

I am a thief........

AND SO ARE YOU MYVYSS.......

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Hilarious it was my companies Internet....so I guess its not stealing, go live in the USA the amount of open connections is astounding, the only thing that makes it bad here is the ISP's stupidity of actually setting limits they are the thiefs not me mate. Remove the limits and give a flat rate for everyone with unlimited bandwidth and maybe we wouldnt need to worry about network/wifi security......

Craig
Old 25-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #15
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Runner
You're admitting this? You better hide your personal details, quick smart. You could get into a lot of trouble mate.

Why what will I be charged with, Please oh I also have sped in a car and dropped patches and was involved in street racing on numerous occassions......

Craig
Old 25-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL Hilarious it was my companies Internet....so I guess its not stealing, go live in the USA the amount of open connections is astounding, the only thing that makes it bad here is the ISP's stupidity of actually setting limits they are the thiefs not me mate. Remove the limits and give a flat rate for everyone with unlimited bandwidth and maybe we wouldnt need to worry about network/wifi security......
If you owned the company then you did pay for it which means you are a liar.

If you just used your employer's company internet for private purposes without permission then you are stealing as a servant.

If you used your your employer's company for private purposes with permission there is a fringe benefits tax liability.

And most importantly, if you discovered that your employer's network was insecure and rather than tell them you took advantage of it you are a disreputable lowlife.

Regardless of this, for you to make such a statement in a thread about police investigation into fraud and theft implies you are either a thief, a liar or a fool.

So which one is it?

All criminals have excuses.......
Old 25-07-2009, 03:31 PM   #17
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember doing a course on cisco routers years ago and we were talking about security the instructor got his palm pilot out showed us how many unsecured networks he could pick up it was pretty frightening to see that so many people are unaware that someone can access there email accounts and cause all sorts of problems .
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
1) stealth SSID
2) big WEP Key
3) dont tell people I have Wifi
4) low power Wifi
5) watch out for strangers on the property
6) live in the middle of a 5 acre block
lol wtf WEP? That's been the weakest link for over 10yrs. USe WPA2.
Old 25-07-2009, 06:21 PM   #19
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Things have changed around my way, I remember a couple of years back I had a bit of a LAN here one night and a couple of mates who bought laptops picked up four unsecured networks from my living room, including one with a half decent net connection which someone managed to leech about four gig from before the network mysteriously disappeared.

Then walking the laptop around my backyard they found an additional two, and out the front yet another. It seemed as if my wireless connection was the only one secured in our area - plus the SSID is hidden.

For the record even though I knew these networks were around I never once deliberately accessed or used them - and I couldn't really stop my mate that night, what was I gonna do, kick him out my house? He could have still kept going from off my property while sitting in his car! Now there seem to be less networks popping up in a search, and the ones that do are secured.

Isn't one of the best ways of securing your wireless by telling the router what MAC addresses are allowed to use it, then just enter the MAC's of any computers you want to allow (for example your PC and laptop) and then ONLY those machines can actually use it?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #20
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
If you owned the company then you did pay for it which means you are a liar.

If you just used your employer's company internet for private purposes without permission then you are stealing as a servant.

If you used your your employer's company for private purposes with permission there is a fringe benefits tax liability.

And most importantly, if you discovered that your employer's network was insecure and rather than tell them you took advantage of it you are a disreputable lowlife.

Regardless of this, for you to make such a statement in a thread about police investigation into fraud and theft implies you are either a thief, a liar or a fool.

So which one is it?

All criminals have excuses.......

Mate I think you need to lead that high horse to water...it must be thirsty.. I am none of the above, however I think you must be an Olympian as the height to which you jumped to conclusions must be gold medal winning. Not every company has a bunch of limits, if the company is aware but chooses to not secure, and that choice makes free internet available to all people not just employees there is NO fringe benefit...I am struggling to work out if you are a Tax Office Employee, a sworn member, just anotherr do gooder with too much time on their hands that spends it nit picking and making assumptions on others based on posts on forums....but in my view you are obviously a MEMBER.......I am sure you have done nothing ever wrong in your life, and I look forward to seeing you nominated as the next Pope.......

