Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
trbo 6

Default AU S2 XR8 Problem

I've just taken my, just bought 2001 XR8 ute get the steering checked and they said the shaft with the uni joint in it from the firewall to the steering rack is shot! So the price from ford for the replacement unit is $490!! That's the whole unit from steering rack to firewall. So my question is, does this sound right? Is there an easier/cheaper way of fixing this, as in aftermarket products?

trbo 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #2
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes they are dear from frod and im not aware of any aftermarket raplacements.

Just check it, the bloody things do pop out of position (they are held in with a round clip on spacer type arrangement).

They are actually quite easy to remove and replace, you need to undo the two bolts that hold it to the steering column and the steering shaft (you need to remove the bolts completely for it to slip out of the spline, and be very carefull not to reef on it and push on it as it can screw up your clock spring)
then theres a plate at the bottom of the steering column, you need to undo the 6 nuts and pop it out of position (gently, trying not to wreck the gasket)
pop the uni joint in its position and then refit.

Hard to put it in text but if you have a look there you can see what has to be done.

Where abouts are you?
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 10:05 PM   #3
trbo 6

I'm in Parramatta (Sydney). The car is at a shop at the moment and he said labour would be about an hour = $88. I'm also getting a pink slip and wheel allignment, so if the $490 is about right, I'll just get the shop to do it.
Old 20-08-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah from memory the steering shaft is about $190 and the uni joint is about the same price from frod so your quote sounds about right for that fix.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It's a pity actually that you have a V8, the 6cyl one is $330.00. $490.00 is a good price as the Ford price is $524.90 retail.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
trbo 6

Too good! Thanks for the quick reply! I had to get back to the shop tomorrow whether to go ahead with it, so it's great to get an answer so quick. Thanks!
Old 21-08-2009, 01:25 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trbo 6
Too good! Thanks for the quick reply! I had to get back to the shop tomorrow whether to go ahead with it, so it's great to get an answer so quick. Thanks!
Are these the same part as E series? If so, when mine went in the NF V8, I got one from an EL 6 cyl from the wreckers and fitted it - fixed the "wandering" steering wheel issues, and the only difference between the V8 one and the one for the 6 cyl is the heatproof wrap on the V8 one - I transferred it from the old to new, and did the fix for around $50 all up.

You don't need to undo the uni joint to replace just the shaft. You undo and remove the bolts (10mm head, IIRC) as Philstoj described, but then just pull the shaft up towards the firewall/uni-joint, release it from the rack end and then pull it off the uni joint. Fitting is the reversal of removal.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post