Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-08-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default radiator hoses

just wondering if any one knows what sort of tool you would need to undo the top + bottom radiator hoses on a XR8 one end is your usual philiphs head screwy the other is a round headed thing : note; (small vise grips are your friend )

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:15 PM   #2
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I believe the round thing is a cap, pop it off & you can get to the phillips head.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:23 PM   #3
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
I believe the round thing is a cap, pop it off & you can get to the phillips head.
puff puff... runs back in from shed ... :thebirds: your belief is rite it is a cap go figure ..thanks for that .. next question... how can you get the gunk out of radiator header tank ... short of buying another :

Quote:
Old 13-08-2006, 08:26 PM   #4
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au2falcons
Nope, thats the way they are, they have a tab on them, and when it gets tight it breaks off, its not a cap, thats what you need to turn to loosen the clamp.
Vise grip is your freind, or a set of cresent pliers. :
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:29 PM   #5
Au2falcons
Winter all year round

I just did a coolant change on my AU today, I removed the tank & blocked all the outlets, filled it with water and shook the crap out of it.

It got 80% of it off, according to the gregorys workshop manual you can use baking soda to clean out, just make sure you rinse it out properly.

Cheers,

Adrian.

Recommend trading with Mechan1k, Offyaguts, EDMONTY, PhantomXR8, HOTC2R, Partie & JC
Au2falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i work on earthmoving machinery and we clean out radiators with omo and finish in the powder form.. you just mix it with the coolant, run it for a day and then drain it and its pretty clean. alot of on highway trucks do this too and its perfectly safe to do on cars aswell

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
i work on earthmoving machinery and we clean out radiators with omo and finish in the powder form.. you just mix it with the coolant, run it for a day and then drain it and its pretty clean. alot of on highway trucks do this too and its perfectly safe to do on cars aswell
lol i guess it could also clean out the inside of your engine... :
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #8
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

umm....no??

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 10:10 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

I used to remove the overflow tank (pretty easy only a few screws and pipes) fill it with water and a little gravel (yes rocks!)

Shake it for a while, and it will come up like new!! Just make sure you rinse the crap out of it and don't shake it too hard.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I used the baking soda as suggested in the manual and it gets rid of 99% of the discolouration but not the scum that resides on the walls of the header tank.

For that I used sand (sand and water slurry)... shake it about for a while and rinse thoroughly.

Works very well.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I just bought a BA header tank ... fits perfectly ... LOL
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2006, 02:03 PM   #12
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Thanks gang ..left it soaking over night in a sugar soap solution followed by baking soda & vineger.. got 80% of it out. priced a new one for $90 but mite go with the "BLING" alloy for a early christmas prezzy for me :

Quote:
Old 14-08-2006, 07:30 PM   #13
NeishaXR8_347
SS Grunt

once you clean it, paint it up to a matching colour to something and it will look great, just leave a little part on the side so you can see the level even tho you dont need it cause you have the coolant level sensor.
NeishaXR8_347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post