Craig
Old 25-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #21
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So in a thread about investigation into fraud and identity theft via unsecured wifi networks you big note yourself by making a statement that you never paid for internet for 18 months and then when questioned on it you now back pedal and state that said internet connection was a perfectly legal employer supplied service to you.

Ok, I withdraw the thief and liar accusations....
Old 26-07-2009, 02:07 AM   #22
Sourbastard
Contributing Member

i think you are all missing the point. Stealing Internet, who cares, big woop. Steal my paper from my front porch, see if i give a crap.

The issue here is connecting to a wifi point is a back door into someones LAN, which bypasses any firewall on the device. Meaning that you can then run rootkits, exploits and any other wonders across said LAN, harvest information, setup phishing, or setup bots. All of which are a far greater hazard, than the warcrime of "stealing my internets"

1965 XP Falcon Deluxe Sedan
1978 XC Falcon Wagon Rallypack
2003 BA Fairlane G220

Windsor Powah!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7hT9dxD2hM

Sourbastard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 09:37 AM   #23
AC/DC
" Let there be Rock "

I knew of a guy who went to uni, , and on the walk from the Uni to the bus stop there was a house that had open WiFi, , and about 20 uni-students sitting on the footpath each afternoon waiting for the bus ! ! ! ( mind you the bus stop was about 200m away )
AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 11:35 AM   #24
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
i think you are all missing the point. Stealing Internet, who cares, big woop. Steal my paper from my front porch, see if i give a crap.

The issue here is connecting to a wifi point is a back door into someones LAN, which bypasses any firewall on the device. Meaning that you can then run rootkits, exploits and any other wonders across said LAN, harvest information, setup phishing, or setup bots. All of which are a far greater hazard, than the warcrime of "stealing my internets"
The cure - no WiFi:

Living proof that Harry Potter wasn't the only one found in the cupboard under the stairs. (Note the high tech cooling tower on the left.)

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2009, 07:30 PM   #25
MYVYSS
Back where I belong

Quote:
So in a thread about investigation into fraud and identity theft via unsecured wifi networks you big note yourself by making a statement that you never paid for internet for 18 months and then when questioned on it you now back pedal and state that said internet connection was a perfectly legal employer supplied service to you.

Ok, I withdraw the thief and liar accusations....

Oh so cause I managed to get some free internet, you automatically jump to the conclusion that I stole someones indentity and or bank details....I dont withdraw anything, I never big noted myself about anything I simple said I lived in Brisvegas and never paid for internet for 18 months, you made the assumptions......the first 3 letters of said word which is exactly what you are.....

Craig
Old 26-07-2009, 08:30 PM   #26
Marduk
BFII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnedout
The cure - no WiFi:

Living proof that Harry Potter wasn't the only one found in the cupboard under the stairs. (Note the high tech cooling tower on the left.)
And the "UNAUTHORISED PERSON SHALL NOT ENTER" sign-age should scare of those who wish to plug there cables in :P

Quote:
Remove the limits and give a flat rate for everyone with unlimited bandwidth and maybe we wouldnt need to worry about network/wifi security......
That's an incredibly stupid thing to say. All that means it people can download more illegal material that the owner of the network is responsible for.
Old 26-07-2009, 11:33 PM   #27
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wireless = evil.

I think its a good idea, Granted the police aren't out there busting heads of real criminals and what-not, but its pro-active policing, I would rank that as a good thing anyway.

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 01:50 AM   #28
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

What good is it though? "On Example St, we found 10 insecure networks all named by the WAP's manufacturer".

That won't fix anything really... at most the cop would knock on their door and say "we have noticed your WAP isn't secure". Alot of users don't know how to secure it.

I just don't see the point behind this..
Old 27-07-2009, 09:20 AM   #29
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

if i had wireless, and a laptop, i'd go war driving
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #30
JamesR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

posting to say i have used other peoples wifi.
what about cafe's/shops that offer free wireless?
how can anyone pinpoint the actual address that the wifi is being transmitted from?
what are cops going to do? go door knocking? 'excuse me, do you have wireless? is your SSID ... ??'

my photo blog;
http://www.jamesruff.net
JamesR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post