Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 25-03-2006, 12:05 AM   #1
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Default powersource for boot subwoofer

what is the best way to power an active sub in boot

Joes_meat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #2
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

what one of those barrel ones? or a regular car sub such as these?
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 12:28 AM   #3
Jet-Star

Uh, Don't active subwoofers have their own inbuilt AMP? Meaning all you need to do is run power to that?
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 01:55 AM   #4
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Yeah mate, one of those barrel ones. I was wondering if there is already a good power source in the boot, or if I'd have to run one from somewhere else?
Old 25-03-2006, 03:06 PM   #5
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

You will need to run a new power cable from the battery, there is no sufficient power source available otherwise...

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #6
Joes_meat
Churches Eat Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
You will need to run a new power cable from the battery, there is no sufficient power source available otherwise...
I thought that would be the case. Just thought I'd ask anyway. No sense running an extra line if I don't have to.

Thanks for your help mate.
Old 25-03-2006, 05:26 PM   #7
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
Just a positive cable from the battery to the boot (I did mine this afternoon, took me a sweet hour of lying on my back :P)

Then just earth to anywher ein the boot with a screw :P

(Just thought I'd say that he doesn't need to run both positive and negetive from battery to boot, sorry for the stupid info, but some people on some forums have no clue, and run two power cables :/)
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 05:36 PM   #8
old_mate
Smash the Boost

earthing back to the battery is a good way to get the best possible earth

Personally, i have earthed on a back seat anchor bolt. Sanded back of course. If the active sub is all your running, you should be able to get away with 8 guage which is easy to run. I ran 4 guage thru the factory main loom firewall bung, that sucked

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 08:41 PM   #9
volcom20
Ef Fairmont

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate

Personally, i have earthed on a back seat anchor bolt. Sanded back of course. If the active sub is all your running, you should be able to get away with 8 guage which is easy to run. I ran 4 guage thru the factory main loom firewall bung, that sucked
Poor man :P

I ran 4 gauge under the whole chassie through some sort of chassie rail tube, over the axel and drilled a hole into the boot :P All covered in some heavy duty plastic sheething of course
volcom20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-03-2006, 09:08 PM   #10
Jet-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_mate

I just ran my 4ga through the firewall near where the pedals are, but up out of site, couldn't be bothered trying to pull things out of the way to find an existing hole so I made a new one and use a rubber gromet+silcon.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2006, 12:52 AM   #11
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nobody has mentioned fusing. Make sure you fuse the wire as close as possible to the battery to prevent a fire in case of a fault.

I also used one of the seat anchor bolts as an earth they work well.
TwistedEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post