Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
fernsantos

Default Ford DEALER list of wrong items advise needed

My car is a AU2 2000 I6 Fairmont Ghia 170000KM I took it to a Ford dealership today and I got a list of items wrong with it.

I need some advise of the cost of these items as well does anyone know any good mechanics in the Sydney area that can do these items.

WELSH PLUGS

INLET MANIFOLD GASKET

VCT SEALS

TENSIONER SEAL(the car does have a small oil leak I presume it would be from this item)

STEERING RACK(I got a price for a power steering rack $350 supply and installed as I know it is leaking.)

Any help would be great
Thanks

fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

1st mistake, you took a decade old car to a fraud stealership.
Just about any local servo mechanic will be infinitely better.
$350 for a reco rack supply and fit is fine. Do it.
Get a second opinion before you go throwing a four figure sum at a decade old car.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I agree that the rack price is good.

What are the prices Ford quoted you for the rest of the work?

I reckon that some other guys here will be able to help you find a good mechanic in your area.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsantos
My car is a AU2 2000 I6 Fairmont Ghia 170000KM I took it to a Ford dealership today and I got a list of items wrong with it.

I need some advise of the cost of these items as well does anyone know any good mechanics in the Sydney area that can do these items.

WELSH PLUGS

INLET MANIFOLD GASKET

VCT SEALS

TENSIONER SEAL(the car does have a small oil leak I presume it would be from this item)

STEERING RACK(I got a price for a power steering rack $350 supply and installed as I know it is leaking.)

Any help would be great
Thanks
You could try a bloke I know who is a very good mechanic and he is in Penrith, his business name is All West CV 47312083.

And, not ALL FORD dealers are bad like some people here say.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #5
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
You could try a bloke I know who is a very good mechanic and he is in Penrith, his business name is All West CV 47312083.

And, not ALL FORD dealers are bad like some people here say.

i agree, my ford dealer gives me parts at there cost cause ive bought so much stuff from them.

On topic, mate Inlet gasket. $20 or so, not a hard job if u got someone who could help u and knows a little bout cars u can change it yourself, learn a little at the same time aswell.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2010, 11:49 PM   #6
urbancowboy

Rack is a good price but get a 2nd opinion on everything else!

I also agree that not all Ford service centre's are rip off's! Only some are this way.
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
Firebell AU3SR

Wow, $350 is a great price for the rack.I phoned a number of Power Steering places here in Perth and was quoted between $650-$690 supplied & fitted and that is not including a wheel alignment.Pedders quoted around $850 including alignment.
Firebell AU3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #8
fernsantos

Default what is VCT SEALS & TENSIONER SEAL is it expensive to fix

Are the VCT SEALS and TENSIONER SEAL expensive to replace can someone let me know the cost involved.
Thanks
fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just had a call from my local mechanic that the RWC for my AU2 Wagon with 145k's on it and full service history RWC cost is $1600.... Rear Brakes, Fuel pump, Rack, steering pump, etc...

I cant wait to get rid of this diabolical POS... Third AU ive had and third one ive had nightmares with, NEVER will i ever own an AU again... EVER.

Old 09-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #10
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Just had a call from my local mechanic that the RWC for my AU2 Wagon with 145k's on it and service history RWC cost is $1600.... Rear Brakes, Fuel pump, Rack, etc...

I cant wait to get rid of this diabolical POS... Third AU ive had and third one ive had nightmares with, NEVER will i ever own an AU again... EVER.
Ive had 2 AU's Norm and nothing but wear and tear
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ive had 2 AU's Norm and nothing but wear and tear
Ive never had a good run, i know they're not a bad car, my XR8220 was the "best" of the 3, i just seemed to have owned 1 "ok" one and 2 shockers...
It was a work run about but I should know better than to keep cars longer than 100k's..

To the OP, its quite possible the list is accurate....

Old 09-04-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
MAV50L
Banned

The problem with AU's is they were not that loved in the first place so a lot of them were not treated that great. They were just hacks.
The main thing with them but is they are at the age where stuff starts to crap itself. Whoever owns one at the moent will hate it due to having to fix everything on it and the next person will think it is great as it will give them very little trouble , as it has already been done.
MAV50L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #13
illusivedreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
1st mistake, you took a decade old car to a fraud stealership.
Just about any local servo mechanic will be infinitely better.
$350 for a reco rack supply and fit is fine. Do it.
Get a second opinion before you go throwing a four figure sum at a decade old car.

I agree not all ford Dealers are bad,

Considering they make bugger all on a car sale you will have to forgive them as most of their profit is on after sale service cars are sold at : $10 profit,

Have worked for a few dealerships in my life/
K&N Panel Filter
FG XR6 17" Rims 245/45-17 tyres
XR6T Snorkle
BA front Caliper Conversion 300mm With Bendix Heavy Duty Pads
Tow bar
Transmission Cooler
illusivedreams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 10:40 PM   #14
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just make sure the whole steering rack needs replacing (probably does), just incase its something simple, like the power steering switch.

I was having my shocks replaced recently, and they said I had a severe leak in my powersteering switch. They could replace it, but it will cost about $160 to replace.

I rank my mechanic (who was installing a CD Player later in the day anyway) and he said to drop past repco on the way over, they have the switch waiting for me there, for $6. Took him all of 10 mins to replace.

The rack probably does neck replacing especially if its the original rack, but just make sure before you go spending big when it may not be needed.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:36 PM   #15
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV50L
The problem with AU's is they were not that loved in the first place so a lot of them were not treated that great. They were just hacks.
The main thing with them but is they are at the age where stuff starts to crap itself. Whoever owns one at the moent will hate it due to having to fix everything on it and the next person will think it is great as it will give them very little trouble , as it has already been done.

i agree, i have owned my au for over 4 years now, only prob i have had is, pedal box has broke twice, and the roof lining is only starting to fall off now. MY car was a ex telstra car so i say it would of been serviced regualry
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 PM   #16
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Ive never had a good run, i know they're not a bad car, my XR8220 was the "best" of the 3, i just seemed to have owned 1 "ok" one and 2 shockers...
It was a work run about but I should know better than to keep cars longer than 100k's..

To the OP, its quite possible the list is accurate....
My work run around is now on 215k's 5.0 AU driven like crap and still spot on ....
Have had 6 AU's, still got 3, sedan, wagon and ute ...... most reliable cars I have ever owned .... and I have had a few.

But sorry .... off topic and partly my fault. Get second opinion but some Ford dealers ... as said above ... are very good. Just a few that spoil it for the rest

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post