Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Transmission playing up when cold

bloody autos...

Was wondering if anyone knew the cause of my BTR not wanting to change into second when its cold.

Only seems to happen on cold starts, once ive been driving fort 5-10mins there is no issue.

when it goes to change I either wait a random time, or rev it over 2000rpm to make it change, there doesn't seem to be a common way to find where it is happy to change.

1st is fine, 3-4 is the same, seems odd that its only 2-3.

Any ideas?

• 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #2
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Hey Al,

I'm not quite following. Is it the 1-2 change or the 2-3?

I remember a while back when my EB's old auto would hold on to 1st a bit when cold, and when it could change it would be marginally harsher than normal, & I think it was due to the S5 solenoid.

Could be an S5 issue?
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Dave, im 90% sure its the 2-3 shift.

/replays start up in the morning.

Into reverse, out of driveway - all good
Into Drive, revs rise to 2000rpm and still no change (part throttle, push accelerator until something happens) and then it will either change with a thud or change sometime while the revs are falling. I can sit there lightly tapping the accelerator and ive got no drive.

2-3 change is a tad harsh.

All of this started to happen after I picked it up from getting the front bar fixed at a smash repairs place...never happened before...grr

Its just weird that it only seems to happen when its cold. even if it sits for a few hours after a drive its fine. Odd. Once warm its like nothing is wrong.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 19-08-2009, 03:19 PM   #4
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Since you said it only happens when it's cold, it suggests to me that it may be getting low on trans oil or your oil needs changing.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Into reverse, out of driveway - all good
Into Drive, revs rise to 2000rpm and still no change (part throttle, push accelerator until something happens) and then it will either change with a thud or change sometime while the revs are falling. I can sit there lightly tapping the accelerator and ive got no drive.
This sounds like 1-2. Remember 1st gear is stupidly tall at 2.39:1.

I'd go with Dauphin's advice first.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #6
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

yeah ill book it in for a service, I might even call them and ask if they could come around to my place and drive it to their shop so they can experience the issue.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Since you said it only happens when it's cold, it suggests to me that it may be getting low on trans oil or your oil needs changing.
10 points to you sir.

Got a call this morning and sure enough low fluid.

The interesting part is that I recently had the front bar replaced, then I got this issue and loss of coolent. My temp guage never ran into the "normal" level and now it sits on "o" (never moves above it though).

So makes me think that the dumbasses forgot to top up the trans fluid and coolent after the refitted the radiator.

Needless to say Ill be calling Shannons tomorrow. AH! I knew those muppets did something, it was a preferred Shannons repairer too!
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 21-08-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Glad you found out the cause of what was going on.

I once lost ALL my coolant on an aufalcon.com cruise. I only discovered it had happened when someone wanted to see my engine, it had happened some time during the day.

We were up in the hills and drove a good 70+ kms home with no coolant, the car never seemed any different.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Glad you found out the cause of what was going on.

I once lost ALL my coolant on an aufalcon.com cruise. I only discovered it had happened when someone wanted to see my engine, it had happened some time during the day.

We were up in the hills and drove a good 70+ kms home with no coolant, the car never seemed any different.
Failsafe cooling paid for itself (not that it was an extra or anything). Thankfully ford did something right for once in developing this (though it's been on cars in the US of A for years).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post