Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-11-2005, 01:12 AM   #1
BLACK 6
★★★

Default Audio Set-Up for my EF

Hey
Supercheap auto is having a 20% sale tomorrow so that's why I've decided to push forward my plans of getting my audio set-up.
Just wondering what everyone else has here:

What are some good speakers (6x9's) whether 3-Way, 4-Way..
and 2 amps or 1?
Thanks, but I do need answers quickly

BLACK 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:21 AM   #2
Oz Dude

Step 1. Figure out what your budget is and what you will accept as far as quality and output are concerned.

Step 2. Get the best quality speakers you can afford. Preferably splits for the front with a 5" mid driver and then a set of 2 ways for the rear. You can bolt a 12" sub comfortably under the parcel shelf and have it fire through the factory port.

Step 3. Once you've settled on your speakers, match the RMS output of the amps to the speakers. For cost saving you could run 1 x 3 channel amp - L&R to the splits and the mono to the sub, and drive the rears off the deck. Rears should only be for "fill".

Before you go spending up big at Supercheap, get some specs and some prices then go to a car audio outlet and see hoe their prices stack up on other brands. Better to spend a couple of hundred more and get better sound than to blow it all on a "sale" and compromise. Not saying Supercheap have bad stuff but sometimes good prices are available in more places than one...

My $0.02.
Oz
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
Quicklier
Perfecting the 1-2 change

I Totall agree with Oz Dude.
Sound is always better than noise!
I probably wouldn't spend too much time looking at Supercheap for stero stuff. Get a used head unit (ebay is a good start) and go from there. You'll want some good splits for the front, and something to do some mid range out the back. Unless you're spending big $'s, I wouldn't invest in the amps yet... get the basics right.
You'd be surprised the sound you'd get out of a Pioneer head and some boston acoustic splits...
Quicklier is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 02:10 AM   #4
Oz Dude

The last time I bought audio I did a full system from scratch for $5K installed.

Alpine CD head unit / CD changer (boot mounted)
Focal Splits in the front (1" Tweeters and 5-1/4" mids)
Factory rear speakers (fill only and run off the deck)
2 x 8" Focal Subs mounted in custom fibreglass enclosures in front of the seats (see pics)
2 Alpine Amps - 1 for the splits and 1 for the subs.

Sound clarity and punch was the brief. Didn't want doof, doof. Also needed to maximise available space. Lost 2" of boot and nothing in the cabin as we used an "unused space". Ended up with a system that even impressed the Focal and Alpine reps. Roof up or down, it is sensational and the clarity is better than anything I've ever built (including a $12K monster system).

Now if $5K is over budget, like Quicklier said, start with the basics. The head unit and the splits would run you less than $1K. Work up from there.

Some pics:

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
LTDHO
The one and only

Don't buy car audio from anywhere other than a car audio shop. Oh and I wouldn't waste any money on 6x9's.

Go to an audio shop. Listen to display board. Ask 1000's of questions. Get good stuff. Cheap audio sounds cheap and is purchased from Supercheap!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2005, 09:32 PM   #6
big_pete
Sublime

my audio system cost me $45 and it sounds great!!
i got some sansui 6X9's from Strathfield for $40 because they had no box. (where originally $160)
and they threw in a set of 5inch speakers for $5!.
and my head unit is an old kenwood handme down.

works perfectly and cost bugger all.
the sound probably isnt the best, but for $45 im not complaining..........